16 Silverado 5.3L, A/C Delco 0W-20, 7745 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why

Decided to take advantage of a free dealer oil change, and as you can see from my results, am regretting it. This OCI did occur through an abnormally cold winter and spring and it did do a lot of idling. Miles were probably 50/50 city/highway. Filter was new Fram Ultra. OLM was at 1% remaining. The two previous samples were with PUP 5W-20.

Dumped the oil and refilled with M1 EP 0W-20 that I scored for $14/jug. Curious to see if the iron drops back down next sample.

Bit of an increase in wear metals for the dealer oil....doubt they even knew what it was. Hope the M1 brings it down for you, how long was this run on the calendar?

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Bit of an increase in wear metals for the dealer oil....doubt they even knew what it was. Hope the M1 brings it down for you, how long was this run on the calendar?

A tad over 10 months.

If you really want to clean it up quick, run this OCI for 3k or less, then follow it up with another OCI of 3k or less. This will flush out any copper or iron that is currently sticking to the block and in nooks and crannies. It worked on my Odyssey, the first UOA when I got it was 31ppm Fe, I ran PP for 3k, then drained and refilled with PP 5w20 again, and ran it 6500 miles. My iron dropped to single digits and has remained there for 30k.

The fact that they are saying a trace of fuel to me is telling me that there is a lot more than a trace and that is one of the major factors in this sample not looking so good. It is my understanding that Blackstone's test for fuel isn't very accurate and is an older method.

Just remembered...it wasn’t a fram ultra this run, it was also an ac delco filter. Still, the insolubles didnt change so I suppose it did the trick.

Copper and iron seem way too high
This engine should be way past break in.

Where is the manganese coming from??

We who actually own and use GM V8's every day will tell you that the OA numbers are not concerning.

While the iron is "high" it is easily accounted for and the copper may stick around for a long time. Yet the engine will likely easily outlast the rest of the truck.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
All Chevy engines seem to have such bad iron numbers I can't believe it!

That's generally what we see on here. The oil often has little to do with wear metals. A good engine and good oil, you can go longer. Some engines just naturally wear more or show more wear. Some oils can reduce wear a bit, but IMO it's never significant enough that you'd really notice a difference in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back