Is Wix that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always bought AC Delco filters for my GM vehicles. Wix seems to get a lot of attention around here, so I thought I would look into them. I went to my local O'Reilly's and it looks like they are around $8 per filter. For that price I can nearly get 2 AC Delco filters at Walmart. Is Wix really worth it?

Buy Fram Tough Guard for a little under $7 at Walmart. There are all kinds of deals on filters on the web too. Rockauto and Ebay have plenty of deals.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Wix is high quality, unfortunately they lack the distribution and marketing like AC Delco, Fram or Purolator.

^^This.

The only place that sells Wix around here is O'Reilly. I wish Walmart would start selling them.

Funny in a way.... I've seen Wix in NASCAR on the hood of cars that Ryan Newman and Clint Bowyer drove in.

Wix.. the regular filter is a very good filter. 95% @ 20 microns which gave the capacity to be able to run 12k to 15k miles in a well maintained motor.

The best oil filter is the air filter and sealed intake plumbing . The most important thing about an oil filter marketing claims aside is that it doesn't fail.

Originally Posted By: NHRATA
I've always bought AC Delco filters for my GM vehicles. Wix seems to get a lot of attention around here, so I thought I would look into them. I went to my local O'Reilly's and it looks like they are around $8 per filter. For that price I can nearly get 2 AC Delco filters at Walmart. Is Wix really worth it?

The AC Delco PF64 for my Corvette is $6.47 at Walmart and I paid under $7 for a NAPA Gold (same as Wix) from NAPA. The quality of Wix made filters is much higher than AC Delco, it's worth it even if it's double the price (but in most cases it's not)

I still prefer the Fram Ultra though, it's even better than the Wix/NAPA Gold.

Meh...filtration efficiency is overrated lol..i like the cheapo filters..granted my car is an old econobox so that might impact my decisions. Always thought the proselects were great for the price. Solid build construction..sure efficiency not comparable to a Fram Ultra but it does the job just fine for 3$. If I had a newer car id likely use OEM or Napa Gold or Fram Ultra. I also do short oil change intervals so itd likely be a waste using an ultra on a 3-5k mile interval.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Wix is high quality, unfortunately they lack the distribution and marketing like AC Delco, Fram or Purolator.

Wix is sold at every Napa. It's just called Napa Gold
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NHRATA
Are they better than the OEM ACDelco ones I've been buying?

Do you have any idea what the quality of the ACDelco filters are in order to compare them? I have no dog in this fight and spent just a few seconds searching the web, but it seems that at one time WIX was making filters for ACDelco. Champion Labs was making filters for them. And now with Fram owning Champion, the ACDelco filters are now technically made by Fram???

Numerous threads question the quality of ACDelco filters: one example - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3165118-pf48-vs-upf48r-6.html

People associate ACDelco as OEM GM products, but I'm thinking that ACDelco is to GM like Motorcraft is to Ford. They are aftermarket divisions of the manufacturer and sometimes the parts are NOT the same as OEM. Just my opinion based on the fact I have bought Motorcraft labeled parts that are NOT OEM quality.

Well I've been using WIX/Napa Gold filters for about 20 years. I use some Frams too. But on vehicles that have a tendency to drain back over night like my last Saab, the only filter that would hold the oil in the galleries was the WIX.

I also use Baldwins for some things. Either Wix or Baldwin have very tough canisters and threaded heads. So if you are running off road and using 2 qt filters where they stick down at the same level as the pan, WIX/Napa Gold are a good choice. They take lots of thrown rocks and stuff w/o a whimper.

On marine applications there is less worry about rust through from bilge water if not changed on schedule.

So it depends on where your question is coming from ...

Last edited:
WIX make really good oil filters. Around here we can get the NAPA Gold a little cheaper than what O’Reilly sells the WIX for. You can save quiet a bit if you buy online. There are several companies that carry WIX/NAPA Gold for almost half of what O’Reilly charges. Fleet Filter is one of those companies.
https://www.fleetfilter.com

I will most likely always use Wix oil filters. I've read good things about them and had nothing but good experiences. I'm not a company fanboy as I don't pay the extra money, which is a lot for one of my vehicles, for their air filters. With the oil filter, I think it's worth the money. Considering that I save over $40 for a synthetic oil change by doing it myself, the extra few bucks doesn't really resonate with me. However, people run regular Frams everyday and even though they're ugly when cut open, they do the job. AC Delco non-Ecores are somewhere in the middle.

I've put Wix/Napa gold on vehicles that really shouldn't have made it to the next OC in one piece. Repeated 12-15K intervals of VML on a Chevy truck that ran below the add mark most of the time, and a 21K OCI on VML in a '14 Optima with the DI engine known for eating the main bearings. I'm a believer.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Which Wix is 99%+ efficiency.

The one they haven't produced yet
wink.gif

But to be fair, every oil filter is 99% efficient ... at some particle size.

Napa Gold filters are the same thing and can be had for a little cheaper. They are good filters, but due to the acquisition by Mann+Hummel (Purolator owners) I imagine the quality control will start to tank on them before long.. Which is a shame because it's getting harder and harder to find quality filters.
I especially like the base plates on WIX filters, nice big wide inlet holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back