Turtle Wax - Ice Spray Wax: UV Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Turtle Wax inquiring about the claimed UV protection of their Ice Spray Wax. They replied that it gives full UV protection and lasts up to 3 months. Do you other members believe their claims?

I like to use it on our Travel Trailer because it's cheap and easy. Requires a bit more buffing on vehicles than Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax to prevent streaks though.

If their UV protection claims are true I'll continue using it on our Travel Trailer (not covered during the warm months so that we can go camping on a whim).

If it’s true I’m not buying meguiars ult quick wax anymore and switching to turtle wax. It’s cheaper and u get more volume.

Originally Posted By: Jaha24k
If it’s true I’m not buying meguiars ult quick wax anymore and switching to turtle wax. It’s cheaper and u get more volume.

Considering each application of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid costs under $0.85 for an entire vehicle...it is quite amusing to hear folks switch solid products with longer lasting protection for "something cheaper" when in reality the price difference per application is measured in pocket change per application.

Spray waxes are even less costly for the most part...so pinching pennies doesn't seem worth it to get better protection and results...but that's of course any consumers choice to make.

Seems almost a paradox to use cheap products (that also have less protection/durability) at a time when the average new vehicle costs $36,270 (per Kelly Blue Book).

The Turtle Wax Ice line is good stuff.

3 months is pushing it for a lot of products though, let alone a spray wax. Most spray waxes (in my experience) don't last much past the first wash. If you reapply after every wash it's no big deal, but I'm not going to apply a spray wax once every 3 months and call it good.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Requires a bit more buffing on vehicles than Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax to prevent streaks though.

I thought Megs required a lot of buffing afterwards. Same thing with Eagle One which his why I never re-ordered either one. With Eagle 1 that was years ago when the product first came out. I like Duragloss Aquawax since it's a spray and wipe type product. Plus a spray sealant but probably lasts 30 days.

My favorite is Ultima spray detailer which contains both a cleaner and sealant. Comes in a concentrate so each bottle of spray solution comes to .78. Which includes the shipping charge. I want to try their acrylic spray next as a protection booster or a stand alone.

I was also surprised to see thay 303 Spray Wax only claims 30 days of UV protection. I would have thoighr that 303 would be the best.

Originally Posted By: Trav
"about" being the operative word.

And words like " up to" being a combination of operative words.
wink.gif

It's good that they state that. Something I always suspected but never read in print from the manufacturer. So I give them some credit there. Interesting that it protects from the elements up to 90 days.

Try the below which is still affordable. Less than half the price of Wolfgang spray wax which is $40 per bottle.

https://www.autogeek.net/ultima-acrylic-spray-wax.html

I loved the Ice Synthetic Polish, but they don't make it anymore. I still have one bottle left. A little goes a long way.

I love the Ice Synthetic Detailer. Even use it on the Windshield.

1 have some Ice Synthetic Spray Wax. Don't like it. Only use it for very small dirt spots and to clean the plastic headlight covers.

Spread some sun block (don't really), it will have more effect. Almost worthless products most if not all of them. Just another way to relieve your wallet.

You sure about that? If volume and price is your only consideration for spray wax ( It shouldn't be ), then why not stick with the Meguiars, and just move up to their Detailers line version, D156. You can buy it by the gallon on Amazon for only $33. It's the exact same stuff as Megs UQW, just has a different smell. I bought a gallon jug of the stuff almost 2 years ago, and I still have plenty left.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001

Considering each application of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid costs under $0.85 for an entire vehicle...it is quite amusing to hear folks switch solid products with longer lasting protection for "something cheaper" when in reality the price difference per application is measured in pocket change per application.

Spray waxes are even less costly for the most part...so pinching pennies doesn't seem worth it to get better protection and results...but that's of course any consumers choice to make.

Seems almost a paradox to use cheap products (that also have less protection/durability) at a time when the average new vehicle costs $36,270 (per Kelly Blue Book).
Originally Posted By: SirTanon

You sure about that? If volume and price is your only consideration for spray wax ( It shouldn't be ), then why not stick with the Meguiars, and just move up to their Detailers line version, D156. You can buy it by the gallon on Amazon for only $33. It's the exact same stuff as Megs UQW, just has a different smell. I bought a gallon jug of the stuff almost 2 years ago, and I still have plenty left.

It's more so the broad spectrum uv protection that has me wanting to switch over. Meguiars doesn't really claim this.

Claiming is one thing, and that's all well and good, but how does it really compare in a real world environment? Also, just because Megs doesn't claim it on their D156/UQW product doesn't mean it isn't providing some kind of protection.

FWIW.. this car gets 'properly' waxed 2-3 times per year, but otherwise just gets a light spray 'wax' treatment after each wash, most of the time with D156. It also gets parked outside 24/7/365 in Phoenix.. 115+ heat in the summer, full sun, dust storms, etc..

full-64489-27894-full1.jpg

The Megs D156 must be doing something right...

Having said that, however, Turtle Wax Ice products are excellent products. Heck, I actually have a couple Ice products. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.
thumbsup2.gif

Claiming is one thing, and that's all well and good, but how does it really compare in a real world environment? Also, just because Megs doesn't claim it on their D156/UQW product doesn't mean it isn't providing some kind of protection.

FWIW.. this car gets 'properly' waxed 2-3 times per year, but otherwise just gets a light spray 'wax' treatment after each wash, most of the time with D156. It also gets parked outside 24/7/365 in Phoenix.. 115+ heat in the summer, full sun, dust storms, etc..

Having said that, however, Turtle Wax Ice products are excellent products. Heck, I actually have a couple Ice products. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.
thumbsup2.gif

Nice!

I've used Ice ever since it came out. I actuallyu liked the original formula better, but it still does a great job for me. My 2008 Jeep Wrangler's paint looks showroom new, outside of some of the bumps and bruises from years of off-roading. The decals all look new, too. The fact you can put it right over decals and protect them as well, is really nice. I'm using the paste version for my 2018 Jeep. It looks amazing and I only paid about 3 bucks for the Ice paste on clearance at Wal Mart. I wish I'd bought a couple more of them.

thumbsup2.gif

Looks awesome. What does the d156 smell like? I love the smell of uqw. Also, y r the center caps of ur rims removed?

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I've used Ice ever since it came out. I actuallyu liked the original formula better, but it still does a great job for me. My 2008 Jeep Wrangler's paint looks showroom new, outside of some of the bumps and bruises from years of off-roading. The decals all look new, too. The fact you can put it right over decals and protect them as well, is really nice. I'm using the paste version for my 2018 Jeep. It looks amazing and I only paid about 3 bucks for the Ice paste on clearance at Wal Mart. I wish I'd bought a couple more of them.

Cool, how often do u wax?

thumbsup2.gif

Looks awesome. What does the d156 smell like? I love the smell of uqw. Also, y r the center caps of ur rims removed?

Thanks! My one complaint about the D156 is that it DOESN'T smell like the UQW.. I LOVE the smell of UQW. D156 has a citrus-y smell.. kind of orange-ish. It's still nice, but nowhere near as good as the smell of the UQW.

The center caps are off because they're 'rare' nowadays.. like, you can only buy them through aftermarket channels. For example, they're $36 apiece on Amazon now. I've had 2 stolen over the past 18 months, so after the 2nd one was stolen, I bought one to replace it, and then took the remaining 3 off. All 4 are now securely tucked away in my tool chest in my garage.

Which reminds me - I just got new rims put on this past weekend, so I need to take new pics with the new rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back