Is it time to stock up on auto parts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like everything will get more expensive soon with an impending trade war, do you think it's a good idea to stock up on some replacement parts for my vehicles right now? Normally, I would wait until there is sign of impending failure but it might not be a bad idea to get a few replacement parts right now: alternator, starters, maintenance parts.

What parts would you recommend?

I've had bad luck with blower motors over the years, I'll order 2 of those.

Last edited:
It will cost you far more turning your garage into an auto parts store, than you will potentially lose by paying a few bucks more as you go. This isn't going to be as big of a deal as the anti Trump media is making it out to be.

So what happens if you trade the vehicle off or you total your vehicle and you're stuck with a huge supply of replacement parts?

You'll come out on the losing end financial with this plan. One surplus part in your garage will wipe away any savings on parts you happen to use.

Originally Posted By: brages
If you have a VW, it's ALWAYS time to stock up on auto parts.....

Hey-O!

Nothing like having a glovebox full of spare ignition coils!

Originally Posted By: lizpat
It looks like everything will get more expensive soon with an impending trade war, do you think it's a good idea to stock up on some replacement parts for my vehicles right now? Normally, I would wait until there is sign of impending failure but it might not be a bad idea to get a few replacement parts right now: alternator, starters, maintenance parts.

What parts would you recommend?

I've had bad luck with blower motors over the years, I'll order 2 of those.

It's good to know that we won't run out of low quality bait.

chicken-little.jpg

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Originally Posted By: lizpat
It looks like everything will get more expensive soon with an impending trade war, do you think it's a good idea to stock up on some replacement parts for my vehicles right now?

It's good to know that we won't run out of low quality bait.

One wonders it that wasn't the whole point of this post.

I am just guessing , but I suspect prices to go up , no matter what happens with the tariffs .

If you find consumables that you will have to buy anyway ( like oil & filters ) , maybe . I order oil filters for the little Red Sonic from rockauto.com in quantities or 6 to 12 at a time .

From time to time I get emails from them on close out parts , for the cars I have purchased parts for , in the past . Bought windshield wiper refills for all of my cars . May buy air filters or a serpentine belt that time , also .

Inspect your brakes & decide accordingly . Same for tires . How old is your battery or hoses ?

Best of luck to you , :)

I think they were talking about a 10% tariff.

You can earn 10% on your money in 1 to 3 years, so I'd say you're unlikely to save money unless it's on something that you know you'll need to change in the next year or so.

no-just-no.jpg

While some auto parts will keep, many are better when fresh. That, and when manufacturers moved to using foreign facilities to produce their stuff, generally speaking they did not pass along the cost savings to the consumer anyway. I offer as an example any car currently imported from Mexico.

No, not worth it to stock parts. There are electrical things that can be damaged just by sitting around.

On consumables like oil, oil filters, and air filters, I am all about stocking up on a deal, but generally I think about the quantity it should take to use over the remaining mileage I intend to keep that vehicle, and won't buy more oil or filters than will make it that distance. The oil of course can be used in any vehicle that calls for it, but filters on annual sales are cheap enough that you can sell them and recoup most of the cost if your vehicle does get totaled.

I don't think prices going up due to Trade war will be as big a deal as some want you to believe. I am going to leave my parts just where they are now. Local parts shops, junk yard pickings, and RockAuto. Personally I think other nations have been put on notice we aren't dealing with them anymore under old policies. There is a new guy in town and he wants a better deal. I think most trade partners will come to the table with better deals and some won't. So mostly this will work out well. It will just take some time to shake out. Meanwhile the chicken little press is having a great time doing what they love doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back