MasterCraft LSR Grand Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had these tires installed this afternoon on my 2010 Accord. I needed 4 new tires that were close to the stock size: 235/45/18

This is exactly the size I purchased and had mounted and balanced. OTD was $565. This was significantly cheaper than any Michelin I was considering. These tires seem to be highly rated. I believe it's a 70k mile tire, which means I could get 80-90k miles out of them since this car is mostly driven on the highway.

My initial thoughts: they look good and roll smooth. Quiet, even in my Accord.

Last edited:
Had a set on my previous 2003 Grand Prix GTP. They were good tires even with the blower and mods they kept good traction...most of the time.
They were quiet and really nice in rainy Washington. I had them for 5 years and 35,000ish miles.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
At that price I would have got the Cooper Grand Touring.

Why? And what's the difference?

For only several hundred dollars more you could have had Michelins........

I'm a big fan of private label Coopers. I'm sure they'll serve you well.

Originally Posted By: CKN
For only several hundred dollars more you could have had Michelins........

Yeah, and I've had two Michelin blow outs in two years ... No thanks. No more Michelin's again
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Yeah, and I've had two Michelin blow outs in two years ... No thanks. No more Michelin's again
frown.gif

I'm usually a Michelin tire buyer for my vehicles. Michelin Primacy's came off this car. They served me well. 85k miles on them before I replaced them.

But I don't think a blowout is the tire manufacturer's fault. No tire can survive a piece of scrap metal or pot hole or whatever it is you are running over.

I wanted to try these Mastercrafts out for 2 reasons:
#1.) The price. I just spent $900 putting all new Honda OEM front brake components on this car just the day before. I couldn't justifying spending the extra money for the Michelin's at this time

#2.) Everyone around here (Northern Indiana) buys Mastercraft tires. I walk around the parking lot at work and see them everywhere. I bought a set for my old truck (1990 K1500), and they served me well, at a great price too. So I wanted to see how their passenger car tires held up and performed. My wife's CR-V is needing tires in a few weeks/months. This will help me decide.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: Warstud
At that price I would have got the Cooper Grand Touring.

Why? And what's the difference?

Here's a somewhat dated review of the Grand Touring and Ultra Touring Coopers.
Motor Trend Cooper tire review
It compares the Coopers to some Hankook and Pirelli's.

Their conclusion is as follows:
Originally Posted By: Motortrend
While Cooper’s new CS5 Grand Touring and Ultra Touring tires proved to handle wet and dry tracks better than similar peers, Hankook and Pirelli as well as many other competitors are also updating their product lines. For now, the new Cooper CS5 dominated these tests. Just like with rival automakers, stiff competition will only push tire makers to keep improving their products.

From what I'm seeing visually and from reading a bit on the inter-webs....it appears that the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring and the Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring tires are virtually identical.

Satin,

Yeah, tread design is a bit different, but they appear really similar to me. I hope I made a good purchase. We don't hear much about Mastercraft tires on here, but people in my area swear by them.

I'm ready to put some highway miles on them soon. Will be going to East Coast again soon, and Minnesota next weekend for some BMX action with my son.

Nice tire. I had a pair of them installed on the minivan in my sig a few weeks ago. $270 all-in for two. FWIW, Walmart had them for about $30 per tire less online, ship to store if you were willing to go that route. I didn't have the time at the time.

Last edited:
Should be every bit as good as Cooper CS5 tires. Great choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper uses the same tread compounds and carcass on this Mastercraft as they do on their CS5 line up.

This Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring is available in speed ratings T through W. Where as, Cooper splits it up between the CS5 Grand Touring, and CS5 Ultra Touring.

Makes sense because Mastercraft isn't as mainstream and can't justify two separate models for four speed ratings (T, H, V, W)

Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm a big fan of private label Coopers. I'm sure they'll serve you well.

+1

My last Buick had Eldorado Legend Tour tires on it when I bought it which is what led me to put the CS5 Grand Touring on it. They were smooth, quiet and decent snow traction for an all season.

Although they look closer to the Ultra than the Grand.
https://www.vulcantire.com/legendtourt_t.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back