Freaking Midwest heat wave!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else here in the Midwest just TIRED of feeling like we live in southern FL?? I'm in Minneapolis and it STINKS!!

I work 45 hours a week in a non-air conditioned shop that has very little cross ventilation due to the way the building is designed. Whatever the conditions outside, that's the conditions inside MINUS any breeze that may be present. I can barely keep my head up at the end of some of these days (I usually bill 10-15 hours on an average 9 hour day, we've been BUSY). I'm 29 and in great shape, stay hydrated, and rest in the lobby when I can to cool down, but it doesn't really matter much at the end of the day.

This has lead to lots of displeasure from the misses, due to my lack of "stamina", among other things, directly related to my being in the heat day in and day out.

It also causes me to neglect household duties somewhat, mainly yard work. I just can't find the energy to spend MORE time in the heat than I already do.

I'll end my rant, let's hear from the others who are working out in this nonsense! And pray for a break!

Last edited:
This appears to be a hot summer for much of the Midwest.
We had three above 90F days in May here and a number in June.
I work at a desk in an air conditioned corner office, so I don't see the extreme discomfort that you see.
Still, as I tell everyone, I'll take this over Jan or Feb anytime.
I'd much rather sweat through cutting grass on a hot, humid day than freeze just taking the garbage out on a cold winter afternoon.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Anyone else here in the Midwest just TIRED of feeling like we live in southern FL?? I'm in Minneapolis and it STINKS!!

I work 45 hours a week in a non-air conditioned shop that has very little cross ventilation due to the way the building is designed. Whatever the conditions outside, that's the conditions inside MINUS any breeze that may be present. I can barely keep my head up at the end of some of these days (I usually bill 10-15 hours on an average 9 hour day, we've been BUSY). I'm 29 and in great shape, stay hydrated, and rest in the lobby when I can to cool down, but it doesn't really matter much at the end of the day.

This has lead to lots of displeasure from the misses, due to my lack of "stamina", among other things, directly related to my being in the heat day in and day out.

It also causes me to neglect household duties somewhat, mainly yard work. I just can't find the energy to spend MORE time in the heat than I already do.

I'll end my rant, let's hear from the others who are working out in this nonsense! And pray for a break!

Come down to North Carolina with some 94-99F heat. Georgia was 100 other day when I was there

Two words - Box Fan.

I know I'm not in the midwest, and I'm not trying to compare what I get here in Phoenix to what you've been getting where you are..I know, our heat is 'dry' and your is humid, but I must say, I feel your pain.

I do work indoors, but I also do my own car maintenance, housework, etc.. and even at night, we're seeing LOW temps of 90+. I just did my brakes last week, in my garage, starting at 8PM.. and it was about 100F. Miserable... I had a box fan running about 6 feet from me, just to keep air moving past me, and it made a world of difference.

When I have to wash my car - which I should add I have to do around 7-8 PM when the sun is going down during summer just so the paint isn't 120+ degrees in the sun - it truly sucks. I come back in soaked not from the hose/sprayer, but from sweating. It's draining.

Box fan, or some other fan that's going to move lots of air past you without making a ton of noise. Heck, I keep a small fan running at my desk at work during the day just because I need the air flow.

Here in North Texas, We have 2 seasons.....Summer & February.
I also work in a non-air conditioned shop, It's all about what your acclimated to! I for one HATE cold weather.....I consider 45 degrees cold.

OP, I'm twice your age and work in a large building in northern Az with no AC but we have evap (swamp) coolers. Now that the rainy season is here and the humidity is up the coolers just add more humidity to the incoming air, so inside temp mostly = outside temp. We see in the 90s regularly inside and you're right it just drains you. We start at 5am to take advantage of the cool(er) morning air. The company finally got busy after 8 years of decline and we're working 5 -10s because of reduced labor force. Tired all the time and I can't seem to remember what that is your wife is unhappy about...
21.gif

Hang in there you know it can't last.

I'll take this any day over the NW Pa winters that we left behind.

Columbia sells clothing that has special inserts that keep the body cool. Could you wear something like that for work?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Columbia sells clothing that has special inserts that keep the body cool. Could you wear something like that for work?

I've considered it, however the price vs. reward factor is low.

I did for a time have one of those portable AC units that I rolled around the shop with me blowing on my back anywhere I went. I just exhausted it out into the shop, it wasn't hurting anyone. Boss didn't care one lick about the extra electricity, in fact he was jealous. I found it out back on a smoke break, in the trash. Worked fine. Unfortunately I let a buddy borrow it and he still uses it. I may just buy another!

. I wonder how many people worked in the blazing sun in triple digit heat and high humidity today, then went home and took care of business? And will do the same tomorrow. When I was your age..................

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It gets hot every summer.

It gets cold every winter.

Summers 60 years ago were nothing like today.
During WWI the soldiers were issued coats in sept..............IN FLORIDA

I've been doing a lot of swimming lately.

It would be hard to come home do work again right away when it's muggy like this.. I usually spend the late afternoon/ evening in the house and do whatever needs done after dinner.

I'm 29 and in great shape,
I found it out back on a smoke break,

In regards to the stamina, can you give up on smoking?

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: PimTac
It gets hot every summer.

It gets cold every winter.

Summers 60 years ago were nothing like today.
During WWI the soldiers were issued coats in sept..............IN FLORIDA

I call bull poop. The coats were probably to keep the razor grass from cutting them up.. That or the cotton kept dirt and grime off the skin.

Florida wasn't even that populated until A/C was invented and affordable.

I get ticked off just running to the mail box to grab the mail. Its oppressive out there for the two minutes I can stand. I dont know how people work outside in these temps. Its brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back