What is your maintenance schedule on oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is different by the type of driving you do.

2 Nissans, 1 Toyota and 1 Jeep Cherokee here...usually change the oil and filter every 5000-6000 miles...air filter every 15000 miles
Been using Mobile 1 synthetic.

For my 2010 Fusion - I do all the maintenance myself, including oil changes, and it sees about 90% highway driving, so I do my OCIs at 7,500 mile intervals, with the occasional longer one if I'm using synthetic and something like a Fram Ultra.

For my 2014 Altima - It was purchased new, and I negotiated a 7-year 100,000 mile extended warranty, which includes dealer-provided oil changes. As such, we bring the car in to the dealer every 5,000 miles and let them do it. Once we hit the end of the warranty, I'll start doing the changes myself, most likely at 6,000 - 7,500 mile intervals.

Currently 24 months on my 88 E-150. 6K on the 08 Liberty, 5K on the 16 Rubicon. PU 5w30 across the board.

I do my FXT every 5000 miles, basically 4 changes a year.
My daughter's Impreza is every 6 months (at the wife's insistence, she actually owns it) because it doesn't rack up that many miles.
My wife doesn't want me touching her car and I think she takes it to Midas or some such place every six months.

I have three vehicles that I maintain and have set up each on 5,000 mile OCI. I have worked it to where I now change when the odometer is at the five and ten mark.

I've always went by type of oil used.

Conventional: 3000-4000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
Synthetic: 6000-7000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

I give or take on both mileage and time, depending on how the car was driven, and how the oil looks. If it's turning dark brown or black, obviously it's changing time. Also heard about oxidation of oil, and the degrading of the additives, if the oil has been in a car too long, so, I figure 6-8 months is a reasonable schedule for today's oils.

1 year/10,000 miles on all of my vehicles
M235i- BMW 0W-30
328i- BMW 0W-30
318ti- BMW 5W-30
Clubman- BMW 0W-30
Wrangler- Pennzoil Ultra 10W-30

5,000 miles/6 months is the target for the Audi, but I'll let it go to 10k/1yr if I'm abroad, rather than make my wife worry about it.

Whenever I get bored for the Porsche.

5K regardless of OLM or time.
cheers3.gif

Initial change, 1,500 miles. Then every 6 months or 5K miles (whichever comes first) on everything except whole house generator. OCI is annually on generator unless it runs for 24 hours or more for an outage. Then it gets changed after utility power comes back on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dawgn86
I know it is different by the type of driving you do.

2 Nissans, 1 Toyota and 1 Jeep Cherokee here...usually change the oil and filter every 5000-6000 miles...air filter every 15000 miles
Been using Mobile 1 synthetic.

No 'e' in Mobil-1.
Usually run 6-7K OCIs. Twice a year.... before and after winter.

I don't drive enough to meet a mileage OCI so I just change annually in the fall. Oil Filter change at every OCI. Happens when you have multiple vehicles. Specific Oil is in my Sig.

For intake air filter, I follow the manufacturer's recommended interval. It's a mistake to change intake filters too obsessively, as a slightly dirty one will clean more efficiently (small outside dirt particles reduce the filtered particle diameter, and all OEM filters pass more air than required, they are sized to pass enough air to meet engine air CFM requirements when quite dirty, so volume is not reduced enough to impact performance).

I sometimes use aftermarket oiled cotton filters (K&N, etc), not because they improve performance (they don't) but because they are re-usable after cleaning and re-oiling. Especially with round V8 types, because you can use the same one on so many different engines (just dia and height to worry about). Used the same one on Chevy/GMC SBC's for 20 years.

Interior Air Filters I change every two years.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I do 10K OCIs with M1 oils. That's my normal for the last 40 years.

Be hard pressed to find another post that …

Usually around 6,500-7,000 miles on the Sonata. I use clearance synthetic oil, not picky.

The Jeep usually gets 2,500-3,000 mile changes. But it's got fancy clearance synthetic in it, might stretch to 4,000 miles. We'll see.

Since I acquired the used Prius (10k-mile recommended non-severe interval):
8928, 3374, 8962, 8578, 9536, and 8434 miles. Filter every other time after first two.

About every 6000 on the Mazda (vs. 7500 recommended). Filter every third time, normally.

About every 3000? on the Subaru (which burned leaded fuel and lacked a PCV system).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back