2005 Mustang GT, where did this come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

While installing headers on my 2005 Mustang GT, I found this lying on the ground afterwards. I looked all over and cannot find where it came from. Does anybody know? It is about 3.5 inches across.

Sometimes theres caps on top of the strut/shock housing. Looks like a BMW cap that fits over the nut on the top of the shock, but measures too big.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
access cover in front wheelwell splash shields to access the headlight bulbs?

Thats probably it or some other cover, there should one the same on the other side if its for the headlights. Thinking about it more that would fit if he removed the liners to fit the headers.

Sorry for late response. Had thunderstorms move through yesterday afternoon and had to deal with water in basement of MIL`s house. It is not a headlight access cover or strut tower cover. Mustangs have neither. I have posted this on a few Mustang forums and nobody knows where it goes. I did not have to remove fender liners for the header install but I did have to stick my arm in very tight places. I of course looked in these places and could not find where it goes. From the paint dot on it, you can tell it came from the factory because thats what they do to check off that something was done. The back side has clips (ears) so it is pushed on and not turned on. The hunt continues. I hope this is not like the plug that you used to find in Ford auto transmissions. Old timers will know what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted By: LAGA
Sorry for late response. Had thunderstorms move through yesterday afternoon and had to deal with water in basement of MIL`s house. It is not a headlight access cover or strut tower cover. Mustangs have neither. I have posted this on a few Mustang forums and nobody knows where it goes. I did not have to remove fender liners for the header install but I did have to stick my arm in very tight places. I of course looked in these places and could not find where it goes. From the paint dot on it, you can tell it came from the factory because thats what they do to check off that something was done. The back side has clips (ears) so it is pushed on and not turned on. The hunt continues. I hope this is not like the plug that you used to find in Ford auto transmissions. Old timers will know what I'm talking about.

LOL I found the plug in my auto transmission when I had my 1998 Mustang GT and was really worried about it until I checked the forums. My 2000 Mustang GT either didn't have the plug or someone else had already serviced the transmission.

I'll look around on my wife's 2010 Mustang GT and see if I can find that part. Even though the body style changed the part may still be there on the newer ones.

Edit: I couldn't find that part on the 2010.

Last edited:
My first time was around 1980. Changing trans fluid on a '77 E-150 van. I walked into an AAmco shop with the plug in my hand and the mechanic looked at me and said" Oh no, not another one"!

It is the bottom cap to stock motor mounts which were replaced with different mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back