2006 Monte Carlo? (Might be an SS?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Do you want grandchildren? Those were old man cars even when they were new, hard to believe they killed the Camaro and kept that in production.
$3000 can go a lot further than that, especially at the Oshawa co part. I would be watching it like a hawk if I lived there!

I am not picking up what you are saying there, Max? We know the car was well looked after mechanically/mtce wise so, imo, that fact is worth $$$ right there in my opinion. Much better than purchasing something from a lot of from some other person who we have no idea how the car was maintained or driven?

Originally Posted By: Trav
If it is an SS it probably has the Gen III 3.8 supercharged in it. Good engine, transmission reliability had greatly improved by this year, solid bodies and lots of parts for this car. It is very easy to repair.
If it has been halfway decently maintained its worth the asking price all day long with 112K miles on it. This is a W body, a GTP with a Chevy twist.

I was hoping you'd chime in, Trav.
11.gif

Reading and further looking at other posts, I am now doubting this car is an SS despite the ground effects pkg it has.
The owner told me last night it was a 3.8 but now I am thinking it might be the 3.9? (I need to look today)

As far as the other stuff goes, insurance, etc, none of that has been looked into yet. We visited some friends last night and that is when we found out it might be available to us if we want it?

I texted my 17 yr old son, who has been driving my wife's 2017 3.6 Impala and my 2013 Ram 5.7 Hemi if he was interested in it? From what I gathered, he is, but I need to talk to him personally today. The Yellow color is something I am not sure he will like?

My thoughts are, it's a full size car compared to Honda's and Toyota's and most other popular small type popular teenage/young male cars.
Insurance should be much cheaper than those type of cars? We know the car, know it hasn't been abused and has been well maintained.

Having trouble multi quoting here or quoting pg 2 replies but thanks for all the replies/info so far everyone.
I appreciate that.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
That pic doesn't look like an 06, but does look like an SS.

The 2006+ SS had the V8
The 2005 SS had the supercharged 3800
The 2004 SS could be either NA or supercharged 3800
The 00-03 SS had the regular 3800

Also, the car got a refresh in 2006. It would look more like this:
54405795.jpg

Originally Posted By: wag123
If the seller provided the picture that the OP used, and the seller claims that the car is a 2006 and has a 3.8L V/6, IMO the whole thing smells.

The pic I provided last night was from the Internet. I typed in 2006 and that is what popped up so I posted it thinking that was the identical car, plus it was the only Yellow copy I could find.

Slacktide, I believe your pic is exactly what it looks like, only in yellow, of course.
https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2006-Chevrolet-Monte+Carlo/

My guess now is, this car has the 3.9 Ltr engine in and is not an SS.

The Pontiac 123Saab posted is in "Ticonderoga Yellow"; a factory color designed to mimic the yellow of Dixon-Ticonderoga pencils.

Back then Christopher Chevrolet/Pontiac/GMC in Ticonderoga, NY had one of these specimens on their earth-mound display.

A stunning beauty in paint, steel and plastic.

Originally Posted By: irv
This is the only one I could find using Autotrader.ca

This car sounds very similar,,,,sunroof, etc, only it has 40,000 more kms and they want another $1000 price wise.
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/chevrolet/mo...2&sprx=1000

$3k would be a good buy if the car is mechanically sound and isn't rusted-out.

My thoughts exactly, and I know it has been rust proofed annually as well. Supposedly the underside is mint and I've never noticed any type of rust/bubbles on the outside of it either.
This is a second owner vehicle. The owner, who I am hoping to purchase it from, bought it off an older man about 8-10 yrs ago and his wife drove up until a couple yrs ago when she started letting her son drive it.
It became his main car after the wife purchased an Equinox. The boy, who we also know very well, just purchased a truck the other day and that is why the Monte is now for sale.

Last night, with alcohol involved, they mentioned they had already asked the wife's sister about purchasing it. I told them well, she gets first crack at it then but I think, to avoid family disputes/issues, they'd rather sell it to me?

We'll see how it plays out but getting this car for my son isn't 100% guaranteed at this point.

Seems like a good deal for a solid car. If I were to have a 18 year old kid right now and had to help them find a first car I'd go with a decent looking Crown Vic and tell them to be careful, it's not that slow, and if you wreck it or hurt it I'm not replacing it, and all repairs are on you, though I'll help where I can. But if you take care of this car will last you 10+ years. I don't know if something that is practically a 2-door Impala is going to be as reliable, but it's better on gas and if your son likes how it looks, great! But I'm no parent...

We purchased a 2006 Buick Lacrosse in June 2017 , with the 3.8l . The Buick seem to be pretty good cars . If this is the same body , then they should be good cars also .

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Would be interesting to hear what a 16-20 year old thinks about it's "Styling".

Wouldn't matter to me, it's yellow!

Yellow!

I'd drive just about anything if you paint it yellow.

2001-Pontiac-Aztek-front-three-quarter.jpg

I'd drive it now - imagine seeing a mint, all stock Aztec in the wild.

In high school? I would have loved one! So much room for "activities!"

I texted my 17 yr old son, who has been driving my wife's 2017 3.6 Impala and my 2013 Ram 5.7 Hemi if he was interested in it? From what I gathered, he is, but I need to talk to him personally today. The Yellow color is something I am not sure he will like?

Some kids won't care - a (nice) car is a car. It's a nice condition car. I think yellow would definitely be considered more of a girl's car color though....

My thoughts are, it's a full size car compared to Honda's and Toyota's and most other popular small type popular teenage/young male cars.
Insurance should be much cheaper than those type of cars? We know the car, know it hasn't been abused and has been well maintained.

