Blinker Bulb MK2 Golf - great engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son's Golf required new bumper blinker bulbs. This required removal of the grille, removal of the headlights, and removal of 6 bumper bolts. After pulling the bumper out three inches there was enough room to get a hand in to remove the bulb. 30 minutes to change two bulbs! When my son mentioned this, I remembered having to deal with the same rigamarole 20 years ago. on the exact same Golf.

unnamed_1.jpg

I have never seen a MK2 where the front turn signal lenses didn't have an external screw.

Should be a screw in the lens and the signal housing pops out.

VW engineers should be forced to do repairs on the idiotic stuff they design. To change the rear bulbs on my wife's beetle you have to take out the whole tail lamp assembly, and don't even get me started on the headlamps.

Originally Posted By: Gimpy1
VW engineers should be forced to do repairs on the idiotic stuff they design. To change the rear bulbs on my wife's beetle you have to take out the whole tail lamp assembly, and don't even get me started on the headlamps.

On my friend's Ford Focus you also have to pull the whole tail light assembly to replace any bulb.

Having to pull the entire assembly is nothing new... Many vehicles have been like that for years.

Now, when they went to this nonsense about having to pull the entire front clip to replace bulbs? That was garbage.

Every time I have a Chevy Malibu owner come in with a burnt out headlight and they hear it's $150 to replace bulbs they almost hit the floor in shock.

Originally Posted By: red7404
i wouldnt say that removing that many bolts ect is a good thing.

You are probably saying that because of the post header.
lol.gif

Another embarrassing fail from VWOA.

You guys get the only Mk2 that doesn't have a Phillips screw holding the lens in place - this allows the rest of the world to change the bulb in c. 30 seconds.

VWOA products STINK!!

Try changing the tail light bulbs on an 80's chevy Malibu SW, remove the rusted rear chrome bumper,the headlights are not much better.
Its not only VW that do bone head moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back