2008 3/4 ton Chevy Hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at some of the suppliers of these hubs. I can chose Timken, SKF, Moog and AC Delco. All of these are considered Standard, rather than Economy. The first three are comparable in price and the AC Delco is about $50 more each. Any suggestions?

Timken made the oe for Gm, so if Timken is cheaper, do not pay more for the Ac Delco.
Timken and Skf are both good quality, any time I buy a wheel bearing or hub, those are the only brands I will buy.
Moog are ok, but most are made in China or Korea and comparable in price to a US made Timken.

I got a timken hub for my GTO about 5 months ago from Rock Auto it was made in Japan and was the exact same one that was OE on the car which was also Timken made in Japan. The bearing assembly failed because a tech was banging on the rotor and severely damaged the hub, it didn't fail due to wear. I will stick with Timken they are great quality.

SKF no question. Don't get into all the COO thing, Timken is playing a bad game with some no name bearings repackaged and I wont buy from them.
SKF, F.A.G. (INA) have factories they own, produce and QC their bearings in, Timken may or may not have factories there but they have had some hubs with no names in the box or visible part of the bearing with no COO anywhere.
NOS USA Timken were very good.

Moog was National USA made but now Chinese for the most part and only OE Delco are USA.

Last edited:
The local Timken factory is now a Koyo factory. Does Timken even make bearings anymore?

It looks like they are still making bearings but moving production to China.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AVB
The local Timken factory is now a Koyo factory. Does Timken even make bearings anymore?

Timken sold at least part of their bearing business to Koyo Seiko. The entire Torrington product line has been rebranded to Koyo.

They are all good. I would go with the cheaper priced ones since they are all going to be Chinese made.

Yes and no. Timken is heavily invested in a quite a few ventures in China, wheel hubs a bearings seem to outsourced from some unknown to us companies. this can be good or bad, we have no idea.

On the other hand if you open a plant, control the materials, foundry, casting and bearing production, the QC and even the end packaging it doesn't matter if its on mars. SKF and INA and possibly a few others are doing just this.
As is Hilti, Makita, Nikon, Canon, almost every PC manufacturer in world and hundreds of others.

I have zero issues buying from companies that do this, VW I was reading last year makes more parts in China than in Europe in their own factories for Asian product produced vehicles, some are also sent to Europe and the US/NA market. They are the same or better quality.

The COO lines have been seriously blurred over the last decade. I hate to see it but there is not much we can do about it other than not repair or own things and that IMO is getting a bit silly.
Buy what you still can based on COO and what you cant get at least get it from a company manufacturing in China or Taiwan producing their own goods there.

49.gif

Timken used to be the gold standard but as the others have stated, most of their stuff is from China now. Went through this ordeal when getting hubs for my trailblazer. The older Timkens were US made and quality but then, according to their marketing at the time, was Chinese built with American oversight. I looked at SKF and their COO was not North American I believe, or perhaps in Mexico. Anyways I went with ACDelco as they were quality made and clearly stamped made in USA. I paid dearly for that though.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes and no. Timken is heavily invested in a quite a few ventures in China, wheel hubs a bearings seem to outsourced from some unknown to us companies. this can be good or bad, we have no idea.

On the other hand if you open a plant, control the materials, foundry, casting and bearing production, the QC and even the end packaging it doesn't matter if its on mars. SKF and INA and possibly a few others are doing just this.
As is Hilti, Makita, Nikon, Canon, almost every PC manufacturer in world and hundreds of others.

I have zero issues buying from companies that do this, VW I was reading last year makes more parts in China than in Europe in their own factories for Asian product produced vehicles, some are also sent to Europe and the US/NA market. They are the same or better quality.

The COO lines have been seriously blurred over the last decade. I hate to see it but there is not much we can do about it other than not repair or own things and that IMO is getting a bit silly.
Buy what you still can based on COO and what you cant get at least get it from a company manufacturing in China or Taiwan producing their own goods there.

49.gif

Yes that was my concern, if they were just selling relabeled parts. When I was working on Semis and trailers we built our own trailers and the axles always came with cheap Chinese bearings. Those bearings would turn the hub oil black and I would eventually have to replace them. I always replaced them with USA made Timkens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back