Cleaning a cat. Or how to fix a P0420 code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why write 16 words when you can make a 15 minute youtube video instead, eh?

He tried some laquer thinner. It didn't work.

Right at the beginning he says the car used is a "prime candidate" because he doesn't think it has a clogged converter.

Er...that seems wrong, Eric. And/or a bit of a giveaway.

He suggests Scotty's second trick (laundry detergent) is a better bet, which seems reasonable.

Dunno. I've had 100 percent success so far avoiding catalytic converter problems by avoiding cars fitted with catalytic converters.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Imagine living next door to that guy. You're eating dinner with your family when all of a sudden you hear a car doing a burnout, then "ITS TIME FOR, THE SCOTTY KILMER CHANNEL!" You look outside and see this baffoon with a tripod setup. I'd be livid.

Well, not to nit pick, but with the magic of cameras and video editing, he would only have to do it once or twice.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd suggest wearing a long sleeve shirt before cleaning your cat

Where at least 2 of my cats are involved, chain mail or kevlar would be a more appropriate choice.

....or shoulder height welding gloves/sleeves

I started it this morning. A vapor was puffing out and when I held the rpms up around 3k it spit out quite a bit of liquid.

I'll take the old girl out tonight and run her hard against the 35mph wind for a few sprints.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Imagine living next door to that guy. You're eating dinner with your family when all of a sudden you hear a car doing a burnout, then "ITS TIME FOR, THE SCOTTY KILMER CHANNEL!" You look outside and see this baffoon with a tripod setup. I'd be livid.

Well, not to nit pick, but with the magic of cameras and video editing, he would only have to do it once or twice.

His new videos have different intros.

I put 2L of the lacquer thinner into the cat. All I know for sure is it KOed the OE second O2. The Primary I had replaced 50k ago or so.

So I ordered a new post cat O2. The old one broke loose easy enough after some heat. But it galled coming out and left the threads on the O2 bung. Found AutoZone had a thread chaser in the right size. Got it but it was not tapered so it would not start. I didn't have the right size drill bit, not that I could have drilled sideways into it anyway.

I did have a 3/8" x 14 tapered NPT thread tap so ran it down all the way to open it up. Then used the chaser to put the right M18x1.5 threads in. Stated crooked as it is at an odd angle but got the job done. Used a bung extender too I had laying around.

Drove last night and the second O2 voltage is staying high like it should between .650v and .750v when cruising.

So it may just have been the second O2 bad.

Quote:
Drove last night and the second O2 voltage is staying high like it should between .650v and .750v when cruising.

Does that mean your P0420 is now fixed? This is without the extension or spacer, correct? Oops, you ARE using the extender! So the lacquer thinner had nothing to do with fixing it.

Were you careful NOT to twist the wires while taking off the O2 sensor? Otherwise, that would definitely break the old sensor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:

Does that mean your P0420 is now fixed? This is without the extension or spacer, correct?
No I used a spacer. I won't know for a few drive cycles but the O2 voltage staying in the .650v to .750v is the correct range for it to be. They call that 'storage'.

Code still has not come back.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back