If you mean Accords or Camrys, those are generally considered "full size" nowadays, at least newer models (with Accords, 2003+, not sure about Camrys). We have a previous generation (1999) and I'd think it falls under "mid-size". If you're taking about Civics and the Toyota equivalent, yeah, those would be "small" cars.

I am not picking up what you are saying there, Max? We know the car was well looked after mechanically/mtce wise so, imo, that fact is worth $$$ right there in my opinion. Much better than purchasing something from a lot of from some other person who we have no idea how the car was maintained or driven?

I was actually mistaken, there is no co part in Oshawa, only Toronto and London.

I never said buy from a lot. I would pick a few cars I like, set up kijiji filters and research prices while I waited for a nice one to come up. $3000 can get you an awesome used car, everyone wants trucks or SUVs especially outside of Toronto. No urgent need to take the first one that comes along.

Get something cool with a manual transmission, even a slow car is cool if it has a manual. Homer suggestion VW Golf/Jetta! 2.0L has like 120hp.

Last edited:
There isn't anything wrong with a 2006 Monte Carlo that isn't rusty for $3k, if they will sell it to him. This is a good fairly heavy and safe front wheel drive sporty 2dr car for a teen boy and I endorse it. Also, it will be easy to get reasonably priced parts and service for it down the road and will last a long time if properly maintained and not abused. This is the size and type of car that the American manufacturers have built the best and have the best long-term track record with. I would stay FAR away from a European car (like VW) in that price range. I am a long-time Toyota/Honda guy but in this price range I would go with a mid/full size American car myself, one will not get much of a Japanese brand car for $3k money.

Last edited:
Friends of ours are selling their 2006 Monte Carlo, which I am thinking might be a good 1st car for our son?

I know very little about them but our friends have taken good care of theirs and that is why I am interested.

Car has around 180,000 kms on it and supposedly has a 3.8 ltr engine (could only find 3.5's, 3.9's and 5.3's searching?)
Interior looks good, A/C works, has newer tires, etc. ( but I need a better look tomorrow in the daylight)

They are wanting $3000 firm (CDN) which I think, based on a quick search, is a pretty decent/fair price.(pic of exact model below)

Any info good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks.
11.gif

Edit: Based on the pic provided, the car may be an SS?

Scratch the above!
blush.gif

The car is a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with 187,000 kms on the 3.8 engine. I do not believe it is supercharged?

I just finished looking at it and it isn't in as good as shape as I thought.

Car has a few areas where there are scratches, etc, plus the front end has been painted so the new paint doesn't quite match the old.
The owner had trouble with the ignition key getting it to turn/start plus there is a "Service Engine" light that comes on that he said is intermittent. It recently passed E-Testing however when the light was out.
The rims are a bit rough/pitted in places as well. Said he has taken them in to get serviced as they leak air occasionally.

I just did another search under 2004 Monte Carlo SS's and I am surprised some of the prices asked. Maybe $3,000 for this car is still fair/decent despite it's condition?

Any thoughts on the 2004's? Any known issues like the transmission previously mentioned in this thread?

Don't know what to do now? Seeing it in the daylight up close was disappointing.

Last edited:
There isn't anything wrong with a 2006 Monte Carlo that isn't rusty for $3k, if they will sell it to him. This is a good fairly heavy and safe front wheel drive sporty 2dr car for a teen boy and I endorse it. Also, it will be easy to get reasonably priced parts and service for it down the road and will last a long time if properly maintained and not abused. This is the size and type of car that the American manufacturers have built the best and have the best long-term track record with. I would stay FAR away from a European car (like VW) in that price range. I am a long-time Toyota/Honda guy but in this price range I would go with a mid/full size American car myself, one will not get much of a Japanese brand car for $3k money.

You can get a Japanese car for 3k what are you talking about. Americans were horrible at making front drive sedans in 2006, that's what bankrupted them. It's not a sporty car, it's a mid 2000s American car from when they were at their nadir. It's a $1500 retail car, why do you think it was not traded in? Because the dealer probably offered them $500 for it.

You can get a Japanese car for 3k what are you talking about. Americans were horrible at making front drive sedans in 2006, that's what bankrupted them. It's not a sporty car, it's a mid 2000s American car from when they were at their nadir. It's a $1500 retail car, why do you think it was not traded in? Because the dealer probably offered them $500 for it.

You need to do a search either in Kijiji or Autotrader.ca or whatever else to see the prices being asked for these cars. Many are well over the $3,000 dollar mark.
The car wasn't taken to a dealer. Like I mentioned, the owner found a truck from a person he knows so he purchased it. The car then came up for sale like we found out last night.

With the purchase of our 2017 Impala last November, I couldn't give away our Olds Intrigue, but that's what those were going for at that time.
These Monte's are worth significantly more for some reason, especially the SS's.

It still isn't a no go for me/us yet, but now I am doing a little more research/educating first.

Scratch the above!
blush.gif

The car is a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with 187,000 kms on the 3.8 engine. I do not believe it is supercharged?

Car has a few areas where there are scratches, etc, plus the front end has been painted so the new paint doesn't quite match the old.
The owner had trouble with the ignition key getting it to turn/start plus there is a "Service Engine" light that comes on that he said is intermittent. It recently passed E-Testing however when the light was out.
The rims are a bit rough/pitted in places as well. Said he has taken them in to get serviced as they leak air occasionally.

I just did another search under 2004 Monte Carlo SS's and I am surprised some of the prices asked. Maybe $3,000 for this car is still fair/decent despite it's condition?

Any thoughts on the 2004's? Any known issues like the transmission previously mentioned in this thread?

Don't know what to do now? Seeing it in the daylight up close was disappointing.

$500 car

Scratch the above!
blush.gif

$500 car

crackmeup2.gif

Find me one for that.
12.gif

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/oakville-halton-region/2004-monte-carlo/1367105037
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city...ndit/1303600605

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back