How often to change engine oil on low-use vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 that I only drive about 1K miles per year. I have a mechanic perform oil changes for me, and have them use conventional oil.

I've had some people tell me to change the engine oil and filter every 6 months (which is 500 miles), because that's what Jeep recommends.

I've had others tell me to change the engine oil and filter every 12 months (1000 miles), because that's "more reasonable" for a low-use vehicle.

I've had others tell me to change the engine oil and filter every 2 years (2000 miles), because cheap oil filters start to break down if used longer than that, but the oil and additives should last at least that long.

I've had others tell me to wait until I hit 5000 miles (about 5 years) before changing the engine oil because oil and oil additives don't degrade without use.

So I turn here, the internet's foremost oil forum to ask: How often should I change the engine oil and filter on a 2001 Jeep Cherokee that is only driven 1000 miles/year?

Last edited:
My 911 mostly sits now unfortunately. I end up getting bored and changing it once or twice a year... Normally right before storing it.

If I didn't have a stash of cheap oil and filters to swap out willy-nilly I'd probably change it once a year.

This 1000 miles per year, is it short trips?

One answer would be to drive that Jeep more often and on longer drives but you may have good reasons why it’s not driven so much.

I think every two years is acceptable.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
This 1000 miles per year, is it short trips?

It varies, but each trip is typically about 15-20 miles round trip (drive 7-10 miles to destination, Jeep sits for 1-3 hours, then drive 7-10 miles back).

I stretch it to two years in my E-150, that's usually about 3,000-4,000 miles of short trips.

I have been in a similiar situation for many years and I change the oil and filter every 2-3 years. I have had several analysis reports done and I was told I could even go longer but do not.

There is no need to change oil any more often than yearly if the vehicle doesn't operate long enough to meet a mileage OCI.

You might get away with an even longer OCI but automakers and oil companies recommend against it as contaminants potentially can erode internal engine components. It must be said that many engines have sat for years and started up and lasted without any evident problems, so you can follow your personal nervousness and do what is recommended or try to save some money and effort.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I stretch it to two years in my E-150, that's usually about 3,000-4,000 miles of short trips.

I do the same in my tow truck but always use synthetic oil filters just in case.

I would think once every 2 years would be fine in that.

but I probably couldnt go that long and would just change it once yearly.

of course if you live in minnesota vs florida could have some effect.

10miles in a Minnesota winter wouldn't get rid of the moisture in the oil etc.

Maybe put a state on your location? USA is pretty vague.

Depends on if you have time. If it is a really nice garage queen I would change it once a year then throw the like new oil into my daily driver, instead of wasting it.

My first thought was 2 years. But--

6 months definitely too early.

One year might be early in your place I'd spring for a UOA.

Is it a stick or auto?

Originally Posted By: Rand
I would think once every 2 years would be fine in that.

but I probably couldnt go that long and would just change it once yearly.

of course if you live in minnesota vs florida could have some effect.

10miles in a Minnesota winter wouldn't get rid of the moisture in the oil etc.

Maybe put a state on your location? USA is pretty vague.

That's an interesting point. Sorry about no location... brand new here. I'm in Southern California, about 5 miles from the coast.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
My first thought was 2 years. But--

6 months definitely too early.

One year might be early in your place I'd spring for a UOA.

Is it a stick or auto?

Good question: Automatic.

My Jeep 4.0 is in about the same boat as yours.

I dump the oil 1x a year, but since I've been using the same oil, I've kept the Ultra on. Been in service since Oct 2016 and has about 12k on it. It'll come off next spring regardless of mileage.

If I had no stash of Edge 10w40, I'd run 5w40 or 15w40 if I wanted to save $15. I'm a thick oil fan with these.
* Southern California.... Use 15w40 and don't look back.

Last edited:
There has been many, many threads to disprove the time between oil changes theory. I changed the oil in mine because 1. air filter hole, 2. over a year of idle and 3 miles driven ( idle to dry the interior in the winter, and charge the battery) and 3. clean slate for a UOA, to add to the "oil knows no time" documentation. And my oil has been there...I think 3 years, don't remember, definitely more than 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back