I (finally) changed cabin air filters on our cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Mazda 5 - We've owned this one since 2013, and I hadn't ever changed the cabin air filter. I don't know whether it had been changed previously. Anyway, it's a bit of a pain, but worthwhile - the old 2-piece filter was almost clogged with dried leaves, and the air box had a lot of leaf debris in it. I won't go into a detailed explanation; there are a lot of good YouTube how-to videos out there. But I will say that lots of contortions were required. The opening is too small to accommodate a 1-piece filter, so the top half has to be inserted first and then pushed up to allow the interlocking bottom half to be slid in. It was a pain the first time, probably 45 minutes, but I think I could do it again in 15 t0 20 minutes.

2009 Kia Sedona - We've had this van for just over two years, and given the state of the filter in the Mazda 5 I figured I should do this one as well. It was a lot easier - pop out the glove box, and remove an access plate behind the glove box. About 20 minutes this time, and I predict 10 minutes next time. The filter was not too bad, so it had likely been replaced previously. Glad I did it anyway.

These are the first vehicles I've ever owned with cabin air filters. Somehow we got by in the past without them.

I replace our cabin air filters once in, uhm, never.

But I regularly clean out the leaves, and occasionally hit them with compressed air. Of course they take a few seconds each to access. Perhaps if they were a major PITA I would be motivated to have a new filter handy before starting the job, and then install it just because it was at hand.

Originally Posted By: djb
I replace our cabin air filters once in, uhm, never.

But I regularly clean out the leaves, and occasionally hit them with compressed air. Of course they take a few seconds each to access. Perhaps if they were a major PITA I would be motivated to have a new filter handy before starting the job, and then install it just because it was at hand.

I may try doing that annually. The filters aren't that expensive, but if I can save a buck, why not?

Mine get pretty dirty in 6 months. I use cheap replacements and swap every 6 months. Excessive? Maybe but i like to think the air in my car is no worse than the air outside. Guess it depends where you are located as well.

Given enough dust & dirt, eventually they'll clog enough to restrict airflow. Blowing them out with compressed air will no longer work. Time for a new one.

Installed a K&N air filter cabin filter in my Cruze. Since it is washable, it will be easy to clean and reinstall. I figure the money saved over buying a cheap one every year, this one will pay for it's self in a few years.

Our '05 Odyssey was similar to your Kia it sounds like. Empty glove box, release the support arms (pop off like ball joints), and it falls open further allowing access to the filter housing. Our '14 Fusion requires TOO MUCH disassembly for something that could be changed frequently. My '08 G35 doesn't require as much disassembly (removal of pieces) but has multiple screws and clips (plastic).

K&N on my 2012 Honda Civic...I clean it with a water hose about 4x's per year because it's very easy and cost free. I hit it real quick with the K&N cabin air filter stuff made by K&N. It's in a spray can and lasts forever. I put more miles on the Civic than on any of my other vehicles and like fresh air out of the vents. The K&N is a great deal in my opinion especially as far as a cabin air filter is concerned. I saved a ton of money through the years by not buying the drop in Honda filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back