Taurus PT-92 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find myself more and more interested in these. They can be bought brand-new for under $400 for the blued, fixed-sight version, and, it's essentially the same gun as a Beretta Model 92 (with some upgrades). For those who weren't aware, back in the '70s, Brazil decided, like our military, to equip its military with the Beretta 92, and Beretta set up a factory in Brazil to build the handguns. After they'd finished fulfilling the order, Beretta sold the factory and tooling to Taurus, who continued building the guns, using the same machines and tooling. Taurus implemented some changes, such as a drop-forged frame, and moved the thumb safety to the frame (a location I prefer), as well as adding decocker functionality to the thumb safety lever.

I realize that Taurus hasn't necessarily had a top-notch rep as a gun maker, due to some issues with some of their other guns. But this particular model, being, essentially, a re-badged (and improved) Beretta 92, doesn't seem to have any QC or functionality issues.

Everything I've heard about these has been positive, including from some friends who have them or have had them in the past. In fact, in the TTAG article I posted below, he claims the trigger on his is actually better than the Beretta he tested, and that it was more accurate than the Beretta 92 he tested (and if you look down into the comments section, he posts a follow-up to his original test, dated May 2017, in which he tested another off-the-shelf Taurus PT-92, and shot some groups which AVERAGED 2.5" at 25 yards from an improvised rest.

If you've held one, you know this is a huge and overbuilt gun to be a 9mm (of course it's also available in .40 S&W). So, probably not a great choice for CCW. But a nice choice for a car/truck gun, home defense/nightstand weapon, or, of course, target shooting.

And, it's also notable for not using the very common Browning tilting-barrel action, as used by almost every handgun on the market today. It uses the rotating barrel operating system, a la Walther P-38. I don't own any handguns that use this system, which makes it interesting to me. And, of course, it looks cool with the open-top slide.

Taurus PT-92 WIKI entry

The Truth About Guns Review (Very Good Article)

Taurus PT-92 Article, Shooting Illustrated

Hickok45 Review:

So, for $378 delivered, I'm interested!

I was torn between the Taurus and Beretta about a year ago. PSA had the Italian made Beretta on sale for $450 shipped, so I went with it. I also dolled it up a bit with the Beretta wooden grips. After untold rounds through it with never a hiccup, I’m very pleased. If you decide to go with the Taurus I’m sure it will be a good choice, but I just wanted the Italian made 92.

Own both brands and I'll never buy another Taurus again. Big mistake in purchasing a Taurus PT 111 G2 (9mm). An absolutely horrid combo trigger. I woud never recommend any handgun with features single-action and double-action combined.

I started off bragging about m yPT111 G2 also. Same as John here above. But it didn't take long for me to get customer service involved and sending that pistol back did not fix the problem and Taurus Inc stated my trigger components operated within their specs.

That's horse-poop Brazil. The worst part about Taurus is that there are no parts for them. You need to send the lifetime warranty gun into their service department, at your dime. If they find out you installed afermarket parts, the lifetime warranty is kaput.

Never again......
I have a Beretta also. Absolutely love that pistol and no problems with it.

The QC and overall quality of Taurus in no way compares to that of Beretta. Sure, Taurus is cheaper, but there is a reason for it. I have owned 2 Berettas and shot many Taurus pistols through the years, Beretta wins hands down.

My advice (for what it is worth), is if you like the Beretta style, shop around, you will find a deal on a Beretta that comes close to the price of the Taurus.

A bunch of us Taurus owners recently went through the PT145 recall. Before this I would have gladly said get the PT92, but now your money is better spent on Beretta.

The Beretta has better factory support, better aftermarket, and the company itself is still going strong.

Taurus always seems short staffed or highly disorganized.

Just my 2 cents

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Big mistake in purchasing a Taurus PT 111 G2 (9mm).

No one (or at least very few) that are well trained in SD would use one. Yes the first shot can help negate the adrenalin. But that first shot really needs to count in a gun fight and accuracy of that first critically important shot will likely suffer. Just a personal opinion. I won't fall on my sword over it.

The whole thing is, the Beretta 92FS is not an expensive pistol as full size 9 MM handguns go. And they can be had on sale quite often at places like Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. Often with a "$50.00 Off" coupon. I picked one up for right around $450.00 brand new after all the discounts and coupons. So you're not really saving that much buying the Taurus.

It's not like the Turkish Sig or Browning Hi-Power clones that can be had for less than half the price of the original... And are much better quality wise than the Taurus. I'm not saying you can't get a good Taurus. But it's not worth the gamble for the few lousy bucks you're going to save. That you will most likely lose more of, if and when you ever decide to sell it. Used Taurus's are about as desirable as a bad case of diarrhea on a crowded airliner.

A good friend I shoot with is retired Army, his MOS was small arms repair. He served in a number of different armorer jobs; at ranges, in the sandbox, supporting spec ops, etc. He told me more than once that the last pistols signed out were always the M9s, IE 92FS. The guys who's life depended on their guns hated them and especially the slide mounted safety, they called it the Kill Me Switch. The pistols would come back to the armory with the safeties superglued in the fire position and they'd have to disassemble them and make it functional again. This guy is current in many different instructor and armorer specialties, competes etc and refuses to own, shoot or look at a Beretta.

I have no opinion and have never owned one but found his strong opinion based on combat experience interesting. For the rest of us who aren't kicking in doors and crawling in sand it's probably fine.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Own both brands and I'll never buy another Taurus again. Big mistake in purchasing a Taurus PT 111 G2 (9mm). An absolutely horrid combo trigger. I woud never recommend any handgun with features single-action and double-action combined.

