Gasoline spill in vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a new one on me. A friend in my bible class bought his in laws a 2017 car a year ago. He didn't say what make but I think an economy car. His mother in law bought gas for the lawn mower and almost 3 gallons spilled into the trunk in transit. She tried cleaning it out but it was all over and soaked in. They called the insurance company and were told absolutely not to drive the car. It was towed in and ultimately totaled. Gasoline had even soaked into wiring. They were paid 16k for the car. I asked if he had hired someone to mow the yard.

That is a new one. I wonder if the gasoline attacked something, melted plastic or whatever. 3 gallons is a lot of gas to spill. Maybe there was no good way to fully defume the car.

Maybe those stupid fill valves that are mandated aren't so bad.

I spilled about a pint of gas in my car's interior. It dried out and smelled. But the smell was completely gone after 3 weeks.

Bought a new B&S brand 2 gallon plastic " gas can " at Walmart .

I finally got so frustrated at the valve , I removed it .

I have a 5 gallon container & hate the valve / spoit on it ! :-(

I need to take a trip to Canada-our northern friends still get the good old style ones. Or watch for them on the side of the highway (where they blew out of somebody's truck bed)!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I need to take a trip to Canada-our northern friends still get the good old style ones. Or watch for them on the side of the highway (where they blew out of somebody's truck bed)!

If you are talking about the vented ones, we do not have those anymore, we have the ones with the spout that is separated into two different sized runners.

My first thought was who buys 3 gallons of gas for a lawn mower? I live in the suburbs and we maybe use 2 litres for our lawn mower in a season.

Second thought was someone is going to get a good deal at auction. Why would they write it off?

I was thinking that too. As I once experienced, the gasoline should completely disappear after a while with no lingering odor. I'm guessing the insurance adjuster goofed.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Eagle brand safety cans are the best. I bought one and love it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUEAox_G3w

Those are good good safe cans.But they take up alot of space if you wanted to store a few or pack them in a car. I like the Wavian "nato" jerry cans. The real ones not the knock offs you get in tractor supply or habor fright.

Kinda pricey but in the long run I am happy I started buying them. They do not leak and they don't breath so it keeps the E10 [censored] a long time. And you can still get non-safety spouts for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back