SAE HS806 Vs ISO 4548-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Can anyone tell me the differences between these two tests?

Mercury Marine rate their filters using the SAE HS806 standard.

They only say "97%" and give no micron rating - sounds like frontier gibberish, but the test itself may specify the particle size and fill in the missing data.

Thanks!

Uncle Dave

I hadn't found either of these datasets - good info thank you sir!

Look like I may have to buy the test to really know.

I suspect Merc is winging the numbers on the side of the box.

UD

As we all know, specifying an efficiency percentage without a corresponding micron size is useless info, and an advertising scheme geared towards people not fully knowlegable about filtration.

The only way it wouldn't be the gibberish it appears to be at the moment - is if that particular SAE test specified the particle size as part of the test parameter.

.....then "97%" would mean something.

UD

.....the article in question

Worst potting and seam Ive ever seen.

UD

It looks like mess backed full synthetic media. If it's 97% at 20 microns then it's pretty good.

Did you try contacting Mercury to see if they have more efficiently info?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It looks like mess backed full synthetic media. If it's 97% at 20 microns then it's pretty good.

Did you try contacting Mercury to see if they have more efficiently info?

Haven't bothered the mercury rep with stuff like that - I may float it out to some of the boating forums to see if a rep can pick it up but I don't want to call my Merc rep for something like this yet.

Im just not running it till I know and I have plenty of good option Mainly the new HP4 at these HP's/pressures, and sump intervals.

When the guys ask about it - Ill just point out what I can see- which isnt great.

The can is nice and thick - probably the thickest Ive seen in a while.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back