The dread P420 code

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma with 2.4 liter 4 and 5 speed. Got a check engine light and Advance Auto said it was a P420 code. I have to get this truck through smog one last time before I register it as historic. I understand there are off road only O2 simulators that send a "clean" signal. Would this work as a temporary fix just to get thru smog one last time? Underdog Racing makes one.

Replace the cat and the oxygen sensors
smile.gif

Rock Auto has a Walker cat for about $100

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Replace the cat and the oxygen sensors
smile.gif

Rock Auto has a Walker cat for about $100

Ditto above. Some of us like to breathe too. This is like asking how to cheat on your taxes.

I got a new post cat sensor and a extended for my Accent. Code has not come back in 3 months.

All new Denso (NOT Bosch junk) O2 sensors and reset the codes and take a few long highway trips and then take it for smog. If that doesn't work you need a new cat.

Last edited:
I get that code on my Honda every so often, usually after a long highway drive or after disconnecting the battery. I just reset it with the Torque app and I'm usually good for months. I've been doing this for years. I just make sure that there are no lights or codes, and it's run a drive cycle before I take it in for the stupid state inspection.

Just get an aftermarket cat and have an exhaust shop on the bad side of town weld it on. I did that last year for my Jeep, was $40 to have it welded on.

To answer your question & not get into an emissions morality thread, O2 simulators will work to pass smog if they use the correct capacitors inside. I know several people who use them in California with no issues.

Ive had luck with running a good injection cleaner, premium fuel, resetting everyhting and going up and down the highway in 4th gear, keeps the revs high and the cats hotter, and going right to inspection after about 50-55 miles. I believe they make a product called cat-a-clean but i cant comment on how it works.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Spark plug anti-foulers will do the same thing.

+2

I had the '95 Tacoma xtra cab 2wd 2.4L 5spd as well. After 10yrs and 200K miles, I got the P0420 code too. No amount of code resetting would work or random tapping with a hammer from friend's advice either. The OEM was very expensive >$600 so I replaced with cheaper aftermarket plus I did buy the complete set of piping and muffler from Toyota. No welding involved just hardware. Code never came back but I never did get my awesome mpg before the repair in the summertime from almost 29mpg down to like 25mpg instantly. After several more years, vehicle was sold to my buddy who then traded-in for 3x the used price because of the frame rot.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Spark plug anti-foulers will do the same thing.

Exactly. Gut the cat and space the O2.

No need to "gut cat." Unless it's known to be blocked, which is rare.

But for sure 02 space it and forget about it.

One more year and then it can be as polluting as it wants? Not sure what you mean by historic plates. But if that's true I'd do the spacer, and if that didn't work, then a cheapo cat.

It's not like the cat is not working at all. It's just not working as well as required. It's still doing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back