Is it bad to get WD40 on car brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, i know what WD40 is. No need to explain that it’s a lubricant, and that brakes work by friction etc. etc. I know WD 40 isn’t supposed to get on the brakes.

I had to remove plasti dip off my wheels(screw plasti dip, i’ll never touch that stuff again!!), used WD40 to melt it and then pressure washed off all the dip. Somewhere along the way WD40 got on the rotors. They still work fine, car stops fine, nothing fell off, no sounds, brakes work as usual. But there’s this hazy coat that is lining the rotors now.

I’m gonna use IPA(or possibly brake cleaner) to clean the outside surface for now and see how it turns out, but what I’m wondering is that if it will effect the pads. I read somewhere that it messes with the pad material. Is this true?

Does wd40 really soften plasti dip? I wouldn't have guessed that. I wouldn't worry about the brakes. Get the brakes hot enough and the wd40 will be gone.

Originally Posted By: avacado11
Ok, i know what WD40 is. No need to explain that it’s a lubricant

Sorry to say.....but WD-40 isn't a lubricant.

Brake cleaner on the rotors and go on your way.

I know someone that did a brake job and he LUBRICATED the rotors with the lube packet that was included with the brake pads. Came over and wondered why his brakes were smoking like crazy. A little brake cleaner and it was fine.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
IPA? India Pale Ale?

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA should take the finish off just about anything.

At last a practical use for an IPA.
grin.gif

Smoky

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
IPA? India Pale Ale?

I'm guessing IsoPropyl Alcohol...aka rubbing alcohol.

Standard chemist lingo.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Brake cleaner on the rotors and go on your way.

I know someone that did a brake job and he LUBRICATED the rotors with the lube packet that was included with the brake pads. Came over and wondered why his brakes were smoking like crazy. A little brake cleaner and it was fine.

The flipside of this is that new rotors come with a light oil on them for rustproofing and "they say" you can just slap 'em on and go. Anyone who's anyone wipes them off with or without brake cleaner, but you don't have to.

And if you're going to waste a beer cleaning the rotor use one of those nasty wheat beers. Leave the IPA's for consuming.

Ended up just wiping the rotors with ipa(rubbing alcohol), and they turned out fine. Just had me worried that the pads might fall apart lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back