Best gun oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
This guy did a test of alot of gun lubes http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Hornady One shot did pretty good and is relatively cheap.

I don't think it's meant for high volume use though. The instructions mention re-application after a few dozen rounds. It's also hella toxic. guns are toxic enough with all the mercury and aerosolized lead. Many people say "What's a bit more?", but I say "As little as necessary".

Originally Posted By: Tdog02
0w-20 mobil 1 will work for just about any gun. I use gun grease on the rails.

That is what I use and I add a bit of CLP to it.

I just bought a Ruger Mark II from my grandmother and was wondering what the use in it. Got some Castrol thirty weight in the shed....not real sure what to clean it with and wonder if the thirty would be too thick in cold weather. I'm going to shoot the [censored] out of this little gun.

Any store featuring gun oils and gun lubes/cleaners is where you should head-to.

Your life's priorities are backwards if you choose to pay next month's internet bill - to talk oil at Bob The Oil Guy, versus getting the proper products to protect your home and family.

Motor oil and motor cleaners are for your engine. Gun oil and gun cleaners for your gun.

Mobil 1 Ow30. Good for engine, good for weapons and saves me a trip to the gun store which usually tend to be exponentially more expensive than my trips to the auto parts store.
wink.gif

For solvent it’s hard to beat plain old gun scrubber, ballistol or hoppes.

Last edited:
On cheap - Rem Brite Bore for barrel, Outers Nitro Solvent for general cleaning, Mobil 5w-30 oil.
Best - Wipe Out for barrel, Outers Nitro for general cleaning, Mobil 5w-30 oil.

I use only one particular Penn Plat and one particular Castrol Edge in my engines thou. Not a fan of Castrol or Mobil otherwise, and not brand biased.

Remington has a Rem Oil Bore cleaner containing a jeweler's rouge-type compound to remove stubborn fouling, but Bore Bright is a Brownells product, a very fine polish, to use at the end of a complete cleaning of chambers and bores.

Brownells J-B Bore Cleaner, paired with Kroil, is an excellent bore cleaner. It saves a lot of needless, tedious scrubbing of the bore with solvent patches. Use it after an initial brushing with any good solvent and patches. Hoppe's or Ballistol is fine. Then clean with the J-B and Kroil, allowing the Kroil time to penetrate. Wipe clean with patches wet with Kroil. Any slight residual fouling can easily be removed with more J-B/Kroil or a specific copper or lead remover.

In a pinch, a touch of Simichrome polish or Flitz can be used on a patch wet with solvent to clean a bore. Just don't over do it, and thoroughly wipe and/or flush the bore clean afterwards. I am recommending no more than 6 or 8 passes to break up fouling. Finish cleaning with a good solvent. Butch's, Sweet's and Montana all seem to have their proponents fir removing copper fouling; just follow instructions to the letter.

You do clean your rod, wiping it between each pass down the bore, always use a bore guide or muzzle guard, and always wash these, your brushes, jags, etc. in warm water and detergent, and drying them after each cleaning session?Why of course!

It is interesting to read where people will clean their chambers and bores with Hoppe's and re-clean the next day with another agent. When they find more residue on the patches, they immediately declare Hoppe's to be inferior, inadequate for the job.

What they should do is try the reverse after another shooting session, keeping the conditions the same. Clean first with the supposedly "superior" product, wait a day,then reclean with Hoppe's. The residue will almost always appear again. That's because the truth of the matter.is that each solvent has different strengths snd weaknesses. No one solvent does it all. My own practice is to clean with either of any two solvents, removing traces of the first with naphtha on patches before employing the second solvent, or by employing J-B Bore Cleaner/Kroil or the similar but not quite as good (no Kroil!) Remington Bore Cleaner.

We don't have to be fanatical at each and every cleaning. But it nice to know how to render an arm very clean.

Hoppe's with T3 is a very good lubricant, excellent on actions and Hoppe's "Black Rifle" line certainly deserves investigation. My experience with the carbon remover has been very positive on an AR15 BCG.

The lubricants recommended by Grant Cunningham in his article on gun lubication (Google it) continue to be improved, and they were a pretty darn good oil and grease to begin with. A solvent has now been added. Just buy the package and stop fretting.

Nyoil is recommended by Grant, and if you use it, you will see why. It is safe, clean, general purpose gun oil. It should be much more widely used, as it is both economical and effective. I will be putting some of it up in a little to-go bottle for range and field. Anyone sho uses or would like to use ATF as a lube or cleaner, should use Nyoil instead.

Brownells Action Magic should see wider use in protected areas on actions and triggers (it is grey/black due to moly-D content), where it will protect metal from corrosion as well.

The Tetragun line has continued to impress me, especially their grease, beyond my expectations, for three decades now. If I give a cleaning kit to a new gun owner, I now always give the Tetra Gun lubricant psckage as well. It has fixed some issues in guns that had more than one good gunsmith puzzled.

Superlube -I am not sure, but I may give it a try. i speak here of the grease and thick oil formulations WITHOUT silicone!

I am very involved with lubricants as I refurbish okld (but very fine) microscopes, and the mechanisms are exquisitely sensitive to the the properties of lubricants used. There is one rack lubricant I have to use, which gives the right touch for focussing, which costs $50 an ounce. Others are less costly, but still specific. For instance, in an enclosed space with optics, the lubes cannot offgas. Otherwise deposits will form on the carefully cleaned lenses.

Then there are the lubricants which have hardened over 40 years. They must be chipped away.

So by contradrt, firearms are fairly forgiving. And modern lubes are, by and large, a great improvement.

