5.0L Lamborghini Gallardo oil comsumption Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone. About 6 months ago I purchased a 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo which has approx: 29K. miles on it. Also of important note this 5.0L V10 is full straight piped, no catalytic converter's and no mufflers of any kind. I have just done my first oil change using Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 synthetic oil.
Not good results, car is white smoking on first cold start up (maybe condensation) and is blue smoking on each downshift (engine breaking downshifting) Lastly I've driven the car 600 miles on the Motul 5w-40 Synthetic an I needed to add an additional 1.1 quarts of oil in ONLY 600 MILES.
I refuse to rebuild this engine, my only Band-Aid fix is thicker oil at this time.

What do I buy, 10w-50, 15w-50, 10w-60, 20w-60? Since my car has no Converters the oil additive's package that can sometimes harm the converters wont affect my car.

Motul 300v, Motul 8100, Castrol Edge SuperCar, Valvoline VR1 Racing oil, Millers 10w50 nanodrive cfs nt, Redline Synthetic, Liqui Moly Synthetic, Shell Helix Ultra Racing oil. I'm totally lost on what oil will stop my oil consumption and blue smoke on downshifts.....

Last edited:
My first try would be some Kreen to maybe free the rings.
I'd bet that this high-zoot Audi (what this car really is) has coked rings from gentle driving on short impress the proles trips. Yeah, I already know that Audi claims this not to be their engine, but really?
It certainly wasn't run much at only 2K or so each year.
It would be worth it to try to free the rings with Kreen or some other strong solvent, since that is the most likely problem.
If that yielded no improvement, I'd then try M1 15W-50.
Just running and using this neglected car will probably give an improvement in oil consumption over time.
I hope that you got a killer deal on this thing.

Can you tell us anything about the service history on the car? What oil multi-vis does the owners manual specify? Hoping you don't have a burnt valve from running straight pipes. And is that even street legal in Ohio?

I believe the factory spec on those was 5w40. Higher output versions (also of the R8, the same car) ran 10w60.

Originally Posted By: EricWalls
...and is blue smoking on each downshift (engine breaking downshifting) ...

So - HIGH manifold vacuum - how are crankcase gasses vented on this car?

People will say that sometimes switching oil will increase consumption...

I’d do 2 things to start:

Figure out if it is sucking oil through the PCV system
Stick with whats in it and put some more miles on it...

I'll try an throw up some pic's of the car if I can figure that out. The early model 5 liter Gallardo's are Horribly bad for oil consumption issue's. Lamborghini themselves even state that on 2004-2008 Gallardo's 1 Liter of oil per 1,000 miles driven is an "acceptable" amount. That is unbelievable to me.

I'm strongly considering adding 1-quart lucas oil stabilizer to the car with my next oil change. Any reason's not to? The prior owner had filled the car with Royal Purple (Soo bad) 5w-30 for winter driving in the state of Maine, I emptied that Royal Purple as soon as possible.

I'll try an throw up some pic's of the car if I can figure that out.

It's easy, click reply then click the box that has the blue up arrow on it. Should be easy from there.

There's also a 70wt dragster oil. You might have to try a few different oils before you find something that stops the consumption.

Conventional might be something to try too.

There's also a caster bean oil meant for oil burners. It doesn't produce as much tail pipe smoke.

I'll try an throw up some pic's of the car if I can figure that out. The early model 5 liter Gallardo's are Horribly bad for oil consumption issue's. Lamborghini themselves even state that on 2004-2008 Gallardo's 1 Liter of oil per 1,000 miles driven is an "acceptable" amount. That is unbelievable to me.

I'm strongly considering adding 1-quart lucas oil stabilizer to the car with my next oil change. Any reason's not to? The prior owner had filled the car with Royal Purple (Soo bad) 5w-30 for winter driving in the state of Maine, I emptied that Royal Purple as soon as possible.

1L/1000mi is a pretty standard "acceptable quoted consumption rate" for most manufacturers these days.

Nothing wrong with Royal Purple, but the car wasn't spec'd for 5w30 so I don't really know why they would've put that in there. The fact that this thing is burning oil and blowing smoke, plus running the wrong viscosity, is a huge red flag that the previous owner didn't take good care of it.

I would try 10w60 seeing as how it's an OEM oil for that car in certain states of tune. I think the OEM 10w60 was Castrol Edge, but you can get Lubro-Moly 10w60 at NAPA pretty easily.

"blue smoking on each downshift (engine breaking downshifting)"

That is generally valve stem seals.

I would try some high mileage oil to try and condition the seals and get them to swell some and reduce consumption.

Stuck rings seems like a good hypothesis.

Heavier oil seems like a bad idea. Conventional seems like a terrible idea.

If this were my car, the first thing I'd do is find a good Lambo tech. Have you tried that?

Lamborghini themselves even state that on 2004-2008 Gallardo's 1 Liter of oil per 1,000 miles driven is an "acceptable" amount. That is unbelievable to me.

Welcome to high performance engines!
thumbsup2.gif
If assembled right, broken in gently, maintained well, and never beaten on when cold, they're usually fine. Otherwise, pucker up...

Engines like this are made by small groups of engineers with small-company funds and resources, with performance as the main goal and screw everything else. Completely different world from normal cars made by huge companies with durability and neglect tolerance in mind.

I'm strongly considering adding 1-quart lucas oil stabilizer to the car with my next oil change. Any reason's not to?

That's the wrong question. For any additive, what you should be asking is whether there is any reason TO add it.

The answer is almost always "no."

That goes double for Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and triple for anything you think you should add to decrease consumption.

The prior owner had filled the car with Royal Purple (Soo bad) 5w-30 for winter driving in the state of Maine, I emptied that Royal Purple as soon as possible.

I completely agree with dparm that this strongly suggests the previous owner had no idea what they were doing. That'd explain the insane oil consumption, too.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Link for smokeless motor oil.

http://fhsoils.com/product/smokeless-motor-oil/

Very interesting.. I had no idea "smokeless oil" even existed. I'll look into that.

The stuck or seized piston rings have me abit worried. I think I need to go ahead an do a compression and/or leak down test on all 10 cylinders first. If I discover low compression (doubtful) then I'll know I've got serious piston ring and oil blow by issues to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back