Stalling issue with Buick Regal 3800 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a stab in the dark and changed the fuel filter as it has never been changed. After doing some reading I now think it is probably a Crank Position Sensor issue.

Any thoughts or tips?

What year is this Regal?

How many times has it stopped running and how long does it take before it will restart?

I had a 3800 in a 1989 LeSabre. When my crank pos sensor went out it cranked but did not start.
When my mass airflow sensor went it would start, drive a little, stall and restart again and stall again.

Check the MAF sensor also on these, it can cause stalling, hard starting, grey smoke. Both sensors are very common failure points.

Edit: fcjeep had the same thought at the same time.

Last edited:
It takes a big friggin impact gun to get the crank bolt off if its never been off before. I hit it with the 1" IR right off the bat and it rockets it off in seconds.

It stalls occasionally and usually starts right back up

Last edited:
If it is a crankshaft position sensor you will only have so many stops before the sensor dies for good and leaves you stranded.

The next time it dies watch the tach and see if it works while you are trying to crank the car. With most bad CPS the tach will read lower than normal while cranking.

I had a 3.8 (Grand Prix) that had a bad fuel pressure regulator. Easy to check, if you have fuel on the vacuum side it is bad. This vehicle would stall on long coasting conditions and long red lights. Always started right back up.

I bet it'll throw a code when it begins to stall more frequently as opposed to "occasionally" like you said earlier. I think the successful ignition cycles between the occasional stalls may prevent a code from being set or erase a code that was set that you may not have had a chance to read.

Last edited:
*Unplug the MAF & start the engine.
*Let it idle for a little while to learn "Speed Density" tables.
*Do not clear the MAF performance or circuit out of range codes.
*Drive the vehicle normally.
*If stalling persists.....Most likely not a MAF sensor problem.

This system includes a MAP sensor & can operate pretty well without a MAF/In Speed Density Mode.

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
I had a 3.8 (Grand Prix) that had a bad fuel pressure regulator. Easy to check, if you have fuel on the vacuum side it is bad. This vehicle would stall on long coasting conditions and long red lights. Always started right back up.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back