How far would you go? Ford 2.5L, 80% long highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm feeling guilty the Valvoline SynPower (D1G2 formula) in my Escape is at about 7400 miles but I've got two more back to back rentals for about a month so depending on how much they drive it'll end up being like 10-15k? Either tell me I'm doing something awful or tell me it will be ok and I have nothing to worry about...

This vehicle has seem some city driving, I'd estimate 20%, but most of it has been long highway trips (and I mean long, like SF Bay Area to LA and back type of stuff). I did top up, it was down about half a quart after about 7k miles) so it's exactly at the full mark on the dipstick.

Wix oil filter if it matters (standard, not XP). And yes, I'll definitely get a Blackstone report on this run! I have Royal Purple HPS for next time around, so we'll see how that compares.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
And yes, I'll definitely get a Blackstone report on this run!
Instead of getting the UOA at the end of this run, get it done now. This should shed some light on whether it's ok to keep going or not.

But my guess is you will be fine, unless there is something wrong with your engine.

Not clear on what you're saying. Your car? Rental car? Are you renting it out to someone else? Please clarify.

FWIW - I have the same Ford 2.5L engine in my Fusion. I regularly do 7,500 mile OCIs, and my driving is about 90% highway, at 70-75mph, in Phoenix (hot and dusty). I've gone longer too, on full syn, but most of my OCIs are synthetic blend.

The Ford 2.5L is a very durable engine, so if you're asking if you can do 7,500 mile (or more) OCIs on a full synthetic with a good filter, with that kind of driving, then I'd say the answer is very likely yes. Really depends on how hard of a driver the person doing the driving is.

Also, make sure the 6F35 trans in that Escape is current on its Mercon LV fluid.. if it's been more than 30,000 miles since its last drain & fill, I'd do it ASAP.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Not clear on what you're saying. Your car? Rental car? Are you renting it out to someone else? Please clarify.

He's renting the car out on Turo. That used to be in his signature but has since been removed.

https://turo.com/

Originally Posted By: PimTac
One hour for peace of mind. I would change it.

+1, as fas renters go I'd opt for severe service schedule.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: SirTanon

He's renting the car out on Turo. That used to be in his signature but has since been removed.

https://turo.com/

Ah.. yeah. Not familiar with them, but his question makes more sense now. Personally, I'd feel VERY uncomfortable with relative strangers driving my car for any length of time, let alone long stretches.. So based on that, I agree - change the oil now. There's no telling how hard the renters are going to be on the car. The 2.5 is a workhorse engine, but hard driving will break that oil down. Better to start with fresh oil in the sump.

By the way, OLM has 8% left. I'm going to reset it before it leaves for the next trip because I don't want it to tell them to change the oil...

Some clarification.

1. I rent out the car on Turo. I try to avoid mentioning this because almost every time people start derailing the thread going on how stupid I am. Let's move on.

2. I have a tracking device on the vehicle that also monitors engine data, any current or pending codes, where the vehicle is, current/past trip data, any harsh braking or acceleration. To data NOBODY has been abusive to the vehicle. An occasional harsh acceleration or braking especially when people are driving downtown SF but other than that 0 or almost 0 on every trip.

3. I can no longer do my own oil changes. I spilled tranny fluid once and now I can do longer do any "fluid related work" behind my job like I used to, and I can't do it here at the apartment building either. I often take my vehicles to a local shop that will do my provided oil and filter for $15 but they are busy today. If I wanted an oil change today I'd have to spend $100 (since I refuse to use anything but full synthetic in the Escape) at the local Valvoline Instant Oil Change location.

4. Yes, transmission service (drain and fill) with Motorcraft Mercon LV every 30K, I did it when I bought it around 65K and I plan to do it at 90K again.

Last edited:
Do you expect the next 2 rentals to really put that many miles on it?

And I thought you were in New York?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Nope, not in NY... I was there once for like a week like 5+ years ago though...

I have no idea how many miles they are gonna put on the car but the rental starting today is til the 15th and then the next one is pretty long... from the 16th to August 3rd. But most people rent my vehicle to drive long distances since I'm one of the few Turo hosts (at least in this area) with unlimited miles offered.

Last rental was 5 days and they drove over 1000 miles. One before that was 3 days and they drove 1200.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JLTD
Agree with UOA now, to figure out if it needs changing between the two rentals or after the long one.

As much as I would like to do that, by the time I bother to get out a bit of oil for a UOA I may as well do an oil change... so this is out.

Nope, not in NY... I was there once for like a week like 5+ years ago though...

I have no idea how many miles they are gonna put on the car but the rental starting today is til the 15th and then the next one is pretty long... from the 16th to August 3rd. But most people rent my vehicle to drive long distances since I'm one of the few Turo hosts (at least in this area) with unlimited miles offered.

Last rental was 5 days and they drove over 1000 miles. One before that was 3 days and they drove 1200.
Oh, so the move fell through I'm guessing? Because you used to post a lot about towing your Escape with the Suburban to NY.

1,200 miles in 3 days!? Wow. I can't imagine what they're doing?

It will be fine. I would not change the oil until after the two up coming rentals are done. I've taken cheap synthetics out that far without a problem.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Agree with UOA now, to figure out if it needs changing between the two rentals or after the long one.

As much as I would like to do that, by the time I bother to get out a bit of oil for a UOA I may as well do an oil change... so this is out.

Bummer...maybe ask the long rental about how far they plan to drive? "To make sure you won't have to worry about the oil"

Oh, so the move fell through I'm guessing? Because you used to post a lot about towing your Escape with the Suburban to NY. 1,200 miles in 3 days!? Wow. I can't imagine what they're doing?

It was NC, not NY, but yeah, was gonna move with my then-partner but it didn't work out. And they drove to SoCal and back, it's pretty nuts how many people do that - I didn't realize that until I started renting out this car and keeping an eye on the tracking device. People drive from the Bay Area to SoCal and back all the time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back