co-worker's dog problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
He lives out in an area of 2-5 acre properties where people have horses and raise chickens and rabbits and live off grid and like their privacy. He has solar and wind and hauls water. A close by neighbor lets her dog run loose, he's told her before the dog has come to his place and is going to have a problem, he has a pit/cattledog mix that is highly protective. He keeps his dog on a cable in a fence with another dog when he's not home. Yesterday the neighbor dog came to his property, got in the fence and got in a fight with his dog and got torn up pretty bad. Either Animal Control or a Deputy was called out and determined he was not at fault. The other owner was all up in arms demanding he pay the vet bill for her dog, he declined. He stayed home from work today because he was worried the law might show back up and or someone might try to get even or something so we don't know latest details. Under the circumstances how the other owner can possibly think he's responsible for her dog's medical bill is beyond understanding.

"Lead poisoning" for marauding dogs entering property and attacking other animals.

If a dog comes on to your property and attacks you or your animals, you shoot it. The dog's owner was negligent, as they MUST keep their dog under control and off other's property at all times. An owner is responsible for the dogs actions.

Look at nuisance laws. Up here, cant remember the name of the Act but it protects your animals from other peoples dogs. You are in your rights to cap the [censored].

Unbelievable.........

Let your dog run loose and expect money from somebody else when the dog gets in to a fight with a dog on your own property.

Next time just shoot the roaming dog.....problem solved.

When I was a kid, Dad raced greyhounds.

We had one in the back yard that roamed free all day we were home, and in a run while at work and overnight. Yard had a 5' corrugated iron fence, but a sliding corrugated iron gate, on rollers...maybe a 4-5" gap...our dog couldn't get out, so it was pretty small.

Dad heard a ruckus one morning, and went out. The dog had a silky terrier and had just started to shake it. Yelled "Sandy drop it"...which he did, then the thing ran yelping under the fence.

That night, constable with a lady in tow knocks on the door. She's been to the Police and reported a savage dog attack...they were investigating. Greyhounds must be muzzled under Oz law, and the fines/vet bills could be huge.

Asked where the attack occurred, and Dad showed him...turned to the woman and said that they'd been informed that it was in public, she protested that her and her mutt were in public when our dog attacked hers.

Police man became very apologetic, reminded her of the leash laws, the fact that her animal was out of her control, and entered someone elses property, and thus it was her issue...she started yelling, her started leading her back to the patrol car.

More recently, some "former aquaintances" who live near the outskirts of town were having their dogs come home with bloodied muzzles, and had a local landholder complain to them that they had been terrorising his sheep....they did nothing.

A week later, they got a note to say that their dogs were at the farm gate, they could pick them up anytime.

They went to the Police, the RSPCA, tried to get the guy charged with animal cruelty, discharging a firearm within x metres of the city limits...anything.

People never cease to amaze me.

My advice before the neighbors dog came over and got his butt kicked would have been excessive amounts of obnoxiously colored paint balls on his butt and side. You let your dog roam, there could very well be trouble.

He should be thankful the law sided wit him. Parent's friends were in an identical situation with a German Shepard/ Rot mix 20 some years ago. I am sure he was a great dog, but the breeds were against his odds. They were forced to take him to the vet, but a mysterious attacked happened even after their dog was gone. The deputy showed up out at the house for the dog not knowing he was already gone and he just gave him the drop off receipt. It was very odd.

Money solves this. Here animal control nails you with hefty fines.
Keep calling. Sorry I don't shoot dogs. If it got beat up by a dog on a cable,
Doesn't sound like a threat to me. It will resolve itself.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Unbelievable.........

Let your dog run loose and expect money from somebody else when the dog gets in to a fight with a dog on your own property.

Next time just shoot the roaming dog.....problem solved.

If it comes to this, (and I am not a fan of this because it's not the dog's fault in most cases) tell him to gun it down so there's no risk of a blood trail leading to his place.

To be clear, it happened while he and his wife were both at work, she got home first and I'm not clear what she found but he started to get info as he was on the way home. He was concerned that since the dog is 1/2 pit bull the situation will not be judged for what it is. I'm curious that now his dog has tasted blood and victory if it will behave differently?

If an out of control, loose dog attacks a person, the owner of that dog is held responsible. So why wouldn't the same apply if it attacked another dog? What happened to the loose dog is irrelevant, because it's owner caused it by allowing it to run loose.

With out a second thought I would dispatch a dog that threatens the livestock or person.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
If a dog comes on to your property and attacks you or your animals, you shoot it. The dog's owner was negligent, as they MUST keep their dog under control and off other's property at all times. An owner is responsible for the dogs actions.

This. 12 gauge w/ deer slugs if it's big.

Typical reaction in today's world. Nothing is my responsibility, it is all someone else's fault. When I had my farm, if another animal came onto your property, you were well within your rights to shoot it.

Someone on a nearby street has a dog that likes to get out and it's aggressive. It has attacked before. It got in my back yard when my SO was walking her on her leash and attacked my German shepherd puppy. Surprisingly enough my German Shepherd was able to hold off the pitbull until a neighbor got in to try to break up the fight.

I ended up having to put up a chain link fence in the back yard. It does make my back yard look nicer now too. And when it gets out we now have peace of mind that it can't get into the back yard and hurt the German Shedder.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it is probably a good idea to make a call to police before an incident happens. Have them come out to visit you and it will be in their computer records forever. If something happens, the dispatcher will notify responding officers of the address and that this issue was addressed before.

Living in the country has its challenges also and is not automatically the blissful setting that so many espouse.

1) Letting your dog run free you have to expect an occasional scuffle.

2) Occurred on your friend's property, with your friend's dog on a chain.

That lady is crazy if she thinks it is anyone's fault but her own.

Pits are among the most loyal and friendly dogs; IMO this will not change behavior.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Hindsight is 20/20, but it is probably a good idea to make a call to police before an incident happens. Have them come out to visit you and it will be in their computer records forever. If something happens, the dispatcher will notify responding officers of the address and that this issue was addressed before.

This is the route I took when I had a similar incident with my German Shepherd. We had a dog rush us while walking on a sidewalk - the owner had a similar attitude as the owner of this dog. I just called the non-emergency line when I got home and said I wanted to make a report. The officer took all the details, I figured it was a good way to document the issue in case things escalated.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
When I was a kid, Dad raced greyhounds.

Got any greyhound stories? We went to a couple of races in Phoenix before the track shut down and had a blast. Those dogs are SO FAST your mind can't get around it.

PM'd you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back