Smart Phone - Car Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Smartphone Car Charger just recently broke and I'm looking for a new one. I see one made by Rock that has a battery readout I'd like to get. Is the Rock brand any good? If not what brand is good?

Looks Like This >>>>>

I prefer wireless car chargers

Same for the house. No stress on the charge port of your phone.

Just grab and go.

It really depends on your and the charging system it uses and whether it supports QC.

I have had very good luck with Spigen for QC.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
My ciggarate port got damaged, how do i fix it? anybody knows?
Any auto parts store will have a universal replacement. I bought one with a bracket so we can have 2 or more things charging at the same time

I have seen those before and they look intriguing, but i prefer to have legitimate qualcom quick charge devices since my phone supports them. The Anker stuff is good, but i have an Aukey unit from amazon and it's been good.

Dual QC 3.0 39W unit - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B2BMIMS

Dual port 31.5W unit if you only need 1 quick charge port you can save a few bucks. - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019OSX8UC/

The Rock unit says its 2.4A, which isn't a slow charge, but a real Quick Charge unit will be better if your phone supports it.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
My ciggarate port got damaged, how do i fix it? anybody knows?

You replace it. Given you asked and no offense, you likely have to pay someone to do this.

Dollar store sells decent ones by me, 2.4 amp dual ports. No readout, but for a buck, and a iphone cord the same price, I can deal with no battery readout.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Anker brand has never let me down in this kind of stuff.

No idea about ROCK never seen it before.

+1 for Anker

What to look for is how much current one can put out. Some will barely cover the drain if the screen is on full time when using as GPS.

Originally Posted By: knerml
It really depends on your and the charging system it uses and whether it supports QC.

I have had very good luck with Spigen for QC.

Having a "Quick Charge" isn't important to me since slow charging is better for battery life.

I was looking earlier this summer for a high amp output one. When driving around with Torque open on the phone, screen on all the time, it drains the battery faster than the cheapo charger I had. This one will actually charge when using Torque.

s-l1600.jpg

Got it off ebay and they make them for many phones.

But it would work itself out of my lighter socket. Seems the spring pressure for the center electrode was too stiff. So I opened it up, soldered some wire to the pos and neg leads and put it in a cubby hole under the radio with my radar detector remote display. It's wired to come on when the car is in run or accessory. Does a great job like this.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Having a "Quick Charge" isn't important to me since slow charging is better for battery life.
Using an app like Waze or even Google Maps while driving will drain your battery fast. Sometimes a slow charger won't even keep up with that demand and you'll see your battery level dropping, even though it's connected to a charger.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Using an app like Waze or even Google Maps while driving will drain your battery fast. Sometimes a slow charger won't even keep up with that demand and you'll see your battery level dropping, even though it's connected to a charger.

Yep, that's why I got a few Aukey Quick Charge 2.0 chargers. It's now up to Quick Charge 3.0, but the list of phones that support 3.0 isn't that great and my Samsung S8 is still only quick charge 2.0.

Do these require a special kind of cable?
The usually come with one.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

This is less about the app and more about the screen being on that's sucking the power.

You can get by with slow (2.1a 5v port) charging with the app being on, esp. if you turn the screen off when you dont need directions or more info.

I will still agree you can get the quick charger and adjust your phone setting not to use fast charging if you don't want to use that. Then you still have the option in the future if you like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back