2006 Monte Carlo? (Might be an SS?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: irv
Scratch the above!
blush.gif

The car is a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with 187,000 kms on the 3.8 engine. I do not believe it is supercharged?

I just finished looking at it and it isn't in as good as shape as I thought.

Car has a few areas where there are scratches, etc, plus the front end has been painted so the new paint doesn't quite match the old.
The owner had trouble with the ignition key getting it to turn/start plus there is a "Service Engine" light that comes on that he said is intermittent. It recently passed E-Testing however when the light was out.
The rims are a bit rough/pitted in places as well. Said he has taken them in to get serviced as they leak air occasionally.

I just did another search under 2004 Monte Carlo SS's and I am surprised some of the prices asked. Maybe $3,000 for this car is still fair/decent despite it's condition?

Any thoughts on the 2004's? Any known issues like the transmission previously mentioned in this thread?

Don't know what to do now? Seeing it in the daylight up close was disappointing.

$500 car

Then your Jetta must be worth $5.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Chevys that age are not worth 3000.

If the car is mechanically sound and not rusted-out, I disagree.
If it is actually an SS it will have a 5.3L LS4 V/8 engine and is worth a whole lot more than $3k.
Lower end models got a 3.5L V/6 or 3.9L V/6.

You are right the 3.8 went away in 05. With a 5.3 its worth a lot more than 3K, 5K minimum if its sound with that engine in a W body.
Its a GM so what do you expect for comments from the lets get blinded by Japanese cars crowd.

There isn't anything wrong with a 2006 Monte Carlo that isn't rusty for $3k, if they will sell it to him. This is a good fairly heavy and safe front wheel drive sporty 2dr car for a teen boy and I endorse it. Also, it will be easy to get reasonably priced parts and service for it down the road and will last a long time if properly maintained and not abused. This is the size and type of car that the American manufacturers have built the best and have the best long-term track record with. I would stay FAR away from a European car (like VW) in that price range. I am a long-time Toyota/Honda guy but in this price range I would go with a mid/full size American car myself, one will not get much of a Japanese brand car for $3k money.

You can get a Japanese car for 3k what are you talking about. Americans were horrible at making front drive sedans in 2006, that's what bankrupted them. It's not a sporty car, it's a mid 2000s American car from when they were at their nadir. It's a $1500 retail car, why do you think it was not traded in? Because the dealer probably offered them $500 for it.

You need to do a search either in Kijiji or Autotrader.ca or whatever else to see the prices being asked for these cars. Many are well over the $3,000 dollar mark.
The car wasn't taken to a dealer. Like I mentioned, the owner found a truck from a person he knows so he purchased it. The car then came up for sale like we found out last night.

With the purchase of our 2017 Impala last November, I couldn't give away our Olds Intrigue, but that's what those were going for at that time.
These Monte's are worth significantly more for some reason, especially the SS's.

It still isn't a no go for me/us yet, but now I am doing a little more research/educating first.

There are plenty of ads posted on kijiji that are completely overpriced, because it is free to post there. I've seen things sit on kijiji for over a year when they are overpriced but there is no pressure to sell the item. Also, it is sort of a rare car now a days, rare does not equal valuable.

Ebay has sold filters, so you can see what the actual prices are. Who would spend $3k on that who is under 50 years old when you can get an equivalent imported car that will be better in every way for the same price? The first one is close in mileage but in much better condition and is an American car being sold in America on ebay but still can't get over $2000 CAD:

$1600 US
$520 US
$735 US

I used to browse kijiji religiously for tools, I know how to determine the value of items on the used market. You only see the unrealistically high prices because the cheap ones sell quickly. You have to be fast to find deals on kijiji in a large city like the GTA.

There isn't anything wrong with a 2006 Monte Carlo that isn't rusty for $3k, if they will sell it to him. This is a good fairly heavy and safe front wheel drive sporty 2dr car for a teen boy and I endorse it. Also, it will be easy to get reasonably priced parts and service for it down the road and will last a long time if properly maintained and not abused. This is the size and type of car that the American manufacturers have built the best and have the best long-term track record with. I would stay FAR away from a European car (like VW) in that price range. I am a long-time Toyota/Honda guy but in this price range I would go with a mid/full size American car myself, one will not get much of a Japanese brand car for $3k money.

