What was Valvoline thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Conventional -> Daily Protection. [censored] is that supposed to mean? What if I want Weekly Protection or Monthly Protection?
SynPower -> Advanced Synthetic. Yes, let's ditch a memorable name we've been using for years for something generic and boring.
Modern Engine. Uh, what's that supposed to mean? Does that mean that "Advanced Synthetic" isn't suitable for a new car. Come on, both are D1G2 so basically the same. I get it, they're trying to compete with M1AP but what about SynPower Annual? Wait so should we call Maxlife syn blend 6-Monthly Protection?

Sure, Mobil has a lot of different oils too... Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 High Mileage, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage, Mobil 1 Annual Protection... but at least the names at least sort of make sense?

I very much like Valvoline products and not really a fan of Mobil but it seems branding and advertising and naming products is Valvoline's weak point. Castrol has it down too... Magnatec, Edge, Edge HM, Edge EP...

This reminds me of GM - decent cars, excellent trucks, terrible advertising. (It's my opinion that) GM makes better trucks than Ford and Dodge but Ford and Dodge both are way better at marketing.

Oh, and I work at a parts store and Valvoline boxes are weirdly designed and hard to break down.

They thought they were going to knife you just like Mobil did with their AP and make the big bucks. Sorry another strike out in the making!

Last edited:
Valvoline is the number one selling oil in the two WM around here. Their place on the shelves is always empty. One now carries the Modern Engine 'formula'...to my surprise, it sells well too.

I wish they would have kept the SynPower name as well. The new one is exactly as the OP mentioned, generic.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Valvoline is the number one selling oil in the two WM around here. Their place on the shelves is always empty. One now carries the Modern Engine 'formula'...to my surprise, it sells well too.

I wish they would have kept the SynPower name as well. The new one is exactly as the OP mentioned, generic.

I think you are onto something with VME. At the Wally’s in my area, the VME has a prominent place on the shelving while M1 AP is now up on a higher shelf with less space. WM is very quick to move products off prime shelf space (eye or chest level) if they don’t move.

Do you use your car daily?, then you would want daily protection.

It's just marketing why are you getting upset.

thumbsup2.gif

I still have 10 quarts of the old SynPower.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I think you are onto something with VME. At the Wally’s in my area, the VME has a prominent place on the shelving while M1 AP is now up on a higher shelf with less space. WM is very quick to move products off prime shelf space (eye or chest level) if they don’t move.

I scratch my head every time i'm there and see them down to a couple bottles per viscosity. Maybe it isn't doing so well in the smaller auto parts store.

I scratch my head every time i'm there and see them down to a couple bottles per viscosity. Maybe it isn't doing so well in the smaller auto parts store.

There was 3 rows of AP in a upper shelf. 0w20, 5w20, and 5w30. A couple jugs of each though one grade had 3-4 jugs. The VME easily had three times the shelf space and at eye level. The AP was up high.

The other M1 oils were eye level, same shelf as the Valvoline

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Modern Engine. Uh, what's that supposed to mean?

I think by "Modern Engine" they mean suitable for turbos and GDI. It may have an additive that reduces intake valve deposits on GDI motors.

Looks like you purchase Valvoline. Know that no one else will care about the name. Plebes go by price and marketing, if not already brand loyal (for no reason whatsoever).

Yeah, even down here north of Charlotte the Wal Mart is always low on stock on valvoline Maxlife and full syn Maxlife
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Ashland, parent company of Valvoline, is a Kentucky based company. Things are a little different in Kentucky.

Search on YouTube for "Kentucky is a State" and watch any of the videos that originated in Family Guy. Don't want to insert the video here due to ONE word possibly not being OK.

This is probably another case of upper management stirring things up, trying to "improve" their product, image... whatever. They just can't leave things alone. We see it everywhere.

If Valvoline had made a true improvement with their oil, maybe I'd take notice.

I have 100 qts of Synpower left in my stash.

Ashland, parent company of Valvoline, is a Kentucky based company. Things are a little different in Kentucky.

Actually, Ashland spun off Valvoline. They are their own company now

Actually, Ashland spun off Valvoline. They are their own company now

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: car51

Yeah, even down here north of Charlotte the Wal Mart is always low on stock on valvoline Maxlife and full syn Maxlife
smile.gif

Yup, especially the Maxlife line here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back