Best Household Tool Kit for the casual user??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.
The question i have for you is would he know/appreciate the difference between "cheap china stuff" and a quality made tool. I'm in a similar situation looking for a nice basic set as a house warming gift for my brother.My brother is handy kind of guy but has always lived in Apt. so he has a cheapo tool set. what i keep debating is "yes he'd appreciate channel lock pliers but he'd also be happy with Husky brand" (home depot is closest home center store). If your friend is happy with junk tools then maybe look at getting him a "solid tool set" rather than "best in class"

Ask yourself "why are there so many different tool brands?" answer is cause every person wants/likes different things when i comes to tools. case in point in looking for screwdrivers for my brother i ordered some tekton screwdrivers since they had great reviews. now they feel like a quality tool but i hated the handle. i must hold a screwdriver differently then everyone else cause i could not get used to the handle. as a reference i have SK suregrips that i love.

Now all that said let me try to answer your original question. These are not best in class per say but all quality and will get the job done.

Hammer -- 16 oz estwing or vaughan

pliers -- i love channel lock Home Depot has a nice 4pc set

Locking pliers -- although no longer made in USA irwin vice grips are getting it done for me.

Hex keys - i use bondhus and no problems with them. my buddy Picked up this tekton set and is happy with them so far.

Precision Screwdrivers - I picked this set up and love it. really comfortable in hand

Scredrivers -- this is a tough one cause lot of good ones out there difference between them is how good they fit in your hand. ive used This williams set and this SK set. both are good most will say the williams set is "better" but the sk fit nicer in my hands. both can be found cheaper elswhere as well.

Level - if only getting one id recommend a 24" rather than the smaller 8" inch one. My father both this pink kit for my sister coz she always wanted to fix evrything https://womentake.com/best-women-tool-set/. She been happy with them so never looked at other brands.

Combination wrenches -- Does he do much automotive work? If he doesn't might not really need them. for combination wrenches honestly craftman or husky will work fine for anyone who doesn't do much automotive work. for a step up This tekton set will do.

Socket set -- once again if not doing automotive work any set from sears, HD, Lowes will suit him fine. for a step up I just recently picked up this SK set and love it.

Tool bag/box - Me i don't like bags have always preferred boxes. what you carry your tools in and how you organize them comes down to personal preference. so i'd get something simple and let him choose what likes. I picked this tool box up at costco and is great for a starter kit

In addition might be nice to get him something to work on I picked this up at costco few years ago and I love itPortable work table cause keeps the wife from yelling at me to keep my dirty tools off her counter tops/ dining table/ coffee table

When I was a kid I worked in the local hardware store. On the counter, there was a bucket of these surprisingly high quality small hammers. The handle would unscrew and out came a screwdriver. There were two smaller screwdrivers in the handle as well. If I remember right, because this had to be 38 years ago, it was probably 3.49 or maybe 4.99.
I brought one home to my mom for the kitchen drawer. We gave it a name that is better not mentioned here. She still has it today and that thing is handy as all get out.
A few years later, when I became a diesel mechanic, I bought mom a Snap on mother's day kit which consisted of a pink handled ratcheting screwdriver, pliers and scissors.
She now lives in Florida and in the end drawer in the kitchen is all of these tools. She is able to solve most household dilemmas with them. If not, my brother and I have a full arsenal.

For that kind of use there is nothing wrong with HF stuff, their Snap-On clone and composite ratchets are actually pretty decent, I love their composite ratchets in the winter when I need to use them outside, I would buy them again.
The wrenches and pliers are not top tier but more than good enough for light to med duty use.

For the guys who cant believe they are reading this its like this.. Don't compare HF to top tier is isn't and no its not good enough for a working pro everyday, in fact in comparison its mediocre but good enough and so much better than some of cheap made in China and India stuff from lowes, Big Lots, HD, etc.

100% agree with HF. I have a wonderful set of Snap-On tools.
For the average Joe, HF fits the bill. Get some tools and get dirty!
I have 3 HF floor jacks; love 'em. The oldest one is the best...

If you wanna step up later, go for it.

I would advise to look for older ( usa made) craftsman wrenches and ratchets, maybe not much more if any than the HF stuff. I don't wrench everyday. But i do enough to warrant a decent ratchet and decent end wrenches.