You can get a Japanese car for 3k what are you talking about. Americans were horrible at making front drive sedans in 2006, that's what bankrupted them. It's not a sporty car, it's a mid 2000s American car from when they were at their nadir. It's a $1500 retail car, why do you think it was not traded in? Because the dealer probably offered them $500 for it.

You need to do a search either in Kijiji or Autotrader.ca or whatever else to see the prices being asked for these cars. Many are well over the $3,000 dollar mark.
The car wasn't taken to a dealer. Like I mentioned, the owner found a truck from a person he knows so he purchased it. The car then came up for sale like we found out last night.

With the purchase of our 2017 Impala last November, I couldn't give away our Olds Intrigue, but that's what those were going for at that time.
These Monte's are worth significantly more for some reason, especially the SS's.

It still isn't a no go for me/us yet, but now I am doing a little more research/educating first.

There are plenty of ads posted on kijiji that are completely overpriced, because it is free to post there. I've seen things sit on kijiji for over a year when they are overpriced but there is no pressure to sell the item. Also, it is sort of a rare car now a days, rare does not equal valuable.

Ebay has sold filters, so you can see what the actual prices are. Who would spend $3k on that who is under 50 years old when you can get an equivalent imported car that will be better in every way for the same price? The first one is close in mileage but in much better condition and is an American car being sold in America on ebay but still can't get over $2000 CAD:

$1600 US
$520 US
$735 US

I used to browse kijiji religiously for tools, I know how to determine the value of items on the used market. You only see the unrealistically high prices because the cheap ones sell quickly. You have to be fast to find deals on kijiji in a large city like the GTA.

You're kidding me, right?
21.gif

Those are all American vehicles in U.S. funds, and did you even bother reading about the shape/condition their in?

Quit wasting my time dude, you are not comparing apples to apples and I think you've been hit on the head by a few hard unripe ones!

You're kidding me, right?
21.gif

Those are all American vehicles in U.S. funds, and did you even bother reading about the shape/condition their in?

I'm the one who did not read?

I think you've been hit on the head by a few hard unripe ones!

I think you're an old man who is set in his ways, and already made the decision to buy this car without doing his research. You posted it here so you get some confirmation and praise, but it is an overpriced heap with leaky wheels that sure seems like it is going to have problems with it's next e test. Faced with me finding a better condition comparable at a much lower price and the slowly dawning realization that you may have been a little hasty, you resorted to personal attacks and trying to discredit me.

The car is a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with 187,000 kms on the 3.8 engine. I do not believe it is supercharged?

I just finished looking at it and it isn't in as good as shape as I thought.

Car has a few areas where there are scratches, etc, plus the front end has been painted so the new paint doesn't quite match the old.
The owner had trouble with the ignition key getting it to turn/start plus there is a "Service Engine" light that comes on that he said is intermittent. It recently passed E-Testing however when the light was out.
The rims are a bit rough/pitted in places as well. Said he has taken them in to get serviced as they leak air occasionally.

I just did another search under 2004 Monte Carlo SS's and I am surprised some of the prices asked. Maybe $3,000 for this car is still fair/decent despite it's condition?

Any thoughts on the 2004's? Any known issues like the transmission previously mentioned in this thread?

Don't know what to do now? Seeing it in the daylight up close was disappointing.

You can get another set of rims. All the issues you mentioned are easier to deal with than rust. $3000 Canadian is about $2000 US. Obviously keep shopping, but a rust-free car with a good inspection sticker is worth about that
smile.gif

That car looks really good in the pics for having spent over a decade in our salt infested ontario roads.

As for being worth $500 dollars !! Bull turds. I could take that car to the local u-pull it yard and get more than that.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
That car looks really good in the pics for having spent over a decade in our salt infested ontario roads.

As for being worth $500 dollars !! Bull turds. I could take that car to the local u-pull it yard and get more than that.

Yeah, I'm not sure how many cars Max Headroom has imported from the U.S. into Canada before but if I had to guess, it would be zero.

Should you import a car from the U.S.? Financially, the answer is very often – no. The expense and work required to import a vehicle is substantial.
https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-ins...m-us-to-canada/

I agree with your comment, that it is in good shape considering it has been winter driven before. Rust proofing definitely helps and this car is proof of that.
I just finished searching for many cars in the $0 to $5000 dollar mark and the more I see the more I think this Monte for $3000 isn't all that bad of a deal?
It needs a bit of TLC here and there but overall I now think its a fair/decent deal.

