Smoking a beef chuck roast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I marinated it in garlic powder and hickory liquid smoke,and let it cook overnight in the oven at 170 degrees. Put it on the smoker this morning around 9am along with some mushrooms and a potato. I'm going to smoke it long and slow till tonight. It's already so tender that it's falling apart. I walk outside and baste it occasionally with the drippings.

I've smoked a few chuckroasts now, and although it's no brisket, it's not bad! Was looking for something much much cheaper than brisket and googled smoked chuck roast, and found smoking it is actually a thing!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I've smoked a few chuckroasts now, and although it's no brisket, it's not bad! Was looking for something much much cheaper than brisket and googled smoked chuck roast, and found smoking it is actually a thing!

Haha yep! Kind've a cheap man's brisket!

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Why liquid smoke when you are smoking it?

I use it as a marinade. Gives it an extra boost. I've always used it over wooster.

Since it's just the two of us,we don't need a huge family sized brisket,plus the cheapest one I saw at the store yesterday was over $30. This chuck roast was only $6.

I recently picked up a 2# beef chuck roast on sale. I'm going to cube it, then firm up in the freezer a bit, then use the Cuisnart to grind it into hamburger. Chuck makes GREAT hamburgers...especially when you grind your own.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I recently picked up a 2# beef chuck roast on sale. I'm going to cube it, then firm up in the freezer a bit, then use the Cuisnart to grind it into hamburger. Chuck makes GREAT hamburgers...especially when you grind your own.

It sure does. For fun, try adding about 25% skirt steak to the grinder, or, grind some brisket. Brisket makes an awesome burger. I think Walmart stole my idea because I was doing it before they started selling brisket patties.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

It sure does. For fun, try adding about 25% skirt steak to the grinder, or, grind some brisket. Brisket makes an awesome burger. I think Walmart stole my idea because I was doing it before they started selling brisket patties.
I thought about grinding some brisket but it was more $$$$ than the roast.

Instead I'll add chopped raw bacon: More bacon, more better!

I thought about grinding some brisket but it was more $$$$ than the roast.

Instead I'll add chopped raw bacon: More bacon, more better!

What isn't improved by bacon?

NOTHING....EVERYTHING goes better with bacon!

I'll also be adding some melted bacon grease to the meat for extra flavor...

NOTHING....EVERYTHING goes better with bacon!

I'll also be adding some melted bacon grease to the meat for extra flavor...

The only thing that improves bacon is MOAR bacon!!
20.gif

Sounds good. I may try that. I’ll probably reverse it and put it in the smoker first. Alot of BBQ people will say the smoke uptake is best in the first two hours when the meat is raw. Then finish in the oven or covered. But, you can’t hardly go wrong with smoke and beef.

I recently smoked a large "london broil" (round steak mostly). Not the tastiest cut. Definitely requires marinating at least 24 hrs but can stand more. It's a very lean cut, thus easy to overcook, especially on a charcoal fire with hardwood charcoal.

For the last one, I put both piece thick end towards the fire which was on the opposite side and down low, nearly to the bottom. A few chunks of pecan made prodiginous amounts of smoke. I used a remote thermometer. As soon as the middle hit 125F, I removed, raked the fire out a bit, faned it, then seared each side close for about a minute. Then off-grill to a wire rack.

Next, grill some bread until well marked.

Raked fire evenly across, then dropped fire box to the bottom, laid down 1-1/2#'s of bacon to pecan smoke as the fire died down. Hasty-bacon goes well with everything. I lucked out as I found nice, thick bacon for only $4/#.

Why leave without it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back