I have just not seen a adjustable wrench at HF that i could stand, shake it and it changes jaw size. I find crescent fits the bill for a quality adjustable wrench for what i do. I have a usa made cresent 12 inch wrench that i use all the time for mower blades etc. ( I don't know if they are still usa made now though ).
I did spring for some snap on flare nut wrenches, on the advice of others here , as i know what happens with a crummy wrench on soft brake lines.

I think that perhaps HF quality is improving, but i would rather buy used quality stuff over that.

As far a floor jacks go, Hf seems fine. You can look at all the locally available jacks and they all seem to be made by the same manufacurer. So you might as well save a few bucks on buying the same one at HF.

I don't know if my son will want my tools when i'm gone, but i might have a grandson( or granddaughter) one day that might. The USA craftsman, and blackhawk ratchets, crescent adjustable wrenches etc will still work great if they do.

Last edited:
My son is the ONLY person getting my tools when I kick the bucket. My stepson works in accounting and wouldn't know the first thing about using a tool. Good kid but not handy.

The last of the Cresent brand mad in USA adjustable wrenches had terrible finishing, one jaw longer than the other, deep grinding marks, sloppy unfinished threads, junk of the worst kind but made in USA.
Old Craftsman that are worth buying if in good shape the V ratchets with bronze color button and the even older (early 80's) with a lube ball or full SS ratchet and pro wrenches with a small K on them (SK) are bringing premium prices, much more than when they were new.

Originally Posted By: tsmay51
Nothing wrong with Harbor Freight tools in the right situation. I keep my good tools in a rollaway at the house and an assortment of cheap tools (Harbor Freight and other) in my truck and car to use in a pinch. If they get lost, misplaced or stolen no worries.

Agree 100%. There is nothing wrong with Harbor Freight tool quality. Especially for the average homeowner. A decade or more ago the Harbor Freight nay sayer's might have had an argument. But no longer. Their quality, along with their guarantee has vastly improved. And their tools represent some of the best buys in tools out there today.

One can argue the whole anti China deal, but that has zero bearing on their quality.... Which is excellent. For the occasional user they are most definitely worth looking at. The average home owner needs a garage full of Snap-On tools, about as much as his wife needs a Ford F-350 4WD Crew Cab, Diesel Dually to get groceries. If you have money to burn, and simply want them, that's fine. But most don't.

I just bought a set of Pittsburgh deep metric half inch drive impact sockets from HF. I think they were 25 bucks. As the guy rung the sale, he told me they were guaranteed for life. I was impressed.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I just bought a set of Pittsburgh deep metric half inch drive impact sockets from HF. I think they were 25 bucks. As the guy rung the sale, he told me they were guaranteed for life. I was impressed.

HF has 2 sets iirc, one is cr-v, the other cr-mo. I'd want the cro-mo.

I have deep and regular in the klutch brand from northern tool they are excellent , cro-mo.

I have a set of Whitworth wrenches that were made in 50's that are Chrome Moly Vanadium steel, they had been used professionally long before I got them used, you know they show no sign of wear at all. That's the only set I have seen made from that steel.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have a set of Whitworth wrenches that were made in 50's that are Chrome Moly Vanadium steel, they had been used professionally long before I got them used, you know they show no sign of wear at all. That's the only set I have seen made from that steel.

I just would want cr-moly for impact use. i would be concerned with cr-vanadium being brittle for a strong impact gun.

Last edited:
Yes I guess that's generally true enough but alloys can have many properties. The old Stahlwille impact sockets are chrome moly vanadium and stand up to a 1" drive, I was talking more about wrenches made from this steel alloy.

doorsixteen_IKEAfixa_01.jpg

Quote:
Neither is particularly handy where they would need a full set of "tackle anything" mechanic tools. Both have also managed to lose half the screw drivers in their kits through neglect or loaning them to friends.

Given the above, the IKEA set would suit them fine and prevent them from doing too much damage! Minimal replacement cost as well.

Thumb finder, nut rounder, but what's the black circle? Eye protection for Colonel Klink?

Originally Posted By: spackard
Thumb finder, nut rounder, but what's the black circle? Eye protection for Colonel Klink?

Pretty funny, showing your age with the Colonel Klink!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back