6T50 - Maxlife or Dexron VI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Buick Verano, with the 6T50 GM transmission, and 2.0T engine. 33k miles.

Soon to be tuned to 290hp/335lb-ft by BNR Performance.

I want to put in the best transmission fluid possible before doing the tune.

Would you guys absolutely recommend using only DEXRON VI for tranny fluid? I would use Amsoil fluid, but I am looking into getting a Valvoline tranny service; as it covers up to 4k in damages in the future. However the only (2) transmission fluids I can use are 'Maxlife ATF' or 'Dexron VI' both made by Valvoline. The shop is telling me the Maxlife ATF is a better fluid, but I am free to use either or, both made by Valvoline. I know the Amsoil fluid is best, but like I said, if I do the Valvoline service, I am covered for up to 4k in tranny damages in the future, seems like a no brainer. Just need to know if I should use Maxlife or Dexron VI.

Again, the shop I will do the flush with (Valvoline VPS transmission service, to be precise) are telling me that Maxlife is a superior fluid to Dexron VI, and I should do with that. But I have seen very conflicting opinions...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The Valvoline MaxLife fluid is excellent stuff. I've run it in my Fusion's 6F35 trans for some time, in place of MC Mercon LV, which is basically the same stuff as Dexron VI. All things considered, you should get excellent results from it in your 6T50.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
The Valvoline MaxLife fluid is excellent stuff. I've run it in my Fusion's 6F35 trans for some time, in place of MC Mercon LV, which is basically the same stuff as Dexron VI. All things considered, you should get excellent results from it in your 6T50.

Thanks SirTanon.

I am reading the spec sheet of both fluids, trying to determine which is superior; but since I'm no expert on transmission fluids, it's kinda hard, to say the least, haha.

I see the Maxlife fluid is a tiny bit thinner to start out.

Do we know which has a better shear resistance? Dexron VI or Maxlife?

Someone else told me:

"id go with the maxlife, because it has additives to prevent clutch slippage and glazing and many other things, valvoline dexron vi is just a "normal" synthetic dexron vi atf"

Last edited:
From past experience, as well as feedback that I've read on this site and others, the consensus seems to be that while the MaxLife fluid does start out thinner, it seems to be much more shear resistant, and after some use, works out to be approximately the same viscosity as the Mercon LV / Dexron VI fluids are after they shear down some.

I don't have access to any hard data on this, but it does seem to be a common thread in many discussions. Take that as you will.

Real Dexron VI such as Valvoline. I don't like universal fluids for domestic applications where legit fluids are readily available. For imports where OE fluids are not in stock at your local parts store Maxlife is totally cool.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Real Dexron VI such as Valvoline. I don't like universal fluids for domestic applications where legit fluids are readily available. For imports where OE fluids are not in stock at your local parts store Maxlife is totally cool.

Right, but see, that's the thing.. I'm told, Maxlife is a superior fluid to real Dexron VI.

What has higher actual real world shear resistance, etc?

I totally understand your position, and I tend to agree, but just like, GM's dexos1 gen 2 specification for their motor oils, it doesn't mean THAT much, when you have companies like AMSOIL who develop oils like Sig series which completely exceed GM's own standards, thus making it far superior than the GM specs.

Trying to find out if Maxlife is superior to Dexron VI. Yes, Dexron is the recommended fluid, but that doesn't mean much.

Full synthetic Dex6 GM branded is good stuff. I got some off Amazon last year. Works well, and you can't go wrong.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Full synthetic Dex6 GM branded is good stuff. I got some off Amazon last year. Works well, and you can't go wrong.

All DEXRON 6 is synthetic.

Originally Posted By: jonnycraig

"id go with the maxlife, because it has additives to prevent clutch slippage and glazing and many other things, valvoline dexron vi is just a "normal" synthetic dexron vi atf"

I think that's a line of bologna.

MaxLife just happens to be a very good "universal" ATF that can be had for a even better price. It's a jack of all trades fluid. It's not Merc LV/Dex VI approved/licensed as GM and Ford dictate how those are to be fomulated.

I think you can't go wrong with MaxLife/Kendall VersaTrans LV/Castrol IMV Synthetic or officially-sanctioned Dex VI.

if I do the Valvoline service, I am covered for up to 4k in tranny damages in the future

I think that if you're banking on this valvoline oil change place to pay out for a new transmission just because you had the fluid serviced there you're dreaming. Especially if you have your engine aftermarket "tuned", and use a transmission fluid that's different from what the manufacturer recommends.

I exchanged 3 gallons of Maxlife through my 06 Escalade last year. My dash transmission temp gauge shows the transmission runs hotter than the OEM Dex VI it replaced. Some googling shows the current Maxlife has become thin.

Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91
VI - 156

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

Next exchange I plan to go back to ACDelco Dex VI. See if the transmission runs cooler

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I exchanged 3 gallons of Maxlife through my 06 Escalade last year. My dash transmission temp gauge shows the transmission runs hotter than the OEM Dex VI it replaced. Some googling shows the current Maxlife has become thin.

Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91
VI - 156

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

Next exchange I plan to go back to ACDelco Dex VI. See if the transmission runs cooler

Thanks man.

Please keep us all posted in this thread here!

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
if I do the Valvoline service, I am covered for up to 4k in tranny damages in the future

I think that if you're banking on this valvoline oil change place to pay out for a new transmission just because you had the fluid serviced there you're dreaming. Especially if you have your engine aftermarket "tuned", and use a transmission fluid that's different from what the manufacturer recommends.

Good point.

It's not sure I will get a tune, to be frank.

I most likely won't, as too much of a worry on reliability.

There is MaxLife LV (if it has a license # behind the bottle) then use it with confidence.
Having said that there are many high quality DexVI fluids out there that is right on the specs for that specific application

Quote:
"I want to put in the best transmission fluid possible before doing the tune."

I think either Valvoline product will serve you well but Redline D6 is probably better than either....

Originally Posted By: pbm
Quote:
"I want to put in the best transmission fluid possible before doing the tune."

I think either Valvoline product will serve you well but Redline D6 is probably better than either....

Thanks... I think Amsoil trans fluid would me by choice if I was to select the absolute best.

Im having the same debate on supertexh dex 6 and maxlife. Also good luck with bnr there tune has been unrealiabile on my cruze. Constant overboost issues. They also take a week or more to reply to a datalog or give u a tune update. Ive never tried trifecta but they might be just as bad.

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
Im having the same debate on supertexh dex 6 and maxlife. Also good luck with bnr there tune has been unrealiabile on my cruze. Constant overboost issues. They also take a week or more to reply to a datalog or give u a tune update. Ive never tried trifecta but they might be just as bad.

Hey dude. thanks for that info.

From everything I've read, BNR > Trifecta.

Yeah I think they have 1 main guy who does the tunes, which is why it takes so long.

Either way, please keep me posted what trans fluid you decide out of maxlife/dex6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back