Stuff floating in oil additive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Marco Esquandoles
Here are some photos. No amount of shaking fixes it.

https://imgur.com/a/mDUlgdw

I wouldn't use it with that stuff floating around in it. Have you contacted the mfg. and asked for an explanation?

Quote:
I am at the end of a gallon of LC20 and have floaters in my last 16oz.

That would be unacceptable to me.

I would send pictures to LCD and ask them for a clean replacement of the product.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

I would send pictures to LCD and ask them for a clean replacement of the product.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

MolaKule,

Ritchie from LCD said its normal to see this if the product has sit for some time and said its safe to use minus the solids accumulated at the bottom. No replacement was offered.

Direct quote

Quote:

That has happened before as the product sits for a length of time, some particles will sink to the bottom and ultimately stain the bottom of the container. It is still OK to use the liquid product on top, (the top ounces) but I would stop before you got to the very bottom just so you don't introduce any large particles into the system.

Last edited:
If you must use the LC20 additive, just put a small rag or coffee filter into a funnel and pour it through to catch the chunks before they get into the engine.

Originally Posted By: DGXR
If you must use the LC20 additive, just put a small rag or coffee filter into a funnel and pour it through to catch the chunks before they get into the engine.

I plan to try this with a blue 'shop' towel. sort of a thicker paper towel.

Well.. the blue shop towel didn't work. It didn't drain quick enough (or at all that I could tell). So I tried my best to dispense 6 oz into my 3.6L Pentastar after an oil change and I could see some 'chunks' come through the flip nozzle. I figure they're small and/or soft enough to get through that the oil filter will still catch them.

If I was a coffee drinker I would have used a coffee filter probably to a higher degree of success but alas, I'm not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco Esquandoles

...If I was a coffee drinker I would have used a coffee filter probably to a higher degree of success but alas, I'm not....

What? I thought all BITOGERS drank coffee!
lol.gif
13.gif

Pick up a box of the fine mesh paint strainers from Harbor Freight. These are paper funnels with nylon mesh at the bottom. A box of 100 is less than $5.

good to know! I don't have enough LC20 left to go through that many though. Maybe I'll see if I can poach a couple filters from the office or something.

It's probably all getting trapped in the oil filter anyway... so not sure if it really matters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back