Might trade my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am *considering* trading my 2011 F150 supercab 4x4 5.0L 6.5ft bed for something with 4 real doors. The goal being to acquire the 4 real door cab, otherwise I am very happy (now) with my F150. I feel like I have worked out all the peculiar kinks to my model/year and have the necessary, mild, mods to make it what I want (leveled, 33in tires, posi rear, ok stereo, tonneau, bedliner). It has been VERY well maintained and just turned 100k.

At the risks it overtly entails, I'd like ot see some honest thoughts about Going with another Ford vs a Dodge; Chevy isn't off the table but it lacks the visceral appeal to me. FWIW, I will start with Ford. My main attraction is that I know their platforms and product line well both as a buyer and a DIY mechanic. What I find unattractive about Ford is the multiple various nuances and problems my F150 is known for.

I am on two Ford forums and man am i glad i skipped the 2016-2018, even new 2018.
I found a 2013 with 43k on the clock and in great condition.
No issues (yet) identified other than leaking third brake light.
sunroof is solid.
Seeing all the complaints about the new ones, no thanks.

I just went to a 18 Ford a month ago. It was a toss up between the Ram and Ford. I could sit here and list all my pros and cons, but in reality what I like is probably different than what you like.

I will tell you this. It was so close in the end, the main reason I went with a Ford is because my last handful of trucks were Dodge's. I had no major problems with any of them. But I just wanted to try something different. I would have been happy with either.

Go drive them and see what you like. I drove ALOT of different trucks.

Agreed. My 2011 Ecoboost has been very good but getting long in tooth. I’d love to get a new F150 but all the forums make me take pause. Leaking composite oil pans, 10 speed trans issues, weak paint, leaks etc are quite worrisome. Don’t want a Ram or Chevy so until Ford pulls it together I’m SOL. I’d do a new Honda Ridgeline but cylinder deactivation isn’t my cup of tea.

So I’m shoring ‘ol Betsy up for another 100k ....

What about a Tundra? I'm certainly not Toyota's biggest fan but the 5.7L & Aisin 6-speed is a proven drivetrain.

My brother bought a 2018 "1794" Tundra 4 months ago & it's a really nice truck!

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Agreed. My 2011 Ecoboost has been very good but getting long in tooth. I’d love to get a new F150 but all the forums make me take pause. Leaking composite oil pans, 10 speed trans issues, weak paint, leaks etc are quite worrisome. Don’t want a Ram or Chevy so until Ford pulls it together I’m SOL. I’d do a new Honda Ridgeline but cylinder deactivation isn’t my cup of tea.

So I’m shoring ‘ol Betsy up for another 100k ....

They did stop putting plastic pans on the 3.5L at least. Mine was built in March 18. Has aluminum oil pan. The paint, IMO is no worse than the others. In fact its actually better than my 14 Durango paint.

Im not sticking up for Ford because I bought one, Ive just done all the research, and IMO, none of the BIG 3 are any worse or better than the others, build wise.

I own land,need a truck and started a thread several weeks ago on it. The 2019 Ram is definitely a step above a 2018 Ford and Chevy in terms of ride quality and the Ram had the best automatic transmission of the three. But if I had to buy something today,it would be an F150.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Do yourself a favor and definitely see the all new 2019 Ram.

Car & Driver called it "The Bentley of trucks"

US News ranks it #1

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/full-size-pickup-trucks

thumbsup2.gif
That's what I'd be spending my money on.

Since I'm a GM truck guy you'll have to take what I say with a grain of salt
grin.gif
BUT unless you are in a hurry I'd wait until the fall until the 19 Chevy and GMC's hit the market. Even if you are not a fan, I'd still wait. With the new 19 Ram, which I really like the looks of, and two new trucks from GM out, it should make Ford even more price competitive since they'll have the oldest truck out of the Big 3.

If you are like me, the price of new trucks will have a lot going forward with the brand I drive. Short of taking out an auto mortgage I will have to look to save a penny anywhere I can.

All of the major manufacturers trucks have issues and quirks. Period. Test drive them all and decide what you like. For me, it was a decision between a Ram and a F150, and in the end I bought a 2016 F150. 2+ years and 30,000 miles later, I have zero regrets. The Ram lost out due to lower fuel economy in my configuration and a steel body subject to the same rust problems as before... Did not care for the GM trucks, just a personal preference. I dismissed the Toyota early due to fuel economy and frankly feeling a lot like the truck I was replacing (that was 12+ years old at that point...). Those were my impressions anwyways...

