2015 Civic 1.8L 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
My daughter just purchased a fine condition '15 Civic which requires 0W20 and nothing else is listed in the OM for optional oil wgts. I have a boat load of 5W20/5W30 QSGB along with 5W20 QSUD as well. Sure, I can buy 0W20 and it's not a problem.

However, I am curious if anyone here at Bob's has the same generation Civic motor and running other wgt oils, dino or syn?

Thanks,
CB

I run 5W30 in both my 2015 Civic Si (2.4L) and wife's 2015 Civic EX-L (1.8L) vehicles. I have a friend that owns an independent Honda/Acura repair shop and he said not to worry about the oil we are using.

We both had 2008 Civics in the past and they all required 5W30 so we stayed with it for the 2015 models.

Originally Posted By: Richie
I run 5W30 in both my 2015 Civic Si (2.4L) and wife's 2015 Civic EX-L (1.8L) vehicles. I have a friend that owns an independent Honda/Acura repair shop and he said not to worry about the oil we are using.

We both had 2008 Civics in the past and they all required 5W30 so we stayed with it for the 2015 models.

Is the 5W30 oil that you're using, a dino or syn?
Have you noticed any fuel economy penalty, noise, vibration/smoothness in the EX-L(1.8L) by using 5W30 compared to 0W20?

IDK what brand oil or wgt is currently in the engine however, the OLM is still showing 80%. I will change it out early so I can get my own baseline and know where we stand with the OCI.

The selling dealer(not the owner) of this Civic insisted on MOBIL 1 0W20 @ 5000 mile OCI. I DON'T THINK SO!
I run every dino oil at that OCI. Nothing against Mobil 1 but, I'd certainly run it way longer than 5K miles.

Other opinions are welcome.

CB

Last edited:
Run the 5W30. I dumped the 0W-Water that my Accord specs and started using 5W30. Engine is SO much smoother,quieter,and more responsive. Plus I'm a thick oil guy and I just couldn't continue on with a thin CAFE oil. Next oil change I may step up to a 10W30.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Run the 5W30. I dumped the 0W-Water that my Accord specs and started using 5W30. Engine is SO much smoother,quieter,and more responsive. Plus I'm a thick oil guy and I just couldn't continue on with a thin CAFE oil. Next oil change I may step up to a 10W30.

How about your car?
When using 5W30, is it dino or syn?

Timing chain and Texas heat..... I’d definitely run 10w30.
Not surprised your engine ran smoother with a 30 WT oil.

So did my Accord, Civic and RSX (timing chains) all running 30 WT oil in Florida.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

How about your car?
When using 5W30, is it dino or syn?

I’m using Quaker State synthetic 5W30 Best thing I ever did for my car!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Timing chain and Texas heat..... I’d definitely run 10w30.
Not surprised your engine ran smoother with a 30 WT oil.

So did my Accord, Civic and RSX (timing chains) all running 30 WT oil in Florida.

Absolutely!

Those engines are not picky. For example, ive run 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 in my Accord with no noticeable difference. Its still running great at 604k. My old Scion required 0w20 but the manual even stated you could use 5w20 if it wasnt available. My girlfriends old civic used 5w20 but it had 5w30 in it before with no problem at all. Ive rotated between 5w20 and 5w30 in her current Celica as well.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
...The selling dealer(not the owner) of this Civic insisted on MOBIL 1 0W20 @ 5000 mile OCI. I DON'T THINK SO!
I run every dino oil at that OCI. Nothing against Mobil 1 but, I'd certainly run it way longer than 5K miles....

Running synthetic in a Honda, no reason that MM can't be followed which would/should easily be significantly more than 5k miles IME. 5-15% MM or 1 year whichever comes first is the practice I now follow with mine, ~6500 miles in mixed driving. If you like you could extend the 1 year some if MM% not close to 5-15%.

I don't see why any of the oil viscosities you mention wouldn't work just fine. 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, I've even run 0w30. You might notice some MPG difference, but nothing significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back