I started off bragging about m yPT111 G2 also. Same as John here above. But it didn't take long for me to get customer service involved and sending that pistol back did not fix the problem and Taurus Inc stated my trigger components operated within their specs.

That's horse-poop Brazil. The worst part about Taurus is that there are no parts for them. You need to send the lifetime warranty gun into their service department, at your dime. If they find out you installed afermarket parts, the lifetime warranty is kaput.

Never again......
I have a Beretta also. Absolutely love that pistol and no problems with it.

I don't blame you for having a negative opinion of Taurus after a fiasco like that. But, like I was saying, the PT-92 series are not like any other Taurus. These are made on Beretta machinery and tooling, and have actually been improved through the years from the original Beretta design.

Originally Posted By: billt460
The whole thing is, the Beretta 92FS is not an expensive pistol as full size 9 MM handguns go. And they can be had on sale quite often at places like Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. Often with a "$50.00 Off" coupon. I picked one up for right around $450.00 brand new after all the discounts and coupons. So you're not really saving that much buying the Taurus.

It's not like the Turkish Sig or Browning Hi-Power clones that can be had for less than half the price of the original... And are much better quality wise than the Taurus. I'm not saying you can't get a good Taurus. But it's not worth the gamble for the few lousy bucks you're going to save. That you will most likely lose more of, if and when you ever decide to sell it. Used Taurus's are about as desirable as a bad case of diarrhea on a crowded airliner.

You do make some good points. At this time, the cheapest I've seen the Taurus PT-92 for is around $378 shipped. Honestly that's not quite a good-enough deal for me to get sprung on one, especially, like you said, when the Beretta 92 can be had for $450 or less, new. If they got down to $350 shipped, or a little more for the polished SS finish, I'd probably get one.

While it’s not new and I’m unsure how it compares to their quality now, I have a PT99 Taurus. Never had an issue with it. I don’t like DA/SA in general but either gun will have that. I can deal with that by carrying it cocked and locked, something the Beretta’s could not do when my Taurus was originally purchased.

I once walked into a gun dealer that did a lot of business with police departments. I asked if he had any trade in Beretta 92FS pistols. He had many. I said give me your most beat up one, and make it cheap. He brought out a decent one, and I think he priced it around $250. It was definitely worth the price.

If you look around, you can get a real deal Beretta 92FS for $325-$375. Even new you can sometimes find them for $449.

I understand the Taurus Beretta copies are decent for what they are. If that's what you can afford, then buy it. I can afford more, so I think the money spent for a real Beretta is worth it. My only Beretta right now is a $1250 Wilson Combat Brigadier. Great gun.

I paid $425.00 outthe door for a stainless Taurus PT92. I have a few Taurus guns including the PT111G2. Mine has been a great carry gun. I've never had to deal with Taurus customer service before so I can't speak to that but I've not heard overwhelmingly good things about it. I'd say the biggest issue I have us the trigger pull on a Model 94 revolver. ..but in my experience .22 cal. revolver triggers on most makes suck unless you lay out the dough for a custom trigger job which I'll never do.
I have a Taurus Model 65 .357 revolver and it's every bit as good in every aspect as my pre lock S&W 686.I look at Taurus as the Chrysler Dodge Jeep of handguns. Innovative and sometimes you get a great vehicle but there are those that end up with a bucket of bolts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I once walked into a gun dealer that did a lot of business with police departments. I asked if he had any trade in Beretta 92FS pistols. He had many. I said give me your most beat up one, and make it cheap. He brought out a decent one, and I think he priced it around $250. It was definitely worth the price.

If you look around, you can get a real deal Beretta 92FS for $325-$375. Even new you can sometimes find them for $449.

I understand the Taurus Beretta copies are decent for what they are. If that's what you can afford, then buy it. I can afford more, so I think the money spent for a real Beretta is worth it. My only Beretta right now is a $1250 Wilson Combat Brigadier. Great gun.

For me, it’s not really a matter of what I can afford. I’m not wealthy but I don’t mind spending $1000 on a nice handgun (I have a Browning Hi Power, a Dan Wesson 1911, and a Smith & Wesson 686, among others). I like getting a lot for my money. Most of my firearm purchases, I end up going for something that I feel gets me a lot of gun for the $$$. And I feel like the PT-92 fits that bill. I’m sure the police trade-in Berettas you mentioned are a good value too.

Bet that Wilson Brigadier is sweet.

18.gif

If you want a frame mounted safety, then Taurus, or the Beretta at .380 and below.

If you are okay with a slide mounted safety, or no safety, then Beretta.

Or just get both. It's not like either one is very expensive.

I bought this PT92 AFS about 4 years ago for $379. No issues or complaints. Picked it up on a whim. I like it a lot.

Originally Posted By: Sonic

I bought this PT92 AFS about 4 years ago for $379. No issues or complaints. Picked it up on a whim. I like it a lot.

That’s a good-looking gun. I normally don’t care for 2-tone, but I like that.

Yeah, it was the color scheme on this that caught my interest. I'd always planned to buy a 92 whether it was the Taurus or Beretta. This 'duo tone' model isn't the one you see everyday. Made it a little unique.

My actual PT92 AFS. Got it out of the back of the safe. In a case with a brother. Did A little over 100 rounds through it just the other week. Laugh at me for owning Taurus pistols but, if they work I'll keep them. If they didn't I get rid of. I have 8 I think. Plenty of others to go along with. I like a variety of handguns to shoot.. I have a S&W SW40VE (Sigma) too. Flawless since 2009. Wouldn't ever tell someone to buy a gun just because the one I have works. Buy what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back