2018 Volvo XC60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a new Volvo XC60 T5 AWD with several options added on.

The exterior color is Pine Gray metallic. It is a beautiful color that changes depending on sun light and angle viewed. Sometimes it looks olive green, sometimes dark gray, sometimes gray and green together, and sometimes brown.

The engine is a 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder. It puts out 250 hp at 5500 rpm, and 258 lb torque at 1500 rpm. Eight speed Geartronic Auto. It moves this 4,300 lb SUV around very nicely.

It has 255/45/20 tires wrapped around nice looking alloys.

The vehicle is assembled in Sweden, the engine is from in Sweden, but the transmission is from Japan. Salesman said the transmission is built by Mazda.

Volvo has traditionally used Aisin transmissions - and they are similar to what Toyota uses. I wonder if that engine is a in-house Volvo/Geely design or if they are still using the Ford Ecoboost?

I think Volvo is making great cars (as usual) but I couldn't bring myself to buy one with China being involved in the profits.

I love the turbo engines that make low and mid range torque very pleasant and usable power for daily driving.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I think Volvo is making great cars (as usual) but I couldn't bring myself to buy one with China being involved in the profits.

I could. Volvo is on a role with very nicely designed, original look vehicles.

Thank you for all the compliments.

The Volvo was not even on our radar. We were just cruising the auto park area, when we drove by the Volvo dealership and they had the XC60 parked out front and it caught her eye. We were actually really close to getting a 2018 Outback 3.6 Touring. But after a long test drive, wife was sold on this Volvo.

Thank you for pointing out that the transmission is an Aisin. Sounds like a very good thing for reliability. Sometimes it's like sales people don't know about the cars they sale. Lucky I have you guys and gals to set things straight.

Nice car. Did you look at the Forester with the 2.0Turbo?
I looked at the crosstrek it seemed a bit underpowered. But a very nice vehicle. How do you like it?

Originally Posted By: Al
Nice car. Did you look at the Forester with the 2.0Turbo?
I looked at the crosstrek it seemed a bit underpowered. But a very nice vehicle. How do you like it?

Thank you. My wife absolutely loves the looks, comfort, and performance of the XC60 T5.

We did look at the Forester XT Touring (turbo). My wife didn't like the interior. She liked the interior of the Outback Touring much, much more than the Forester. I personally had no problems with the look of the Forester XT interior, but that's because it wasn't much different looking, feeling than my Crosstrek.

I really like my Crosstrek, a lot. Sure, it is not powerful, but for its class, it's one of the better performers. Read: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/subaru/c...-term-update-2/

I couldn't imagine an better daily driver, for me, than the Crosstrek. High/er seating, great visibility, awesome turning radius for a CUV, hatchback practicality, and decent economy. I can put bigger all-terrain tires for a rugged off-roader look. Or, put good all-seasons or summer tires and it's a blast to drive on winding roads.

My Volvo's transmission was a jerky mess and needed a reflash that fixed it, and the 2.0T destroys the original spark plugs - there's a service bulletin for this. Call it a "voluntary recall." It also needed front rotors at 15k miles.

Yours being an '18 should already have these issues corrected.

That is a good looking ride. I really like the styling of the new Volvo's.

That said, after have inheriting a 1998 S70 T5 with 90K in 06, and owning it for 10 years and 80K miles (170 total), I will never buy a Volvo again. I just had way too many problems with it over that time to ever think about buying one again. The final straw was that the computer was shot. It wouldn't start reliably when the car was warm. After 3 shops (including a Volvo only shop, and a Volvo dealership) spending days trying to figure out the root cause with no conclusion, I finally sold it to a Mechanic that figured out it was the ECU was shot. I'm glad he figured it out, because I spent way too much time (DIYer for most maint) fixing stuff on that thing to see it get junked.

Yes, they drive great when they are working, but watch out after 60K. Working with folks in Sweden, they claim the same thing about Volvo.

Mazda does not manufacture transmissions that I know of. Most likely an Aisin AW (formerly Aisin-Warner) as suggested in the thread. The make a LOT of transmissions for many different foreign auto manufacturers. My '08 Mazda 3 has an Aisin 6Sp Trans.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanCO

That said, after have inheriting a 1998 S70 T5 with 90K in 06, and owning it for 10 years and 80K miles (170 total), I will never buy a Volvo again. I just had way too many problems with it over that time to ever think about buying one again. The final straw was that the computer was shot. It wouldn't start reliably when the car was warm. After 3 shops (including a Volvo only shop, and a Volvo dealership) spending days trying to figure out the root cause with no conclusion, I finally sold it to a Mechanic that figured out it was the ECU was shot. I'm glad he figured it out, because I spent way too much time (DIYer for most maint) fixing stuff on that thing to see it get junked.

Yes, they drive great when they are working, but watch out after 60K. Working with folks in Sweden, they claim the same thing about Volvo.

Pardon me sir, this is not a Volvo-bashing thread.
Please excuse yourself from this conversation.

06.gif

Mazda does not manufacture transmissions that I know of. Most likely an Aisin AW (formerly Aisin-Warner) as suggested in the thread. The make a LOT of transmissions for many different foreign auto manufacturers. My '08 Mazda 3 has an Aisin 6Sp Trans.

Thanks for the feedbacks

Good to hear the feedback.

The car feels solid. Hopefully it will provide solid reliability for many, many miles to come.

Useless info about car built two decades ago and the owner owned in latter years and had problems. Shocker.

Congrats on the XC60, we almost bought a 2017 XC90 certified used, they through incredible factory backed 7yr/100k warranty on them certified and bumper to bumper.

Excellent color! Volvo does such nice seats and interior trim. The matte wood trim in some of the XC90s and S90s is simply stunning. My decrepit old V90 wagon had probably the best beige leather thrones I've ever experienced...200k miles and the leather still looked and felt wonderful. I can't justify spending the money for a "near luxury" brand like Volvo at the moment, gotta just live with my little economy cars...

Thank you for the continued compliments.

CincyDavid, yes the seats in these Volvos are wonderfully comfortable and adjustable. They sure do feel like they will withstand the test of time. My wife made a great choice by getting the lighter colored seats, as apposed to a dark brown alternative. The contrast of the Pine Gray Metallic paint against the Amber leather is delicious looking LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back