2012 Audi TTRS 72,300 miles - Castrol Edge 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my daily driver, road trip, track car. 75% of my driving is city with a short daily commute. I average 6 track days a year all during the summer months. I typically change the oil at 5k miles or after two track days. In the first 50k miles the engine would get either the dealer Castrol 5w-40 or Castrol Euro 0w-40 when I changed it myself, so I have a long history of UOAs with Castrol 0w-40.

I've started seeing something new in the last two changes where the viscosity is lower than usual, even compared with previous UOAs after track miles. Fuel dilution has not increased and is in line with what I normally see after track time. Has the formula changed this year or is this an expected effect of having more miles on the engine?

Otherwise really happy with the performance of the oil. I may install an external cooler this year to help with the heat on the track. It's never gone about 270^F and recovers pretty quickly but would like to get it down to more like 240-250 peak during a session.

Thanks!

Iml2O1W.jpg

Originally Posted By: dogememe
They mention in the report you have a low oil pressure warning?

ahh yes... Had a bit of a scare on track which is why I had sent the sample in early. Just going into a braking zone and looked down to see a low oil pressure warning on the cluster. Got back into the pits and hooked up the computer and had a fault for a oil pressure sensor malfunction, not the first time I've had one of these sensors [censored] out. I was fairly confident this was just a sensor issue but wanted to make sure I didn't have a bunch of bearing material floating around in there too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Makes one wonder if there were additional changes beyond location of production with the move from Germany to Belgium. Like a cheaper base oil. Sure hope not.

I hope not either. Been my go to VW oil for years, I'd rather not have to find something else. Think I need to do a UOA next change...

Makes one wonder if there were additional changes beyond location of production with the move from Germany to Belgium. Like a cheaper base oil. Sure hope not.

Huh, I will have to check and see where the new bottles I just bought are made. I thought it was all made in Germany.

I would not trust anything Blackstone says in regards to fuel dilution. They have repeatedly shown to be inaccurate in this regard, mostly due to their determination method (flash point).

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I would not trust anything Blackstone says in regards to fuel dilution. They have repeatedly shown to be inaccurate in this regard, mostly due to their determination method (flash point).

Interesting, so it's possible that there's more fuel dilution than reported and that could be affecting the viscosity reading?

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
It's barely driven. do you even need to own a car?

You're kidding right? It's a 2012 with 72k on it, that's hardly a garage queen by any standard.

Is it possible the enigne was starved of oil under heavy braking? Oil was probably all in the front of the pan, and maybe was not near the pickup?

Possible brief starvation on the track. I don't think it's dry-sumped.

The viscosity loss could be due to fuel dilution under hard driving, but it is indeed possible that the oil formulation changed. I would maybe try a different oil and see if it can withstand the rigors of track driving better. The wear metals don't seem to be out of whack so I don't think the viscosity loss is making a huge impact, however.

Plenty of stout 5w40s/0w40s to choose from, such as Red Line, Renewable Lube, Motul 300V, etc.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Is it possible the enigne was starved of oil under heavy braking? Oil was probably all in the front of the pan, and maybe was not near the pickup?

That's a good point and worth considering. I don't think I was going into the corner any faster or braking any harder than usual (my local track so plenty of reference laps). If the pump is starting to fail, or could the actual lower viscosity thin the oil sufficiently that it's a perceived low pressure situation?

The logged fault was pretty specific that this was a sensor issue which is why I didn't pack up and call it a day but it was nagging me enough that I extracted a pint of oil to send in
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: johnLZ7W
Originally Posted By: Audios

That's a good point and worth considering. I don't think I was going into the corner any faster or braking any harder than usual (my local track so plenty of reference laps). If the pump is starting to fail, or could the actual lower viscosity thin the oil sufficiently that it's a perceived low pressure situation?

The logged fault was pretty specific that this was a sensor issue which is why I didn't pack up and call it a day but it was nagging me enough that I extracted a pint of oil to send in
smile.gif

The viscosity would have to be way out of spec for it to think the pressure is low, if at all.

What kind of corner did you see the warning light on?

Originally Posted By: dparm

The viscosity would have to be way out of spec for it to think the pressure is low, if at all.

It was at the end of a short straight (between turn 3 and 4 at Portland International Raceway) before starting to turn in. At that part of the track I'm running right at redline in 3rd gear for a moment before braking from ~90mph down to ~60mph so not a massive braking event. I noted the warning just before I turned in so after I had slowed. It's possible the warning had displayed earlier on that straight and I didn't see it.

And as mentioned above, it isn't dry sumped but is a baffled pan but in this case I really don't think there was an actual low-pressure condition, just a faulty sensor.
Edit to add: I've probably got over 1000 laps on this track with this car and have never had an oil or fuel starvation issue at any time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm

It was at the end of a short straight (between turn 3 and 4 at Portland International Raceway) before starting to turn in. At that part of the track I'm running right at redline in 3rd gear for a moment before braking from ~90mph down to ~60mph so not a massive braking event. I noted the warning just before I turned in so after I had slowed. It's possible the warning had displayed earlier on that straight and I didn't see it.

And as mentioned above, it isn't dry sumped but is a baffled pan but in this case I really don't think there was an actual low-pressure condition, just a faulty sensor.
Edit to add: I've probably got over 1000 laps on this track with this car and have never had an oil or fuel starvation issue at any time.

It could've also been something stupid like you were a half-quart low. GM, for example, recommends running the oil level slightly above the "MAX" line on the dipstick for track usage.

At M car training they said running 1/2 qt or so above full is acceptable for high rpm situations, may help that issue. Their pans were all baffled, maybe drop yours and take a look around inside to see how its situated with the pickup.

They are cheaper if you compere it with new vs old msds

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Interesting, so it's possible that there's more fuel dilution than reported and that could be affecting the viscosity reading?

Yes, definitely. There have been more than one analysis posted here where Blackstone gave a small or negligible reading whereas one analyzed by gas chromatography gave a much higher number.

I have noticed the inaccuracy from Blackstone Lab. I don't know why people would waste money on something as critical as fuel dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back