I'm not sure which forums are being frequented, but I can state that the forum I frequent for F150's is an echo chamber for complaints. There is a small group of owners on that board that seem to miraculously have every issue ever known on these trucks. I can often read the post and within 2 sentences know exactly which poster put it out there. I am not downplaying that there are trucks with issues. But given the huge number of them produced, a few are going to have problems inevitably.

If I listened to some of those folks, there is no way I don't have a leaking composite oil pan (I don't), have shocks that aren't terrible (truck rides better than my previous F150 and its not even close), get near the advertised fuel mileage (truck delivers that just fine when driven reasonably), not have leaks in the cab ( none noted), melted rear cargo lamp (no issue here), flimsy bed (no holes in mine yet
smile.gif
), thin paint (wear is no worse than any other vehicle I've owned), have tires that balance (they balance fine and are wearing evenly and delivering decent enough performance), valve seats that leak oil (no issue), entertainment system that doesn't work (mine works fine), windshield delaminating (no issues), moonroof leaking (don't have one), IWE's not disengaging (mine work fine), etc, etc, etc...

Not saying there aren't issues. Just take what you read with a huge grain of salt sometimes...

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
What about a Tundra? I'm certainly not Toyota's biggest fan but the 5.7L & Aisin 6-speed is a proven drivetrain.

My brother bought a 2018 "1794" Tundra 4 months ago & it's a really nice truck!

I feel compelled to second that.

Genuine 4 door. Luxurious seating in back. No “issues” to be worked out. Solid, reliable truck but, I’ll caution, thirsty...

I wouldn’t trade my Tundra for any new truck on the market.

Trucks are fun, but at least here in PA you see a lot of rusty 5+ year old trucks.

I sold mine. Could not justify having it when it was only used for its intended purpose (Hauling Stuff) less than a dozen times a year.

Our Jeep can still handle a lot of smaller hauling, and if needed I'll rent a truck for $20. I got a few acres.

I thought I would use it more, but that was not the case. Not a fan of using a truck as a daily driver anymore either.

Everyone around here has one tho, and most sit in the driveway all day long. It's a thing these days I guess.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Trucks are fun, but at least here in PA you see a lot of rusty 5+ year old trucks.

I sold mine. Could not justify having it when it was only used for its intended purpose (Hauling Stuff) less than a dozen times a year.

Our Jeep can still handle a lot of smaller hauling, and if needed I'll rent a truck for $20. I got a few acres.

I thought I would use it more, but that was not the case. Not a fan of using a truck as a daily driver anymore either.

Everyone around here has one tho, and most sit in the driveway all day long. It's a thing these days I guess.

When I go to PA in my rusty truck, I admire how rust free the trucks are there.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I’d do a new Honda Ridgeline but cylinder deactivation isn’t my cup of tea.

You can cheaply buy a VCM deactivator that hooks right up to the harness. The 3.5 V6 owners in the past of used them for a long time and report zero issues. I'm on the fence post about buying one myself and trading in ol' Betsy below. Just having too many issues and things just simply not working, not to mention 13 mpg.

Originally Posted By: buck91
So I am *considering* trading my 2011 F150 supercab 4x4 5.0L 6.5ft bed for something with 4 real doors. The goal being to acquire the 4 real door cab, otherwise I am very happy (now) with my F150. I feel like I have worked out all the peculiar kinks to my model/year and have the necessary, mild, mods to make it what I want (leveled, 33in tires, posi rear, ok stereo, tonneau, bedliner). It has been VERY well maintained and just turned 100k.

At the risks it overtly entails, I'd like ot see some honest thoughts about Going with another Ford vs a Dodge; Chevy isn't off the table but it lacks the visceral appeal to me. FWIW, I will start with Ford. My main attraction is that I know their platforms and product line well both as a buyer and a DIY mechanic. What I find unattractive about Ford is the multiple various nuances and problems my F150 is known for.

You've got it how you want it....unless you have a need for 4 doors (like insta-family or kids growing up) then keep it!

That said though, agree with getting a '13 or '14.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Plans change too. I did this route, really like having my truck, but I'll admit that it sits more than gets used. The plan at the time didn't come through. I'll replace it with a minivan, and will miss the 4WD. Oh well. Life is short, so try out vehicles until you find what works best (assuming you don't lose your shirt each time).

Go drive all of them and pick which one you like best. All vehicles have problems, you just happen to have more knowledge about the Ford problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back