Dealer want $276 for trans flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Subaru Forester. This is the vehicle where they extended warranty on CVT to 100k miles.

The price sounds high but if they push 14 QTs through of Subaru CVT at $19 QT that's almost the full flush cost.

Obviously there is a known issue with the CVT or they would not have pushed it to 100k warranty. So it's best to use Subaru CVT fluid until at least 100k.

Even on EBAY the Subary CVT fluid is very expensive.

Is Subaru CVT fluid synthetic?

May be OK price. In Feb 2017, paid $32 per qt for a drain/fill at the Subaru dealer in Wichita Labor ran about $70. I chose to have it done at the dealer precisely to make sure the correct fluids and no "good enough" substitutes were used. We have 130K on the Subaru with no complaints on the CVT.

Last edited:
The Stealer! Are you certain they use actual Subaru oil or spec equivalent? A few years back, I called the local Mitsu Stealer. They didn't have a flush machine and didn't believe they were necessary. This may have changed, but I didn't agree. Every application is different and unique et. al.

Have you considered Valvoline? Just a thought!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

14 quarts at half the price of $19 you gave would be more accurate so $133 in fluid and $140 for "labor". Sounds more reasonable for them....

They may also be doing a "drain-and-fill", not a full flush using 14 quarts, so they're only going to use 3-4 quarts. Great money maker for them !

If you don't mind whats the name of the dealer or the location? And how many miles do you have on it?

I went to Westchester Subaru to get oil filter and coolant a couple of months back and I asked them about this. I have only 24000 miles on 2015 Forester. They do not flush, its just drain and refill. I was quoted 'around' $320.

Originally Posted By: Fitter30
Don't know if it's compatable but advance auto parts has castrol transmax cvt fluid on sale $5 a quart stated for most Japanese cars

01.gif

Yes, it is compatible. Castrol makes great stuff, and their CVT fluid will give you no problems. And since it's on sale for only $5/qt, it is the best value by far. Plus, the Castrol CVT is fully synthetic
smile.gif

They have made it such a pain in the place you sit the Stealership's think they have you by the short hair. The government needs to tell them to make it easier or their gong to do it for free.

This is Haddad in Pittsfield MA. I am in NY but on border. They said a flush for $276. A flush to me is total fluid exchange which is 13 QTs plus 1. I assume they will use Subaru CVT. I will check if I go for it.

I have 65k.

An alternative is to wait until 100k (out of warranty) and then use Valvoline or Amsoil.

But given that there are possible issues with this year transmission, I prefer to use Subaru CVT fluid while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They have made it such a pain in the place you sit the Stealership's think they have you by the short hair. The government needs to tell them to make it easier or their gong to do it for free.

Lol really? No one forces you to drive a vehicle. You could quit driving, you can do the service yourself, take it to an independent or pay the price. Look at all those options!

No reason to tell thousands they need to work for free just to satisfy your pocket book.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
The snacks in the waiting room arent free!

Neither is the coffee!
coffee2.gif

My local Nissan dealer gets 300 for fluid change. Not a flush. Based 0on my own experience, the Nissan fluid needs changing at 30k. At least in both of mine... A squeal starts around 30k that is silenced by fresh fluid.

For starters I'd verify it's a flush and not a drain and fill. If you got that from the service writer they may have no clue what they're talking about.

I am also not sure how you'd verify a flush was actually done versus a drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Lol really? No one forces you to drive a vehicle. You could quit driving, you can do the service yourself, take it to an independent or pay the price. Look at all those options!

No reason to tell thousands they need to work for free just to satisfy your pocket book.

LOL really you think they'll let you take a horse on the Freeway!

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
For starters I'd verify it's a flush and not a drain and fill. If you got that from the service writer they may have no clue what they're talking about.

I am also not sure how you'd verify a flush was actually done versus a drain and fill.

Yes! On my Nissan one dealer quoted 179 and another was 400....one was for a drain and fill and other was a flush....but I asked for price for a flush.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

Easy. Dye the existing fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back