2006 Monte Carlo? (Might be an SS?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Friends of ours are selling their 2006 Monte Carlo, which I am thinking might be a good 1st car for our son?

I know very little about them but our friends have taken good care of theirs and that is why I am interested.

Car has around 180,000 kms on it and supposedly has a 3.8 ltr engine (could only find 3.5's, 3.9's and 5.3's searching?)
Interior looks good, A/C works, has newer tires, etc. ( but I need a better look tomorrow in the daylight)

They are wanting $3000 firm (CDN) which I think, based on a quick search, is a pretty decent/fair price.(pic of exact model below)

Any info good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks.
11.gif

Edit: Based on the pic provided, the car may be an SS?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Chevys that age are not worth 3000.
$3,000 Canadian is $2,278 USD

Do you want grandchildren? Those were old man cars even when they were new, hard to believe they killed the Camaro and kept that in production.

$3000 can go a lot further than that, especially at the Oshawa co part. I would be watching it like a hawk if I lived there!

If it is an SS it probably has the Gen III 3.8 supercharged in it. Good engine, transmission reliability had greatly improved by this year, solid bodies and lots of parts for this car. It is very easy to repair.
If it has been halfway decently maintained its worth the asking price all day long with 112K miles on it. This is a W body, a GTP with a Chevy twist.

2 door cars put any driver in the "leaned back" position which is no good at all for driving....goes double for new drivers.

The seats don't even allow for "up to the wheel" seating position.

2 door sedan / coupe pseudo sports car. bad rear seat...no cargo capacity...

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Chevys that age are not worth 3000.

If the car is mechanically sound and not rusted-out, I disagree.
If it is actually an SS it will have a 5.3L LS4 V/8 engine and is worth a whole lot more than $3k.
Lower end models got a 3.5L V/6 or 3.9L V/6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
It’s a 2 Door Chevy Lumina. What else needs to be said? Pass!

No. In 2006 this car was built on the 110.5" wheelbase W-Body chassis, the same as the Impala, so it is really a 2-door Impala.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
...which I am thinking might be a good 1st car for our son?

Check what the insurance will cost with a teenager (?) as the primary driver (presuming insurance is done in CA the same as in the US).

Would be interesting to hear what a 16-20 year old thinks about it's "Styling".

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Wouldn't matter to me, it's yellow!

Yellow!

I'd drive just about anything if you paint it yellow.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: irv
...which I am thinking might be a good 1st car for our son?

Check what the insurance will cost with a teenager (?) as the primary driver (presuming insurance is done in CA the same as in the US).

Good advice.
If the car is actually a V/8 SS, the insurance cost could be astronomical for a young male driver, and IMO a car with this much power would be too much car for him. A Monte Carlo LS or LT would be more appropriate for someone his age.
The picture that the OP posted was of a 2000-2005 model Monte Carlo. The 2006 was restyled and looks completely different.

The above pic is from the Monte Carlo Wiki, the pic that the OP posted is from the same Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Monte_Carlo

Last edited:
That pic doesn't look like an 06, but does look like an SS.

The 2006+ SS had the V8
The 2005 SS had the supercharged 3800
The 2004 SS could be either NA or supercharged 3800
The 00-03 SS had the regular 3800

Also, the car got a refresh in 2006. It would look more like this:
54405795.jpg

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Wouldn't matter to me, it's yellow!

Yellow!

I'd drive just about anything if you paint it yellow.

2001-Pontiac-Aztek-front-three-quarter.jpg

Last edited:
If the seller provided the picture that the OP used, and the seller claims that the car is a 2006 and has a 3.8L V/6, IMO the whole thing smells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back