Freezer light bulb stuck solid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The light bulb in the freezer section of my old refrigerator has gone out and cannot be turned at all. I've tried using a leather glove so I've got the grip but any more force will surely break it off. Before I make things worse, anyone have any tricks to get the bulb to turn out?

Don't really want to shut the unit down if I can avoid it and don't know if PB Blaster would even help or is appropriate because of all the plastic.

Use the glove & unscrew it . Might try to move it slightly back and forth to try to loosen it up .

But , if it breaks , it breaks .

Then unplug the appliance and use needle nose pliers to remove the lamp base from the socket .

Maybe use a hairdryer on the socket for five minutes to warm the area a little bit. High heat and fan speed. Then have a go at it. Turn the thermostat to the warmest setting while you're working on it.

I use to change a lot of HID bulbs and they would get stuck. Usually a shot of lube into the bulb/socket threads would free it up quickly.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
The light bulb in the freezer section of my old refrigerator has gone out and cannot be turned at all. I've tried using a leather glove so I've got the grip but any more force will surely break it off. Before I make things worse, anyone have any tricks to get the bulb to turn out?

Don't really want to shut the unit down if I can avoid it and don't know if PB Blaster would even help or is appropriate because of all the plastic.

Use electrical spray lube.
CRC- 2-26 Spray Lubricant

Put a rag underneath the light when spraying, to avoid over-spray.

Any chance it's a bayonet mount? Push in and turn 1/4 anti-clockwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back