82 Yamaha IT175

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up an old beater bike to mess around in the bush with. It runs great but is quite hideous. I plan to run it on 32:1 with whatever oil I have around. I’m pretty excited cause I have several unopened bottles of yamalube from the 80s that I can finally put to use.

Anyone have an old smoker they still ride now and again?

I pine for the old 1971 Kawasaki Mach III and the Yamaha 1975 RD350 I once owned.

i ride old 80s smokers all the time..love em!

do it a favor and run it on some good ethanol free with some good modern lube. would be a shame if the old yamalube has deteriorated..make sure to keep the air filter clean and oiled with filter oil. belray filter oil is excellent. nothing wears out a smoker like dirt..

I used to have an '84 IT200. It was a great bike for me, just ran and ran. We got if from a bike mechanic in '92 and he recommended 20:1! Made mixing easy, and it got just cheap motomaster 2T oil. Every couple years I took the pipe and muffler off and burned out the carbon build up. Probably I put 400hrs on it and never did replace even the rings before I sold it...
Now I've got a 1996 YZ250 which is much quicker than the IT(and me) and I think about selling it and getting an old IT again.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I used to have an '84 IT200. It was a great bike for me, just ran and ran. We got if from a bike mechanic in '92 and he recommended 20:1! Made mixing easy, and it got just cheap motomaster 2T oil. Every couple years I took the pipe and muffler off and burned out the carbon build up. Probably I put 400hrs on it and never did replace even the rings before I sold it...
Now I've got a 1996 YZ250 which is much quicker than the IT(and me) and I think about selling it and getting an old IT again.

I know what you mean. I used to attempt to ride an 02 CR250 on the trails and it was just too much. This is a much more manageable ride. I’ve noticed it’s a bit of a spooge monster but man does it run good.

Congrats on the IT175. They're cool bikes.
smile.gif

I come from the 1970's Hodaka, Bultaco and Ossa (and Yamaha) direction. Almost bought another used Frontera 370 a while back. But have too many projects as is ...

2-strokes rule. I've trailed a lot of bikes from little Hodaka's to ISDT, and I still have a '76 XL 350 for the desert, but ... When it comes to tight, rocky and winding trails, I'll take the 'Taco or Ossa anytime
laugh.gif

Just gotta learn to tune. Once you have 2-strokes figured out, you are golden.

I don't run cheap oil in any of my 2-strokes, outboards, chainsaws, or dirt bikes. I run Motul 710 or above. Still have a full can of Full Bore (our race oil back in the day) for nostalgia sake. 32:1 is a good ratio for most modern oils.

Last edited:
My father's been riding and races an IT200 for the past few years; also an '82 I believe. I love that bike.

Nice grab
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Warlord
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I know what you mean. I used to attempt to ride an 02 CR250 on the trails and it was just too much. This is a much more manageable ride. I’ve noticed it’s a bit of a spooge monster but man does it run good.

Yeah mine used to leave the back of my shirts specked with oil from the exhaust, but I think all that oil did help keep the motor together when wound out on the roads. Or bogged down in the swamp. I remember one day we just were trying to see how big a rooster tail we could get! I couldn't quite pull 5th gear but 4th gear WO through the mud at a walking pace would throw it pretty good! Or sitting on the gas tank and dumping the clutch in 3rd on a gravel road from a stand still... The guy maintaining the roads for the cottage association had a word with my Dad after we did that a few times. He had an XL200 or something like that so I think he was just jealous of the 2 smoke power!
grin.gif

Just.checking in. My favorite motorcycle of all time is the Yamaha IT490 with some practical performance mods. Light, 60+hp and gobs of midrange. Just a fun machine. The smaller flavors were also great.

I had an IT465 and it was a torque BEAST. My understanding was they were enduro's and even came with small head/brake light for street usage. Mine was stripped down and just dirt. Like was said really light great bikes.

Well I burnt a tank of Motul 710 at 32:1. Next I think I’ll mix up some cheaper stuff at 24:1 and get rid of the mosquitoes in my riding area.

I picked up an old beater bike to mess around in the bush with. It runs great but is quite hideous. I plan to run it on 32:1 with whatever oil I have around. I’m pretty excited cause I have several unopened bottles of yamalube from the 80s that I can finally put to use.

Anyone have an old smoker they still ride now and again?

I use to have the identical bike, Warlord but sold it years ago after my son was born. Years prior, it was nothing but MX bikes and racing for me.
My buds all went in different directions bikewise like enduro's, hare scrambles, or got out of it completely due to losing riding areas so I also sold mine.

Years later, the IT became available so I jumped all over it for $800 bucks. I didn't ride it much but when I did, it put a huge smile on my face as it was easy to ride compared to MX bikes.

When my son was born, 17 yrs ago and atv's starting becoming popular I sold it to a friend (who still has it) and purchased an atv so I could also take my son with me when he became old enough.

Once my son became experienced/old enough, I purchased a small atv for him which we rode when we could, which wasn't very often due to other extracurricular activities, namely water sports.

My son then chose to play hockey when he was 8 so I sold both atvs and have basically not ridden anything since other than a quick ride on a 92 YZ 250 I inherited when my buddy passed away. I was going to keep it but with not knowing many who still rode and the fact that one (here in Ontario anyways) needs it plated, insured and trail passes, I decided to sell it.
The only thing we ride now are snowmobiles when we get the chance, and if we have snow?
I miss owning a bike and miss riding as there is nothing like it, imo, but at this stage in my life, its highly unlikely I'll ever own another one?
Enjoy your bike. There great little machines!
11.gif

Great pictures irv! Did you ever go riding out at Ganaraska? I grew up near there.

Thanks.
11.gif

I rode in the Ganny lots back in the day and I still sled in there, Warlord. I had a buddy who lived in Kendal and we rode right from his house into the Ganny most weekends in the spring and fall.

Those pics of me on those bikes were taken from the Mosport area. My buddy's Dad owned a big chunk of property near the track so we also spent a lot of time there riding the track we made and riding into the Ganny as well.
I believe a Ganny pass is now $175 dollars from May 24th until November 1st? The good old days are gone where you didn't have to paying anything and had tons of places to ride.

As far as I know, the Ganny, despite the trail pass requirement is still a popular place to ride? I know it still is as far as sledding goes as I mainly ride there in the winter leaving from the Port Perry Clubhouse.

I grew up just down the road from Kendal near Garden Hill. Small world eh. I recall it was 10 bucks for a year long Ganny parking pass when I moved but we had a way to ride there from our place. I sure miss all the trails back there.

I grew up just down the road from Kendal near Garden Hill. Small world eh. I recall it was 10 bucks for a year long Ganny parking pass when I moved but we had a way to ride there from our place. I sure miss all the trails back there.

Sure is!
11.gif

I travel hwy/county rd 9 heading to our trailer in Marmora so I go through Kendal and Garden hill and all those other small towns quite often during the summer.
How long ago did you move, Warlord?
I know a few people out that way all along hwy 9 right up until hwy 45, and wouldn't mind it one bit moving out that way when I retire. Pretty country, especially in the fall and being able to see for miles on some of those hills on 9.

Oh it’s been about 15 years now I’ve been away. Every time I go back for a visit it gets harder to leave.

There's no place like home.
11.gif

So I’m thinking this old bike needs some good old castor oil to get that nostalgic smell. I’m thinking some Super Techniplate. Anyone have any other bean oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back