Reference the post above about a bunch of heavy duty cleaners and bore cleaners.... I think the vast majority of firearms owners that use that stuff are GROSSLY over cleaning their firearms. The last time I used something like that was ... 10 years ago (before I knew better)? And I put down range $5,000 to $10,000 worth of ammo every single year.

Maybe if you are a long distance precision bolt action shooter (which I am not), or clay/pigeon shotgun shooter (which I am not) maybe, but for pistols and semi auto rifles??? I've put 15k, 20K rounds down range in a single Colt AR15, and it needs nothing more than a bore snake, a wipe down, and some fresh high viscosity lubricant.

I think the majority of folks would be well served by a simple CLP oil.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
. I think the majority of folks would be well served by a simple CLP oil.

I can think of a pretty large firearms purchaser that uses nothing but CLP on all but their largest weapons.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I can think of a pretty large firearms purchaser that uses nothing but CLP on all but their largest weapons.

I just mix CLP and Mobil 1 0w 20.

Originally Posted by Danomite
I cringe when I see " What is the best ��"

It's BITOG.

FWIW, I like SCHAEFFERS 204S All Trans Supreme plus LUBE CONTROL LC-20 as the General Purpose lube. Needle Oiler or regular oil can with applicator. Anywhere. Home, Work, etc. (With Acetone for penetrant). Guns are just another tool needing care.

Can't much see the point of Ed's Red what with LC20 to mix into synthetic ATF.

See all formulas by Molakule. Missed my chance to buy his custom gun lube formulation years ago.

Whether it was those metal cans labeled MICROLUBE I was using fifty years ago, or the plastic bottles LC20 comes in today, a quart belongs on your bench. There's always a use for it.

Otherwise:

1). Mil-Comm TW25B

2). Rem Oil

3). #9 (even though it's not what it used to be).

4). Son likes CLP. I'm not sold.

Recommend the read on the CHERRYBALMZ site re firearm lube history (multi-part), and the one on running a 1911.

For those complaining of expense by volume/weight, learn to apply. You're wasting 3/4 I'd bet with an inefficient applicator.

I've used NLGI #2 on big truck fifth wheels a long time. Then started with a semi-fluid NLGI #00 as stocked by a Penske dealer at shop.

The semi-fluid was the superior performance
choice.

I can't imagine using #242 inside a firearm. Cut it with something, somehow.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by bubbatime

They also have different priorities and an enormous budget for replacement parts.

Their guns get worn out from dirt, sand and abuse long before the bores are worn out from shooting. Not a typical gun owner environment.

They're more concerned with simplicity in the field, and reliability in use, than your typical gun owner.

But to your point: their guns last long enough with the simplest of lubes.

Which makes me think, again, that guns aren't picky...and we obsess over which brand or type when the gun will be fine with just about any of them...

Lucas Extreme gun oil is what i've been using. I got a sample when I bought a tight 1911, in 10mm. It stays put on the rails.

On the expensive end, users seem to absolutely love Weapon Shield.
My own choice (at about $8 for a 4-ounce bottle): FP-10. Great liquid lube, works well enough as a CLP, too.
I also keep a can of G-96 Complete Gun Treatment (largely for its performance as a protectant) on the bench. A bit pricey, though, but it's done very well for a long time for me.
I like a small container (liquid or aerosol) of Ballistol for the range & hunting bags as a fix-it-now product.
Good ol' Breakfree CLP is also a pretty fair one product to get it done type of stuff, IMO. Does a reasonably good job at the C, L and P. Decent stuff.
As someone mentioned earlier, proper & frequent care can pretty much take the entire question down to a shrug.

Being retired military and spending more than my time around weapons, from M4's to 20 kT W84 nukes, I would only use Break Free® CLP®.
It's simple and effective.
Don't ask me about the latter mentioned... if I told you, I'd have to kill you.
wink.gif

Brownells has a nice in - house oil / lube that looks to have nice potential CLP (Brownells Friction Defense Xtreme Gun Oil) .

I don't know that I would extend the Brownells product beyond what they intended it to be: an oil which helps carry heat away more efficiently. As civilians, we can afford to be burdened by and use several products. I would certsinly trust the Brownells oil to be a fine lubricant.

Personally, I think any one of the the major bore cleaners will do a decent job on everyday bore and chamber fouling, and I will always prefer to use Kroil and some J-B Bore Cleaner (or Remington Bore Cleaner) to the harsher chemical methods of removing more stubirn fouling. If it is good enough for the bench rest boys and girls, why not the rest of us?

That doesn't mean I am in there with an ele tric drill and scrubbing my rifling away. I simply have my reservations -as someone who taught university chemistry for years- about using harsh chemicals such as metal fouling removers more than occasionally on my firearms.

I agree with what Beretta says in more than one of their instruction booklets, that more harm is usually done by cleaning a firearm, than by shooting it.

Incidentally, many would find it instructive to read the relevant portions of Hatcher's Notebook. In there, Gen. Hatcher not only gives the formula for the cleaner he used on his own firearms (no, not the one that gave birth to Ed's Red, which I admire) as well as the formula for the original Hoppe's bore cleaner.

Gen. Hatcher was obviously an admirer of sperm whale oil. While that is unavailable today, Lubegard (International Lubricants Inc.) has developed a nearly perfect substitute which is strangely ignored as a lubricant and cleaner by this community, and by shooters at large. If you want to try sperm whale oil, there is nothing really stopping you from making use of this clever substitute. I am sure Gen. Hatcher would be using it, were he with us today.

I've been used ng Wilson Combat Lube lately and find it to be of high quality. Few drops is all it takes. I've also like using Rem oil as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back