Does owning an old car & hoarding go hand in hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now my truck isn't OLD. Old enough to drink as I tell people, but not OLD. It's not a classic and is a little rough, but cheap, yet reliable transportation. It's easy to work on.. I shouldn't' have to worry about car door dings (even though I do) and nobody looks at it and thinks "Hey, I want to steal that Blazer."

But dang.. Parts are getting hard to find for it! A year ago I made an impulse buy on a OE HVAC vacuum actuator, but never got it installed because with my year, the entire dash needed removed. I've finally gotten around to the project and I'd like to replace the other 2 which appear to be saturated in ATF from a faulty transfer case switch. You cant't find them anymore! I can't even find the one I just bought 1 year ago. I realize I am an OE/ OEM junkie, but I can't even find aftermarket.

I could have bought all 3 last year. Should I have done that and tied money up in inventory? The rules of lean manufacturing say no, but at the same time, if the part will become non existent what is one to do? Thankfully, junkyards are still hit and miss.. I broke the t case vacuum harness plug (which can no longer be purchased) and found 2 at my go to place for $5. Same year as mine with very mint interior. I'll most likely be back this weekend for the seat since mine must have previously been owned by a big fat guy.

Originally Posted By: Rand
did you try rock auto?

Yes. That is where I purchased the original actuator.

They are my go to as well. With multiple vehicles, there's never an "emergency" to where I need to go to a parts store.

Last edited:
Blazer????
I was left my dads 2000 Blazer.
He babied it to death and it was a garage queen
Has 88k miles on it. I use it once a week to tow with.

His was always well maintained but boy is it a meat wagon.
Wallows up and down the road and handles like a Yugo.
The whole vehicle is a rattle trap. A real gas sucker too.

But he loved it and I take care of it like he would...

I'm still hoarding saturn s-series parts. Drum brake backing plates are impossible to get now.

Not sure I'd consider keeping a small stock of parts on hand for a car you drive a lot as hoarding.. but I get where you're coming from. Heck, I keep a small stash of parts on hand for my 2010 Fusion, and there's a ton of those around, with parts still readily available. I just like the idea of having parts on-hand for those unforeseen (or maybe a little foreseen) circumstance.

I read the title all wrong. Thought you were asking if driving an old car caused you to be a hoarder of all things.
That being said, yes- I do a little. Maintenance items when I can get them cheap for my Oldsmobile, and whatever hard to come by items I can for my Caprice, like a clean rear bumper I scored.
I try to avoid going too far, or I am stuck with lots of parts for cars long gone, like AMC parts or Chrysler M-Body stuff.

Get some used ones from a 2wd Blazer/Jimmy/S-10, Vacuum Actuators are very durable if not contaminated.

If you own a older vehicle.....Parts hoarding goes along with it! I have a 1999 Camaro parts car for my 2001.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Get some used ones from a 2wd Blazer/Jimmy/S-10, Vacuum Actuators are very durable if not contaminated.

If you own a older vehicle.....Parts hoarding goes along with it! I have a 1999 Camaro parts car for my 2001.

Genius idea that I did not think of.

Not really, but it makes you aware of parts streams. For Ford it pays to know a "latin" shop. Ford Mexico has parts going back further than USA inventories. They can usually find stuff, but it takes a while to get freighted in ...

I dunno about GM stuff. Sold my last Chebie last year (a 1970 BBC C-20)
smile.gif

I used to keep a stash for my older Saabs, bought stuff when it came up at good prices.

Our current cars have all parts easily available so not so much anymore.

For my '97 Mercury Tracer wagon commuter I absolutely have a parts stash.

I have a daily email feed set up with rockauto closeouts.

Certain parts from Ford are becoming hard to get, luckily it has some Mazda DNA and they seem to keep parts for older vehicles available longer.

Originally Posted By: Fifth87
I read the title all wrong. Thought you were asking if driving an old car caused you to be a hoarder of all things.
That being said, yes- I do a little. Maintenance items when I can get them cheap for my Oldsmobile, and whatever hard to come by items I can for my Caprice, like a clean rear bumper I scored.
I try to avoid going too far, or I am stuck with lots of parts for cars long gone, like AMC parts or Chrysler M-Body stuff.

I used to have a shed full of M-body stuff, now it's down to a Rubbermaid tote of NOS emblems, etc. as I still think I'll have another one someday lol.

For me it does, within reason. For example, my 2001 S2000 had a problem with its EPS system; I was able to get a new part for it from Honda, but it was one of the last available. It's a specialized part, not used on any other car. Knowing that they were going to be unavailable soon, I went to ebay and ordered a spare. I'll probably never need it, but who knows... and if not me, maybe a friend.

My 1992 NSX is usually not hard to source parts for, Honda seemingly does a nice job of making sure parts are available. But not always. I collect parts as I find good deals on them and sometimes when I see a part has been reproduced, I'll buy it just to know I'll have it when I need it.

I'm probably on the "extreme" side but I love my cars and want to continue driving them.

I often have a donor vehicle lying around for parts...got one here for my daughters car. Motorcycles are a different story - my shed is full of motorcycles and parts...no cars allowd.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I often have a donor vehicle lying around for parts...got one here for my daughters car. Motorcycles are a different story - my shed is full of motorcycles and parts...no cars allowd.

Same here - always on the lookout for a donor car. I can usually store it in a seldom used shed at work for a couple of weeks while I strip it, then have the metal recyclers come and take the carcass away. So to answer the question...yes, I think owning an older car DOES go hand in hand with hoarding!

I do. I have quite a bit of spare parts laying around for my 70 Monte Carlo since you can't find these in the junkyards anymore. I have extra stuff for my 98 chevy trucks. We even have a wrecked 93 Cavalier sitting out in the field to use as parts.

My Jeep is "old" but it was also a very popular vehicle with lots of aftermarket support, so finding parts isn't really an issue. The BMW has a good selection of available parts also.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm still hoarding saturn s-series parts. Drum brake backing plates are impossible to get now.

I would have never guessed those backing plates were specific only to this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back