Valvoline "Modern Engine Synthetic"

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
It’s a rebranding but also the new add pack.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the d1G2 changes here, but there were jugs of d1G2 Synpower out before the name change to AFS.

Yes. Valvoline didn’t make the transition cleanly so their were old and new bottles with the new formula. I imagine it will take a while for all the stock to get normalized.

The REALLY confusing thing was that Valvoline told a BITOG poster that Synpower would NOT be a d1G2 line via email, then I think it was the first oil I saw with that license at WM. I didn't hold it against them as I obviously bought some of the d1G2 5W30 AFS... ;^)

OK, since VAS is also dexos1 Gen 2, then this is probably Valvoline's answer to M1 AP and PUPPP, which are oils with a slightly better base oil than their vanilla versions.

It will be interesting to see in the UOAs if the add pack of VMES is any different that of VAS.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
The voa’s of each were vastly different.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...0_V#Post4705190

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...os1#Post4682481

Thanks!

They have reduced the ash in VMES quit a bit in comparison to VAS.

From the datasheets they are also implying that the VMES has a better base oil than VAS (exceptional vs. enhanced protection against oil oxidation and viscosity breakdown).

A point I made briefly when I changed my oil; I found out that 5 qts of VAS was not enough to get the level up to full on my dipstick so I stopped by Walmart to get another quart. They were out of stock of VAS but had VME quarts so I got one. I noticed immediately that the VME was much lighter in color, a blonde color compared to the light amber honey color of VAS.

It’s totally unscientific but I could not help but wonder.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
OK, since VAS is also dexos1 Gen 2, then this is probably Valvoline's answer to M1 AP and PUPPP, which are oils with a slightly better base oil than their vanilla versions.

It will be interesting to see in the UOAs if the add pack of VMES is any different that of VAS.

Would be my initial thought, but their own reported NOACK results dont necessarily indicate that. Granted, we know what Pennzoil said about NOACK, and we know that PU was worse than PP as another example.

I think id prefer a more favorable NOACK value than absolute pour point and pump behavior.

Since VAS and VME are both SM plus and D1G2, not sure the add packs are all that substantially different in use, maybe in VOA... Guess VE has moved to organic adds vs metallic, FWIW.

I own a 2013 Accent with a 1.6L GDI and I am not sure if I would spend $40 on 5/qts of oil that's supposed to only be 25% more effective.

I noticed a valve rattle/tick under heavy acceleration after the vehicle hit around 30,000 miles and could not figure it out for the life of me. After reading and reading, I determined it was carbon build-up on the valves on the intake side of the head. One treatment of Seafoam Top Engine Cleaner and Lube followed by another treatment of CRC GDI IVD™ Intake Valve Cleaner prior to the next oil change and the noise is gone.

Messed up thing is a top end cleaner is never mentioned in the maintenance schedule.

I am just incorporating it into my maintenance every few changes. The car has 52,000 miles on it and there is no noticeable noise anymore. I'd rather spend a few bucks on a can of cleaner and keep on putting in full synthetic oil that's on sale in the vehicle.

Just my two cents...

Last edited:
Stopped by WM today and I noticed the price for VME is now $34.xx. The M1 AP was $39.xx.

Good move.

LOL VME just $12.24 away from a confirmed sale!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Stopped by WM today and I noticed the price for VME is now $34.xx. The M1 AP was $39.xx.

Good move.

LOL VME just $12.24 away from a confirmed sale!

I might get it next fall. We shall see.

The price of this oil at WM is about the same as M1 AP, which was a surprise to me. I have to wonder what exactly makes this oil so special considering both M1/Castrol have had a low SA formulation for quite some time (2012). On top of that, Mobil 1 AP is designed a tested for long drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: buster
The price of this oil at WM is about the same as M1 AP, which was a surprise to me. I have to wonder what exactly makes this oil so special considering both M1/Castrol have had a low SA formulation for quite some time (2012). On top of that, Mobil 1 AP is designed a tested for long drain intervals.

Maybe it’s got like, like, Rhodes Scholar Molecules … I cant deal with all these oil choices anymore … heading for Baskin Robbins for chocolate …

I saw a entry over on the 540Rat blog regarding this oil that I thought I would share. This if course should be served with salt but he has placed this 5w20 VME at #11 out of 200 some odd oils that he has tested so far.

I noticed that he has added another category above Incredible which he calls Fantastic. VME falls into this new category.

Below is the excerpt from his blog so you don’t have to scroll through all the self hoopla.

“11. 5W20 Valvoline Modern Engine Oil, for engines 2012 and newer, API SN, synthetic = 120,531 psi
This new line of motor oil came out at the beginning of 2018, and claims to fight carbon build-up on piston crowns, combustion chambers, valves and Turbochargers, in GDI (Gas Direct Injection) and other newer engines. This oil’s impressive wear protection psi value, certainly makes it an excellent choice, in that regard. But, in spite of their claims, do not expect it to keep those engine components any cleaner than other quality motor oils. Here’s why: Even if this oil has more or better cleaning agents as it implies, those cleaning agents cannot do any cleaning if those engine components are not exposed to the oil.

Any engine in good condition that does not blow blue smoke out the exhaust pipe, and does not consume oil between oil changes, does not have any significant amount of oil on those engine components, for any cleaning to take place. So, some might say that those claims of cleaner engine components are misleading at best, or outright false at worst, as it relates to most newer engines.

The only way this oil has any chance of providing any additional cleaning on those engine components, is if it is used in an engine that goes through enough oil to blow blue smoke out the exhaust pipe and consumes measurable amounts of oil between oil changes, which would expose those components to the oil. But, nearly all cleaning of those components in engines in good condition, normally has to come from the cleaning agents in the “fuel” being used, NOT the oil being used. But, that is a problem for Direct Injection engines, since fuel vapor does not wash over the intake valves, like it does with Port Injection engines.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Spring 2018. The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.
However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. And this oil experienced about a 12% drop in capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, it produced 105,567 psi, which put this much hotter and thinner oil in the INCREDIBLE Wear Protection Category.
I also tested this oil for the onset of thermal breakdown, which was 260*F.”

So while it may be mysterious as to the composition and debatable as to the price point, this testing as it may provides a bit more fodder to chew on.

While NOACK Volatility is just one variable that plays a part in preventing intake valve deposits, it’s still important to have relatively low NOACK oil. Oddly enough, Valvoline Modern Synthetic has a higher NOACK across the board compared to their other oils. It makes think there is something unique about the additive chemistry of this oil line that makes it good for GDI engines. Unfortunately it’s so poorly marketed and Valvoline Tech has zero information that is actually useful in understanding why it’s claimed to be good for GDI engines.

Originally Posted By: buster
While NOACK Volatility is just one variable that plays a part in preventing intake valve deposits, it’s still important to have relatively low NOACK oil. Oddly enough, Valvoline Modern Synthetic has a higher NOACK across the board compared to their other oils. It makes think there is something unique about the additive chemistry of this oil line that makes it good for GDI engines. Unfortunately it’s so poorly marketed and Valvoline Tech has zero information that is actually useful in understanding why it’s claimed to be good for GDI engines.

I understand the paradox of not disclosing trade secrets but Valvoline should do a better job of marketing this oil. Something that is clear to the consumer like extended oil change intervals as one example.

I wish we here on BITOG had access to sales numbers so we could see trends or stumbles. That might be eye opening.

Back