STP XL Filters - heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both STP XL filters for the LS engines (3506 and 3675) have bypass valves.

They're not supposed to!

Heading back now to make a swap. Hopefully they help me out.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Both STP XL filters for the LS engines (3506 and 3675) have bypass valves.

They're not supposed to!

Heading back now to make a swap. Hopefully they help me out.

can I ask you something? I am not confirming or denying the presence of bypass valves in those two filters (since I never shop at Autozone where I believe those are sold) but how is having a bypass valve detrimental in whatever application? Thank you!

Having the bypass valve is not a non-issue if your car is specifically modified to not have a filter bypass.

In any case - the LS has an internal bypass, so why spend the money to put one in the can where it's not needed?

Probably wouldn't hurt to have a "double bypass" as long as the filter's bypass valve was set higher than the built-in block bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Probably wouldn't hurt to have a "double bypass" as long as the filter's bypass valve was set higher than the built-in block bypass valve.

It was just something I'd never seen before. Never seen a filter for this app with a bypass, Fram HP20 excluded.

I believe Mobil 1 filters have the bypass valve in that location, that would be great for startup noise
in my Sport Trac.

Originally Posted By: doolah02
I believe Mobil 1 filters have the bypass valve in that location, that would be great for startup noise
in my Sport Trac.

M1-107A and M1-206A are without bypass valves, as they should be.

Must be some reason they did it; manufacturing companies won't arbitrarily make something more expensive if not needed, and I'm sure a bypass is more expensive than a solid endcap. That being said, it's not the end of the world.

Maybe its done to work on other makes that require the bypass that also use this filter. Id guess having one when not needed is better than not having one when needed?

Quote:
Maybe its done to work on other makes that require the bypass that also use this filter. Id guess having one when not needed is better than not having one when needed?

Seeing as the STP XL consolidates applications, I'd say that's a reasonable assumption. And yes, having one where not spec'd infinitely better than not having one where it is.

Interesting to me that it's only the one line of filters that "consolidate," and they're made in China...

Edit: I mean consumer lines of filters. I know lube shop filter lines consolidate.

Having the bypass valve is not a non-issue if your car is specifically modified to not have a filter bypass.

In any case - the LS has an internal bypass, so why spend the money to put one in the can where it's not needed?

Holly [censored] ... people who read this. please, do not listen to the nonsense above. Every engine, with pressurized lubricating system, driven by positive displacement pump has a pressure relief. Or what uninformed poster calls a "bypass". The reason for filter to have pressure relief valve internal and independent is to keep oil flowing to the engine even if filter is completely clogged. If filter does not have a relief, oil will simply dump into the sump with out circulating through the engine.

Originally Posted By: JeePing

Holly [censored] ... people who read this. please, do not listen to the nonsense above. Every engine, with pressurized lubricating system, driven by positive displacement pump has a pressure relief. Or what uninformed poster calls a "bypass". The reason for filter to have pressure relief valve internal and independent is to keep oil flowing to the engine even if filter is completely clogged. If filter does not have a relief, oil will simply dump into the sump with out circulating through the engine.
Actually, there are usually TWO pressure relief valves-one on the oil pump (which dumps the oil back into the sump), and one either in the filter or in the block that allows oil to bypass a blocked filter OR during extreme cold/thick oil events. Some SB Chevy oil filters have a filter bypass, other ones don't-and I have never heard of any issues caused by having the extra one in the filter!

Uniformed my [censored].

Every oil system has a pressure relief valve for the oil pump; that much is obvious. Most, if not all, stock oiling systems have an oil filter bypass. Two bypass valves, with different jobs.

But not every filter has a bypass valve. Filter bypasses are sometimes built into the engine. Would you like to see photos of filters that don't? My car no longer uses cartridge filters or the factory filter bypass valve in the filter housing. It has been modified to use early LS oil filters which do not have a filter bypass built-in; there is now no filter bypass in my system.

It does have a pump relief valve, set at around 5bar.

Yes, a lot of SB Chevy V8s had the spring loaded filter bypass in the block, usually close to the filter mounting boss. A common mod was putting a much stronger spring in the relief (or blocking it all together) to make higher oil pressure-but sometimes high RPMs & thick oil=exploding oil filter! My old 6.2 diesel has the block bypass too-I've seen filters both ways, with and without the in-filter bypass. I'm just a little confused what the extra bypass hurts-it's been pretty much proven that they only open at cold temps combined with high RPMs (by Jim Allen here). To me, it would be better than blowing a filter off the engine, with resulting catastrophic damage.

Because your post is miss leading ,people will read it as there is non need for a bypass valve inside a filter.

Originally Posted By: JeePing
Because your post is miss leading ,people will read it as there is non need for a bypass valve inside a filter.
As long as there is an unblocked one in the block, then there isn't a need. For example, the 6 XG5s I just bought from eBay have no filter bypass-but the equivalent HP4 Fram Racing filter does have one, and I've used other aftermarket SB Chevy filters that had one. If my brother hasn't blown a filter off his 383 (350 stroker) dirt track motor at 7000 RPM with a high volume oil pump, the in-block bypass must work pretty well-he generally breaks everything else!

You said your car was modified to not need the bypass. So, if other non modified cars still need it then what is the issue? The filter maker did nothing wrong. Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back