One Synthetic Oil for all OPE

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Amsoil ACD 10w-30/30W or Delo 15w-30 if only one.

Agree on the Amsoil!

Been using this in all of the small engines I have for years. Before that I used the AMSOIL 5w-30 automotive rated oils. I have had 3 walk behind mowers I have beat the heck out mowing lawns. I would change the oil at 1 year, and it still looked great. Using the ACD on an MTD used mower I bought in July of 2016. Very happy with it.
Briggs recommends synthetic in the manuals I have read in recent 15+ years.

Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
Straight 30 is FAR superior to ANY multi viscosity OUL
IN mowers.
You are being duped

Duped huh?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
IN mowers.
You are being duped

Duped huh?

Absolutely. You should never put "OUL" in your mowers.

IN mowers.
You are being duped
I don't feel duped.

I would say that AMSOIL small engine oil is superior to just about anything out there. Made as a synthetic small engine oil with a better additive package for rust protection. Also in addition it is shear stable for air cooled engines. Just don't think that any automotive oil that most people think is great in lawn equipment, is necessarily formulated for it.

I see engines that come in at work "marine outboards" that the customer thinks that using automotive oil is good enough. But when their engine cams rust from an insufficeint rust additive package, then they find out it is not good enough. Not really saying that will happen on your lawn equipment. Just an analogy......

I switched to synthetic oil, and fluids in 1995, and won't ever turn back.....peace out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
IN mowers.
You are being duped
I don't feel duped.

I would say that AMSOIL small engine oil is superior to just about anything out there. Made as a synthetic small engine oil with a better additive package for rust protection. Also in addition it is shear stable for air cooled engines. Just don't think that any automotive oil that most people think is great in lawn equipment, is necessarily formulated for it.

I see engines that come in at work "marine outboards" that the customer thinks that using automotive oil is good enough. But when their engine cams rust from an insufficeint rust additive package, then they find out it is not good enough. Not really saying that will happen on your lawn equipment. Just an analogy......

I switched to synthetic oil, and fluids in 1995, and won't ever turn back.....peace out.

+1, been using Amsoil Small engine formula for 10+ years.

I would not recommend a standard automotive 5w30 or 10w30 on OPE, but the Amsoil or a HDEO 10w30 or 15w40 work great!

These discussions make me laugh.

When was the last time anyone here had or heard of an OPE engine prematurely fail due to the type/brand or viscosity of the oil used in it?

I use a blend of Rotella 5W30 & 15W40 mixed 50-50. It's inexpensive, readily available, works well in cold & hot temperatures and has all of the necessary components to protect all OPE engines at nowhere near the cost of expensive synthetics such as Amsoil.

What would be the stimulus to make me change? If anyone has an answer, I'm all ears.

I prefer a “true” sae 30, meaning HTHS of 3.5-3.6 instead of a “resource conserving” 30 with HTHS 3-3.1. This is because the oil operating temp is higher in air cooled OPE.

Stuff that meets this:

M1 HM 10w-30
Rotella 10w-30 and higher
Delo 10w-30 and higher
Most any HDEO 10w-30 and higher...
Straight 30 monograde
The Amsoil small engine oil
Any 10w-40 or higher

See a pattern?

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I prefer a “true” sae 30, meaning HTHS of 3.5-3.6 instead of a “resource conserving” 30 with HTHS 3-3.1. This is because the oil operating temp is higher in air cooled OPE.

Stuff that meets this:

M1 HM 10w-30
Rotella 10w-30 and higher
Delo 10w-30 and higher
Most any HDEO 10w-30 and higher...
Straight 30 monograde
The Amsoil small engine oil
Any 10w-40 or higher

See a pattern?
Amsoil Small Engine oil 10w30 HTHS is 3.3

I am using Delo XLE 10w-30 HDEO in all of my OPE except my snow blower. It works great in everything, is available cheap at wal-mart and has all of the robust protection I would ever need. The snow blower gets M1 0w-30. 0w-30 really does make my big simplicity blower easier to start when it has been really cold overnight.

From what I'm gathering, is it safe to say Rotella T5 10W-30 should be fine year round in my generator? Owner's manual says 5W-30 below 32F, 10W-30 above. It's also what I run in my John Deere mower.

Okay, allow me to introduce a slightly different twist to the topic. My Ariens snow blower with 254 cc motor is the outlier in this conversation. It stands to reason that a snow blower won't see much use above 32 degrees F, let alone 40 F at the extreme. The manual calls for 5w30. What are your thoughts on running a good quality 0w20 synthetic in a snow blower? With three cars in the driveway spec'd for 0w20, there will always be some on hand.

I would say try it.
Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Okay, allow me to introduce a slightly different twist to the topic. My Ariens snow blower with 254 cc motor is the outlier in this conversation. It stands to reason that a snow blower won't see much use above 32 degrees F, let alone 40 F at the extreme. The manual calls for 5w30. What are your thoughts on running a good quality 0w20 synthetic in a snow blower? With three cars in the driveway spec'd for 0w20, there will always be some on hand.

My Ariens snow blower with 254 cc motor is the outlier in this conversation. It stands to reason that a snow blower won't see much use above 32 degrees F, let alone 40 F at the extreme. The manual calls for 5w30. What are your thoughts on running a good quality 0w20 synthetic in a snow blower? With three cars in the driveway spec'd for 0w20, there will always be some on hand.

0W20 will be fine in a snow blower. Now, I will tell you why.

Air cooled small engines TYPICALLY run about 140 degrees hotter than the ambient temp, give or take (generality). So a mower engine ran on a 85 degree day, will run at ABOUT 225 degrees. A mower engine ran at 20 degrees will run at ABOUT 160 degrees. As you are probably aware, 160 degree oil is much thicker than 225 degree oil viscosity wise. So your 160 degree 0W20 oil will be thicker than a 5W30 or 5W40 oil is at 225 degrees.

Basically, snow blower engines never really get all that hot. Yes they get hot, but they dont get summer time in Arizona hot. They have cooling fans blowing cold air on the engine, which rapidly cools it. A 20 weight is more than enough when you take the temperature viscosity curve into equation.

Kawasaki recommends 5w20 for below freezing. That used to be a typical below freezing recommendation for OPEs. Considering that 0w20 need to be a higher quality than 5w20 and 5w20 being a below freezing recommendations, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Back