Who Makes The Best Looking Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM makes some very nice looking cars. I've really liked the Impala since 2005. Mine has a sportiness to it even though it's a family car. The new generation Impala looks nice as well. I limited my pick to vehicles I realistically have a shot of owning. Outside of that, I think BMW makes some really nice looking cars. I've seen a BMW hatchback/station wagon type thing that looked very sharp which was unexpected.

I like Ferrari, the newer Volvos, some GM vehicles, I don't mind a JEEP, I like Mazda, Aston-Martin, Audi, Bentley, some Rolls-Royce, gotta love a 911, some Dodge.

The last incarnation of Ford cars look good to my eye (and I am not a Ford style lover in general), a shame they are stopping production of everything except trucks and SUVs and Mustangs. The Mustang is OK but I don't share "America's Love of the Mustang". With the exception of the Gen II, the Camaro always looked better to me. Before they turned to garbage, the Mopar muscle cars are style winners. Even the AMX looks good to me, Javelin not so much but still not bad.

I like pretty much every incarnation of Cadillac except for some 80's dogs. I much prefer the classic Mini to the modern one, but the BMW Minis are still decent looking. The newer Alfa-Romeos are killer.

I am not crazy about most Mercedes-Benz (the seemingly foot wide badges are the killer there; to me it speaks of insecurity, but I understand it's a statement thing with buyers), VW is getting better but they are plain looking in general, and OMG Ugly are all those grills on Lexus. Hands down the worst looking; a shame because they are otherwise decent vehicles.

Nissan can make a nice looking vehicle (even though they don't always come through) but I don't consider them cars so much as a College Fund program for the repair shop's owners.

The way Ford has the Mustang looking lately is really attractive to me. Of all the "retro's", it does "modern retro re-make" the best. Dodge Challenger does "modern retro remake" the worst and just look wrong to me.

Across all brand-wide offerings I'd have to say:

American domestic: Chevrolet

European: Audi

Asian: No one -- all look generic and inspired by the anime cartoons

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Across all brand-wide offerings I'd have to say:

American domestic: Chevrolet

European: Audi

Asian: No one -- all look generic and inspired by the anime cartoons

I agree with all of your picks, actually (if we are talking current production - 60s GM styling is my favorite of all time).

Really, though, this question is like asking "blondes, brunettes, or redheads". All subjective.

Real cars for real people?

Audi and to a lesser extent VW have very conservative/classy looks I admire.

Chevrolets of the last few years are very sharp, not quite sure how well they will age.

KIA has looks down pat, unusual for Asian makes who seem to have struggled with appearance for years. Ironically KIA also spanks kissing cousin Hyundai in looks IMO. I read KIA has a former Audi designer at the helm these days, well it shows.

I can only really answer "not as many brands".

Seems all brands lately want aggressive styling and frequent redesigns, which tends to make the vehicle age much quicker. I remember becoming close to driving age in the early 2000s, and looking forward to new vehicle designs. Some I didn't like, but most were quite sharp. Now it seems to be the opposite, new refreshes make me go "wow that's ugly, I like the previous generation better".

Originally Posted By: nap
General Dynamics.

Aw ya went there
lol.gif

IMO Gulfstream makes them prettier.

I'm so not a blue oval fan...

But Ford Oz seems (IMO) to have the styling thing together at the moment, with consistency across the range.

The Rangers in their upmarket spec are really well done.

The question is so subjective that I'm not interested in my own answer. The criteria of "the last five years" might change things if I'm looking at individual models versus their entire range or vice versa.

I'd agree with the idea that the generic incestuousness of a lot of recent designs may generate something that looks nice...but many vehicles increasingly look like everything else.

For the last five years it would be Chevrolet-GMC. The Impala,Traverse.Acadia,Tahoe,Yukon and Suburban are the best looking vehicles on the road. The Ford Fusion is very nice also.

All that just IMHO. To each their own.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Pontiac Aztec was just so beautiful
grin.gif

Is it me or if you shrink an Aztek you get a Prius?

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
I think Jaguar is most appealing to my eyes.

I'd agree. Jaguar certainly makes some classy looking cars.

EDIT: One thing to note, the attractiveness of a car is a dynamic thing. A good example might be the BMW i3, which looks somewhat OK in pictures, but absolutely ridiculous going down the road.

The Jaguar F-Type R convertible in action is a sight to behold. The XF sedan looks not unlike a Camry in pictures, but is absolutely good looking in person and in action. The XE sedan is a smaller car, but still manages to look really good in person.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back