I just texted the owner asking for a test drive so hopefully he responds soon.
I may, when I am done driving it, give it a quick wash to have a better look at things externally. There are no dents anywhere, just scratches but having a clean car to look at will tell me more.

Should you import a car from the U.S.? Financially, the answer is very often – no. The expense and work required to import a vehicle is substantial.

I agree, with the current value of our dollar it doesn't make sense to bring them up from the US unless they simply can't find the car they are looking for up here. When the CDN dollar was close to par a few years ago though, a few of my Corvette friends bought their cars down there, and saved a good chunk of cash.

Yeah, I'm not sure how many cars Max Headroom has imported from the U.S. into Canada before but if I had to guess, it would be zero.

I agree with your comment, that it is in good shape considering it has been winter driven before. Rust proofing definitely helps and this car is proof of that.
I just finished searching for many cars in the $0 to $5000 dollar mark and the more I see the more I think this Monte for $3000 isn't all that bad of a deal?
It needs a bit of TLC here and there but overall I now think its a fair/decent deal.

I may, when I am done driving it, give it a quick wash to have a better look at things externally. There are no dents anywhere, just scratches but having a clean car to look at will tell me more.

I would find out what code the CEL is throwing before buying.

That was purely market research to show what they actually sold for, I never implied you should import one. You seen to have difficulty reading my posts because this is the second time I have had to correct your account of my arguments.

Have fun with that P0420, bud.

I would agree with you that under the circumstances the car isn't a good deal, just a fair/decent deal. I still think that it would make a good car for your son.

$500 car

And... you recommended he buy a VW for $3k? What are you smoking dude? Pot isn't legal there for another 2 months
smile.gif

Assuming it needs nothing (get a pre-purchase inspection by a reputable shop/dealership), that car is worth 3k CAD all day long. The 3800 is a great engine, too.

That was purely market research to show what they actually sold for, I never implied you should import one. You seen to have difficulty reading my posts because this is the second time I have had to correct your account of my arguments.

Have fun with that P0420, bud.

You should just leave this thread and forget about it, Max.
coffee2.gif

I would agree with you that under the circumstances the car isn't a good deal, just a fair/decent deal. I still think that it would make a good car for your son.

I am leaning/thinking the same. I like the fact it's a full size car, and its sporty enough for him as well, imo.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Assuming it needs nothing (get a pre-purchase inspection by a reputable shop/dealership), that car is worth 3k CAD all day long. The 3800 is a great engine, too.

I agree.

I just got back from taking it for a test drive. It rides nice, handles nice and the engine seems to run really smooth.
It does need a drivers door pin as it is sagging slightly.

Other than that, with recent tires and brakes, I don't think it will take much, if anything to safety it.

The paint seems to not do well on them. My niece has the red faded version her dad picked up from relative for $1100. It has been quite reliable.

It a has massive appetite for fuel. She finds it quite embarassing but it was hard to argue free.

$2000 USD is a ton of money but if the kid actually like it.....

The car seems to be of typical shape given the age and location. $500 is very low.

Her brother sold his Pontiac Grand Am with 180k on the OD for $3k ish and that was after it sat for about 3 years. It had newer tires, but I am not sure about the intake gaskets/ head gaskets.. whatever it is that goes out on these. It originally had a coolant leak, but apparently some metal coolant elbows fixed that? Aside from that, it was meticulously maintained. Coolant flushes with Dexcool, ATF drain/ fills.

Well, after finally being able to talk to my son about cars, we have somewhat decided to put the Yellow Monte on hold for a bit.
My concerns are the "Service Engine" light being on, the door pins needing replacement, the various scratches, and I also noticed the car sits low(er) on the front passenger side for some reason? Tire pressures are fine, I checked but when the car is sitting on a level drive/road, the slight drop on the passenger side is noticeable. Strut/strut tower?

Anyways, talking about it and other Monte's with my son today, to my surprise, he also mentioned Impalas in and around the same yrs (04 to 08)
Surprised, but happy, (the full size car thing), we quickly started looking at some of those and noticed a few that we might be interested in.

With that being said, and for those that don't mind, again, I'd appreciate any info with regards to those, namely the 3.5 and 3.9 engines and any known transmission problems?
I/we are looking to spend around $3000 to $5000 thousand as I want a decent one for him that is going to be as trouble free as possible.
This one is way too far away for me but this is basically what we are now looking for.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/otta...gationFlag=true

Thanks.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back