Starting from scratch: 1965 Mustang, what coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am rebuilding my old Mustang with a new engine (Ford 5.0/302 cast iron roller cam block with aluminum AFR cylinder heads) and a new aluminum radiator and a new heater core and hoses. Given all of the technological changes to coolant chemistry through the years and this decidedly non-stock build, what kind of coolant should I use when building from scratch? It would be convenient to choose a chemistry that is available through the aftermarket such as Prestone or Zerex, but which long-life formula would be best - HOAT, OAT, P-HOAT, etc?

My 2016 Ford F150 uses Motorcraft Specialty Orange which seems to be somewhat similar to the GM DexCool, and my wife's Mazda CX-5 uses a long-life Asian FL-22 formula. I don't necessarily need to match with either vehicle, but I would like to choose the best long-life formula for my car and am open to any suggestions. If you were starting from scratch what would you use?

Thanks,
Greg

Zerex G05.

There are no soldered components because you switched to an aluminum radiator, so the old school green antifreeze is out.

You don't know how Dex-cool would affect the gaskets in your setup, so that is out.

Wow. I've never seen such a unilateral response on any thread here on BITOG previously.. this is amazing.

That said, I agree that G05 is a perfect choice in this application. Cheap, easy to find, and top notch.

I want to thank everyone for the fast and nearly unanimous opinions! Thank you so much for your insights.

Best,
Greg

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Wow. I've never seen such a unilateral response on any thread here on BITOG previously.. this is amazing.

Probably a BITOG first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back