Spark plug wire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced plugs on my 2011 Ford Ranger 4 cylider.
All other wire snap on, fit perfectly. But one cylinder wire wont go all the way in. Ive tried everything i could. I was thinking old plug was very rusted so maybe plug wont go all the way in? I tightened down more on plug very carefully and took them off/on and cleaned them. Nothing really helped.

Wire actually seat, i had to pull hard to take it out again. It just not goes all the way in...

Wire is Motorcraft. Plug also Motorcraft.

Thank you

Did you grease it? The wires usually come with some kind of grease you apply to the plugs and also the contacts on the coil. And wouldn't you be installing new plugs when you replace the wires?

NGK includes a packet of grease with their wires
smile.gif

Somehow original one did not go in all the way too. I should have look before take them off.

Yes, i did grease it.

If the connector is locking on to the plug it sounds like the plug wire boot has slid up on the cable. Try pushing down just the boot over the plug.

Put just a dab plug wire grease inside the boot and all of the top seal of spark plug boot. Then never use pressure washer to clean top of engine off. That's why the spark plugs rusted, trapped water. If you do "wash" engine....pull the all the wires and blow out with air until completely dry. My 2010 Ranger 4 cyl had some moisture on the plugs from the detail shop washing the engine bay.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Put just a dab plug wire grease inside the boot and all of the top seal of spark plug boot. Then never use pressure washer to clean top of engine off. That's why the spark plugs rusted, trapped water. If you do "wash" engine....pull the all the wires and blow out with air until completely dry. My 2010 Ranger 4 cyl had some moisture on the plugs from the detail shop washing the engine bay.

I bought this truck used. So not sure what happened to plugs. It was also gapped at 0.060.

Is yours go all the way in?

Originally Posted By: andyd
Boot grease is your friend. Learned that the hard way on a Jeep V8 one Saturday plug change from Hades.
grin2.gif

Haha yeah it sure helped one of other cylinder but not this one 😥

+1 washing the engine is a bad idea. Also the grease is not just grease for the boot but is dielectric to keep the high voltage from shorting across the boot. Apply dielectric grease liberally especially if you get your engine wet.

Originally Posted By: s2krunner

I bought this truck used. So not sure what happened to plugs. It was also gapped at 0.060.

Yep. Wires pushed in, in one steady push. I swear I could feel the snap on the plug tops.

Originally Posted By: s2krunner

Yep. Wires pushed in, in one steady push. I swear I could feel the snap on the plug tops.

I pushed them more other day. Back side of coil snapped in but half didnt lol. So half of it snapped in and half not. Definitely its not something i like how its done but well i can live with it. My finger been hurting for couple days haha
I will change them again at 150k later.

But its good tho, ive been put 100 miles so far and runs like new truck!

My first toy car was a '63 Willys Overland do Brasil. Not 3 weeks later, I learned we had twins coming. The wires on the Willys were original and all dried out. I bought a bunch of boot grease and massaged it into the wires. It cured damp start troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back