Maine Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with them? Seems the Subaru driving crowd was the worst.

Just got back on Saturday from 9 days in ME and NH. Visited Acadia, Mt Washington and other spots such as the Bangor, ME Police Department. Not that I was in trouble, I had to see the Duck of Justice mentioned on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/bangormainepolice/

While I loved ME, and sorry about bringing the STL like weather to your area last week, the drivers about drove us crazy.

Seems I'm not alone thinking they are bad: http://hashtagmaine.bangordailynews.com/...-worst-drivers/

http://wcyy.com/new-study-says-maine-drivers-amongst-worst-in-the-entire-country/

http://hashtagmaine.bangordailynews.com/...-talking-about/

So some beautiful country, some really nice people and more than their fair share of bad drivers.

I'll have to review the Nissan Armada we had for the trip too.

Maybe El-Hefe could chime in. Perhaps I should have asked him in advance so I was ready for the experience
smile.gif

I'm from Maine, and I don't know what you're talking about.

Oh wait...

Ive never noticed anything different honestly, been going to Denmark, Brigton, Portland for about 8 years. I stick to backroads mostly up there, its such a great area to explore

Hmmm,

The trucks I encountered typically stayed right. Very little of the pass at the rate of continental drift that I witnessed in ME when a two lane would add an up-hill passing lane where one Subaru would go 47 and the other Subaru was in the right lane at 46.6 MPH.

I don't recalling looking up into the cab of trucks as I already had enough to do at 200+ KPH
smile.gif

If you didn't like Maine drivers you sure won't like the California ones. Many of them can't read English so they can't read the signs. The rest are driving dangerous hoopties since we don't have safety inspections

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Hmmm,

The trucks I encountered typically stayed right. Very little of the pass at the rate of continental drift that I witnessed in ME when a two lane would add an up-hill passing lane where one Subaru would go 47 and the other Subaru was in the right lane at 46.6 MPH.

I don't recalling looking up into the cab of trucks as I already had enough to do at 200+ KPH
smile.gif

Re: 200KPH

(how do you insert a BIG THUMBS UP?)

Originally Posted By: Chris142
If you didn't like Maine drivers you sure won't like the California ones. Many of them can't read English so they can't read the signs. The rest are driving dangerous hoopties since we don't have safety inspections

While it's been a while since I've been to CA, I don't recall having any really bad experiences other than just bad traffic in the bay area.

Going to give it another go in OCT when oilBabe and I head to LA to take in the Reagan and Nixon presidential libraries/museums. That's a thing we do.

Odd, I found they were slower for the most part. I guess it depends on your control sample.

I'm not counting the knuckleheads in Acadia who would be in the left hand lane of the loop road and then want to dart right to park to see something, not checking the right lane as they were already looking while seeking a parking spot.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
They always been Maineiacs.

Been to Bangor Airport several times as almost every servicemember goes through there enroute to Iraq or Afghanistan. Never driven there, but I doubt if Maine is alone with moron drivers. I drive delivery from Lincoln to Omaha 3 days per week and I see stupid stuff every day. Drivers that zoom around and cut off 18 wheeelers, drivers who never yield when coming off of the ramps , drivers who weave in and out constantly. A few days ago in Lincoln I was downtown in the straight ahead lane, an idiot to my left in the left turn lane decided that he did not want to turn left so when I had the green he raced around me going straight. I get honked at several times per week by morons who cannot wait for the light to turn green and they honk at me hoping that I will turn right on red when it is a (no right red) or when I do not have the visibility to safely turn red. Also see morons who are in right turn only and then at the last second the decide that they want to go straight. Then there are everyone's favorite: the weavers who pass everyone and weave in and out of traffic constantly any to end up maybe 1 car length ahead at the next light. Then there are the side zoomers who desite ample warning of a lane restriction they wait until the last second and try and squeeze in. I do not think Maine has a monopol on idiot drivers.... not by a long shot

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Been to Bangor Airport several times as almost every servicemember goes through there enroute to Iraq or Afghanistan. Never driven there, but I doubt if Maine is alone with moron drivers. I drive delivery from Lincoln to Omaha 3 days per week and I see stupid stuff every day. Drivers that zoom around and cut off 18 wheeelers, drivers who never yield when coming off of the ramps , drivers who weave in and out constantly. A few days ago in Lincoln I was downtown in the straight ahead lane, an idiot to my left in the left turn lane decided that he did not want to turn left so when I had the green he raced around me going straight. I get honked at several times per week by morons who cannot wait for the light to turn green and they honk at me hoping that I will turn right on red when it is a (no right red) or when I do not have the visibility to safely turn red. Also see morons who are in right turn only and then at the last second the decide that they want to go straight. Then there are everyone's favorite: the weavers who pass everyone and weave in and out of traffic constantly any to end up maybe 1 car length ahead at the next light. Then there are the side zoomers who desite ample warning of a lane restriction they wait until the last second and try and squeeze in. I do not think Maine has a monopol on idiot drivers.... not by a long shot

Daily sport in CHI area....
you should see people trying to get to the airport (ORD)...

Originally Posted By: Fifth87
Depends where in MA basing it on speed.

It is still a thing that shoulder is a legal passing lane at rush-hour?
I was pretty shocked around 2007...for the rest, CHI traffic tournament all-around match-for-match...

I drive quite a bit in Maine, NH , MA and VT. I live on that 15 min stretch on RT95/NH where get your money at toll as you pass MA<>NH<>ME.

I think they are just New England drivers and all over the place. I never noticed anything special in Maine except there is a lack of work rush hour. Just a ton of vacationer traffic.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

I was pretty shocked around 2007...for the rest, CHI traffic tournament all-around match-for-match...

There are certain lanes that are breakdown lanes, but during rush hour, you're allowed to use them as a regular driving lane. Got to read the signs though and see what hours it's allowed.

The only thing I noticed about Maine drivers is that they will not slow down and rubberneck when there's an accident on the other side of the highway. In CT, traffic would be backed up for miles for no good reason at all; just people being nosy.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Yup, still a thing to relieve congestion.

It's an infrastructure thing. There are three ways to get anywhere but all three will adjust to the traffic load so there is no truly best way. Not for lack of trying.

The turnpike cuts inland north of Portland so the northern coastal suburban residents on the free I-295 feel like they can bomb up and down as much as they please. They upped the speed limit to 70 then cut it back to 65 because yuppies couldn't hang up their phones and pay attention. Lots of wrecks.

There is a work rush hour but it's spread out. You see it on the side streets, not so much the interstates. We manage to keep the speed limit even if it's 1/2 second following distance, except for the aforementioned stretch of 295.

The $3 toll at the southern border is a pleasant emotional barrier. Lots of gorgeous farm houses in Wells-- you wouldn't know Massachusetts was 25 miles south.

You're seeing the state at its worst, full of tourists. When we had the economic crash in 2008 the 10% less commuter traffic really helped clear the roads out.

I think the cops are busy with the opioid epidemic as they aren't doing speed patrols like they did 20 years ago. We self-manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back