Ruger Mini-14, yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rusty9
I hope you got it. The Mini is a nice gun to have in the collection and an all American classic.

I have to say though that I have had better reliability with my ARs than I ever had with my Mini-14s (2 of them). Just bad luck I guess, but I'd trust my AR-15s if I ever needed to depend on a rifle before I'd trust any Mini-14.

I was still on the fence about it, but did go back with the intention (probably) to buy it, but someone else beat me back to it. No tears were shed, but would still consider picking one up at some point. I think I'm leaning more towards an M1A Socom.....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 28oz
I think I'm leaning more towards an M1A Socom.....
grin.gif

Check out the James River Armory M-14 Paratrooper. A classier rifle, IMHO. And it has a forged receiver, for less money.

Originally Posted By: billt460
grin.gif

Be ready to part with over 3 times the money if you do. ($1,800.00+).

Yeah, for sure. Pay to play, right?
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
grin.gif

Check out the James River Armory M-14 Paratrooper. A classier rifle, IMHO. And it has a forged receiver, for less money.

I'll look into those. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Depends on intended use. For PD, I'd take the M1 carbine with JHP to avoid overpenetration noting M1 carbine in ball or RNSP will penetrate Level III body armor (check you tube).

This brings up another good point in favor of the Mini 14. There is very little to choose from in .30 Carbine ammunition. FMJ Ball, and some ineffective 110 Gr. Soft Point and hollow point. With .223 / 5.56 MM there is an all but unlimited choice in ammunition for just about every task you could possibly think of. There is frangible for personal home defense that will not over penetrate. Light thin jacketed, exploding varmint bullets. Soft point, hollow point, Ballistic Tip, FMJ, all in just about any and every bullet weight from 40 to 80 grains. And everything in between.

M1 carbine ballistic gel test with JHP vs. FMJ.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/03/30-carbine-ballistic-gel-test/#axzz5Knq6mTbR

I'm seriously considering buying a M1 carbine for my petite wife to use for her primary home defense firearm with JHP. It'll be way less intimidating than 12 gauge shotgun, and the semi-auto makes operation easy.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/11/14/an-m1-carbine-for-home-defense/

I used to have a Universal M1 carbine (with ball ammo of couse) that was my budget bachelor home defense weapon but I sold it over 10 years ago. I still have the polymer magazine floating around, I sold it with a 30 round non-military mag.

I have a new (unused) Chinese SKS from 30ish years ago but it's still in packing grease and has the stripper fed fixed magazine, so I don't want to devote that to my wife's home defense use.

grin.gif

Be ready to part with over 3 times the money if you do. ($1,800.00+).
They have lost their mind.

If y'all had a choice between an M1 Carbine and a Mini 14, which would you choose?

Depends on intended use. For PD, I'd take the M1 carbine with JHP to avoid overpenetration noting M1 carbine in ball or RNSP will penetrate Level III body armor (check youtube).

For full out combat where overpenetration and collateral damage is just part of the package, the Mini 14 would be more appropriate.

For hunting deer, feral pigs, etc. either will do the job with the right ammo in brush country. Past 100 yards the Mini 14 would be the better choice.
The 30 Carbine will NOT penetrate level III armor(DOJ rated to resist 3 hits with 7.62 NATO ball at 2780fps). It will penetrate level IIIA armor(44mag resistant at 1400fps). Both rounds will "over-penetrate" if you miss your target.

Be careful when you start shopping for shortened M-14 / M1-A's. Springfield took their time, and designed and modified their gas system to run correctly on both the SOCOM and the Scout. A lot of chopped and shortened Garand action rifles don't run correctly. Or else have issues bending Op-Rods because they are over gassed. Springfield SOCOM's run beautifully on any ammunition that the standard M1-A rifle will run on. Springfield also has an excellent warranty to back up their products.

If y'all had a choice between an M1 Carbine and a Mini 14, which would you choose?

The M1 carbine is a 75 year old gun. Has it been maintained? Are the springs in good condition? Are the magazines in good condition, with good feed lips, and good springs?

Both are likely to be excellent home defense weapons. I would choose the mini-14 every time. Its dead nuts reliable, and comparing gun to gun, likely to be in better condition and shape and better maintained. Plus, if a Mini 14 ever gives you problems, you ship it right back to Ruger and they fix it for free. You cant ship your M1 carbine back to its manufacturer for repair.

Depends on intended use. For PD, I'd take the M1 carbine with JHP to avoid over-penetration noting M1 carbine in ball or RNSP will penetrate Level III body armor (check youtube).

For full out combat where over-penetration and collateral damage is just part of the package, the Mini 14 would be more appropriate.

Over penetration with .223 is widely blown out of proportion. This is why almost every police dept in the country switched from 9MM sub guns to AR15 rifles for their SWAT team. Better terminal performance, less over penetration risk. Many .223 bullet designs offer drastically less over-penetration concerns. The .223 is high velocity, low sectional density, so the right projectile slows down and/or breaks apart when it strikes building materials.

Be careful when you start shopping for shortened M-14 / M1-A's. Springfield took their time, and designed and modified their gas system to run correctly on both the SOCOM and the Scout. A lot of chopped and shortened Garand action rifles don't run correctly. Or else have issues bending Op-Rods because they are over gassed. Springfield SOCOM's run beautifully on any ammunition that the standard M1-A rifle will run on. Springfield also has an excellent warranty to back up their products.

