'16 VW Golf SportWagen: first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG-ers,

My display lit this morning with "oil change in 30 days".

So, the eternal BITOG question:

What oil and oil filter should I use? (any existing deals? Amazon/Costco/Wally?)

I know it has to be VW 502.00.

Also, can I do it trough the dipstick (vacuum pump style), quiet-ninja style(I live in a condo)?

Edit:car has 8,467 miles. Oil has been changed by a VW dealer at 5,757 miles, about 3 months ago...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
M1 0W-40 and OEM filter.

Roofless, I remember you had a good site for german parts: is the fcpeuro?

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Castrol 5W-40 and OEM filter.

Thank you!

How are the grandkids liking the sporty wagon?

Stealth method:
thumbsup2.gif

I see Synpower carries the 502

In a new VW I'd go Castrol and factory filter as well. Looks like a very cool car to own.

(In my 06 GTI I run Rotella T6 5w40 and a Mann Filter)

Blauparts. Use Ravenol synthetic. Drain it the old fashioned way. Stealth method doesn't get the heavies out of the bottom of the pan. Replace the filter with OE Volkswagen filter

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Did the dealer forget to reset the oil monitor?

I was thinking the same as it should be the same OCI as my GTI...10k or 1 year.

The advantage of the VW engine is that topside changes are so easy. Change the filter first, suck the oil out and refill. I believe it has VW’s blessing.

As far as the OP’s question, find an oil with 502 00, 229.5, A40 and LL-01 then rest well. Castrol 0w-40 is the easiest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
M1 0W-40 and OEM filter.

Roofless, I remember you had a good site for german parts: is the fcpeuro?
Thank you!

I used to get everything from GermanAutoParts, but apparently they recently went under. Good dudes too... Such a shame.

AutoHausAZ and FCPEuro should have everything you need and more, and I've never had an issue.

AutoHausAZ is nice because they're a real parts house, instead of just a warehouse: if it's not listed on their website, they can get it for you.

AAP is nice too: they're owned by World Pac (or vise versa) and can get you OE parts quickly.

I've used UroTuning, ECS Tuning, FCPEuro and AAP for VW parts and had no issues with any of them.

I do: Mobil 1 0W40, changed every 5,000. On the 10k, 20k, 30k ect marks i change oil and OEM filter. For the 5,000 mark i just vacuum the oil out and replace with new. Could the oil make it the whole 10k like VW recommends? Probably. I just like to have nice fresh oil in there for a timing chain turbo direct injection engine.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
More of the same old paranoia dareo. Waste not want not

We do not know his traffic conditions...
Plus we well find out if it's working, somewhere between 35k-120k miles. (per some regular Golf with same engine, carbon deposits stories on the VW forums...)

I see 6qt/liters of Ravenol + filter + gasket + plug for about $65 online. About 1/2 of European prices...
We are pampered...

My driving conditions are from stop-and-go (construction induced slow traffic for miles) to keep up with traffic at 80 mph.

My car reported mpg is 31-36 in these conditions.

So I guess, we'll drive and see...

Originally Posted By: madeej11
More of the same old paranoia dareo. Waste not want not

I do hard city miles, 25 a day, and i don't use the wagon every single day. So the hard use and slow accrual of miles puts me over 6 months before i hit those 5k.

Only under ideal driving like 100 miles a day down a 55 mph road with no stops would i be comfortable with the full 10,000 miles recommended by VW.

I am leaving some miles on that oil but i'm not going to do a UOA to find out. Nor do i want to take the evidence from other peoples engines (or even my own) at different mileages as proof of future results. What if i'm there at 6500 miles and suddenly i have an uptick in fuel dilution? Would be more of an issue if i had already put 5000+1500 miles on that oil than if it was 1500 mile oil. With my current system there is no worry about shearing, fuel dilution, additives, oil seals hardening. All i have to worry about is buying a few extra jugs of 0w40 when its on sale.

It's also worth noting that STP Euro 5W-40 has OEM approvals and the STP blue can (at least at my store) is a quality Champ-made item.

Can't go wrong with a $26 oil change.

Pandus13, the grandkids love the Golf All Track wagon. Good back seat room for safety seats for a 6 year old and a three year old. The younger boy loves to open the shade that covers the panoramic sun roof. My wife and I love the comfort of the wagon on long trips and the more than adequate cargo room that we can fill with luggage and purchases made on the way. SO far, averages between 34.6-37 mpg on long trips using intermediate octane fuel. I am not heavy on the accelerator pedal, however, and rarely run over 65 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back