Redline MTL Vs Honda MTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 Honda Accord has a 5sp manual. It requires the use of Honda manual trans fluid. Redline MTL is the replacement equivalent. Honda calls for this fluid to be replaced every 30k. Considering Redline is synthetic should you replace it at 30k or can this be stretched out to 60k

i use the MT90 in my 2001 TT + former 2001 jetta manual trannys + shifting was improved greatly. Redline is surely a better lube + will last maybe twice longer, you can prolly go by shift quality. if its shared as most FWD cars are + theres very little lube used it takes a beating, but honda is known for great manual trannys anyhow!!

I’ve always experienced an improvement with Redline MTL. It’s the gold standard for MT fluids in my opinion.

I'd still do it every 30k anyway, even with synthetic.

But I thought the MTF was part of the minder
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I’ve always experienced an improvement with Redline MTL. It’s the gold standard for MT fluids in my opinion.

+1. It does make huge difference, shifts like butter, I'm going to assume bc it has the GM synchomesh add pack to it. My old Toyota Camry that had a manual I used redline mt-90, shifts were smooth

The Honda MTF, for whatever reason, is magical stuff. Back in my Acura/Honda days, guys would swear up and down by it -- many tried other fluids but always came back to the OEM fluid.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The Honda MTF, for whatever reason, is magical stuff. Back in my Acura/Honda days, guys would swear up and down by it -- many tried other fluids but always came back to the OEM fluid.

Honda OEM makes my trans notchy feeling, I don't care for it.

I had good results using Amsoil MTF in my old 5speed. It was between that and this Redline MTL for me. Makes me wonder if the more often you change it possibly the better off synchronizers are longterm? I had a 92 with worn synchros so we usually could wait longer on Amsoil. The Honda stuff started shifting poorly more quickly compared to Amsoil. So, change it before the FMs wear out perhaps; even if the base oil protects everything else it might start causing poor shift quality to surface. Going to 40k-45k should be fine, IMO.

Last edited:
The OLD Honda MTF was fantastic for the older Hondas. When the new version came out that was thin as ATF I saw very poor shifting right off the bat using the new version.

And for the record, Honda used to recommend motor oil before they released their original MTF. After their MTF came out, Honda changed their recommendations to only use oil as a TEMPORARY substitute for MTF.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
The OLD Honda MTF was fantastic for the older Hondas. When the new version came out that was thin as ATF I saw very poor shifting right off the bat using the new version.

Dang, sorry to hear they changed it. The old stuff in my Integra and S2000 was remarkable.

I believe the amsoil stuff is based off motor oil. Redline and Honda is a 75/80 wt oil. I believe the red line also has GM synchromesh fluid in it the MTL says it can be used in GM Transmissions. I believe I will change out the fluid on my next oci the synchronizers in Honda's transmission is a weak point. The transmission holds 2. 1 quarts not very much fluid in there
I remember the last time I changed it it flows very smooth but leaves a very tacky feeling on your fingers. That's a good thing,. The Honda when did not feel that way. Yes the old 90s Honda took motor oil 5w 30

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
How can the Amsoil "Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid" be based off of motor oil?
confused.gif

The same way Honda MTF is
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
How can the Amsoil "Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid" be based off of motor oil?
confused.gif

smile.gif

Honda mtf has a gear oil smell to it. Redline MTL has a gear oil smell, redline states that it is a 75/80 but has the flow characteristics of a 5/30 motor oil

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
confused.gif

smile.gif

Honda mtf has a gear oil smell to it. Redline MTL has a gear oil smell, redline states that it is a 75/80 but has the flow characteristics of a 5/30 motor oil

Ya, that's what I was getting at. It can't be used in an engine and is thinner for an MTF; but so are others.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
I believe the amsoil stuff is based off motor oil. Redline and Honda is a 75/80 wt oil. I believe the red line also has GM synchromesh fluid in it the MTL says it can be used in GM Transmissions....

I am not sure how one could arrive at that conclusion.

The Amsoil MTF is a dedicated (meaning a "specific application") 9.7 cST MTF, which has a similar viscosity to that of a 5W30 engine oil, but the formulation of the MTF is TOTALLY different than that of a 5W30 PCMO.

The Redline series of MTF's DO NOT have GM synchromesh fluids in them and are a formulation developed by Redline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back