Good to know. Thanks!

Good to know. Thanks!

Where you really have to be careful, is with a lot of these shortened M1 Garand "Tanker" rifles. Build quality is all over the place on these things. And many of them have nothing but problems from an operational standpoint. Back when these things took off popularity wise, everybody and their brother was building them. Some knew what they were doing, but many did not. As a result if you happen to come across one be very careful. Stay away from gun show Tankers unless you personally know the seller, along with the history of the rifle. Reputable people will be able to provide at least some traceability on that.

Springfield made perhaps one actual shortened Garand “Tanker” prototype. It’s in the Museum in Springfield. Everything for sale has been modified by Lord knows who.

I would avoid them like the plague.

Folks like them, but you take a rifle with collector value, and spend money diminishing that value. It makes little sense to me since the Garand is such a good, reliable rifle as built.

For the record, all of my Garands are taken out regularly and enjoyed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Springfield made perhaps one actual shortened Garand “Tanker” prototype. It’s in the Museum in Springfield. Everything for sale has been modified by Lord knows who.

I would avoid them like the plague.

Folks like them, but you take a rifle with collector value, and spend money diminishing that value.

Very true. Tony Giacobbe, better known as, "The Garand Guy", has a very good reputation for Garand builds over the years. He offers a "Tanker", along with a "Jungle Carbine" for sale. And both have gotten very good reviews. If I felt that I could no longer live without one of these things, he would be the guy I would purchase from.

But I'm like you, I can't see chopping up an all original rifle with historic value, just to create something else that never really existed in the first place. I guess it's a lot like these guys who take original Model A Fords, and chop and channel them into some, "Resto Mod" abortion.

question ?

are the tanker and jungle carbines relating back to the Lee Enfields ?

there's prototypes and production models of those in the local museum...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
question ?

are the tanker and jungle carbines relating back to the Lee Enfields ?

there's prototypes and production models of those in the local museum...

I think they are a takeoff on that same type of short, handy rifle. Although as Astro say's, they were never actually produced and issued to troops. With just a few prototypes being manufactured, which are now all in museums. But they do have a solid commercial market for citizens. This guy produces both.

http://garandguy.com/

If I had a bare Garand receiver, building it into a Tanker would be fine.

But the guys that are taking good, historic rifles (e.g. an IHC with the original LMR barrel) and converting them, well, that just pains me...

My on and off Mini 14 quest is back on again, stopped at a local gun shop not too long before their closing time and they seemed more intent on getting the place locked down than dealing with potential customers (understandable to a degree).
I did find a used rifle with a scope in a used/consignment rack for $750, not really interested in a scope at this point and the rifle seemed well used...I much prefer to go new unless I find an incredible deal on something that is lightly used.
I think I spotted at least one Mini 14 locked up in a "new" rack well back from a counter just before I needed to run along to pick up a prescription before my pharmacy closed, somebody finally asked me if I wanted help around then and I had to tell them I would come back another time. Too far away to see any prices...I also noticed what appeared to be a 50 cal sniper rifle sitting not too far from where I was looking!

I am drawn to the Mini 14 mostly by its classic look, the gas piston action vs. the direct impingement system of a typical AR, plentiful and cheap ammo, and its reputation for reliability...I am turned off somewhat by price and the question of magazine availability. I would say that I also like the idea of owning a descendant of the M1 Garand my dad carried in WWII, but he confessed that his rifle was not so important to him as a mortar crew member and he traded the Garand away for an M1 carbine to save some weight.
I think a basic ranch rifle would be perfect for me, don't see any reason to get into the extra expense of a target or NRA model. Usage would be some casual range time with a gun nut friend (he favors the modern Garands) and just having something around in my house in the woods...for example, we had a rabid raccoon hanging around our place for some time a few years ago and I probably would have just shot the thing if I had something around rather than worrying about my daughter running across the thing or getting the town involved.
Any tips about this rifle and the maintenance involved would be useful to me, I guess I might still divert towards an AR type rifle in the end (a salesman was pushing the S&W M&P15 Sport II last time I stopped in that shop and the price was attractive) but the Mini 14 is still my "dream". I have to be honest and confess that the reaction of my wife and daughter to seeing an old fashioned wooden stock rifle as compared to the scary "assault rifle" (stupid term for a civilian semi auto weapon) look of an AR is a factor here...them freaking out can only make my life more difficult.

For just a few dollars more you can get an accurate AR that will have much better resale if that day ever comes. Also the Ruuuuger has very little after market stuff if your compare it to the AR.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
For just a few dollars more you can get an accurate AR that will have much better resale if that day ever comes. Also the Ruuuuger has very little after market stuff if your compare it to the AR.

If end up going AR, it will be to save money compared to the Mini 14.
It's going to be a long time before I'll be seriously testing the accuracy of anything that I buy given my lack of shooting skills.
My understanding is that the accuracy on more recent Mini 14s has been improved while the rifle retains the reliability for which it is well known.
My main concern about the ARs is that the gas tube action will require more maintenance than I will be happy with providing...although I know that gas piston ARs can be had for more $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back